Jimmy James

The Official 2019 NFL Thread

11 hours ago, BillyB said:

The Colts apparently won't be going after any of the $25 million dollar signing bonus he signed. 

Yeah, something fishy is going on here. When was the last time an NFL owner didn't go after 25 million? 

But anyway, Luck is 29 years old, degree in Architecture from Stanford. Whole life ahead of him.  

Definitely the most shocking retirement I can recall - even more so than Barry Sanders.  I don't think it makes Luck a wimp though.  Are any of us wimps if we decide we don't want to do our jobs anymore and quit?  And most of us aren't risking life and limb in our occupations.  I do think the signing bonus money issue is questionable though.  Assuming it was simply guaranteed money in the contract and the Colts don't have legal recourse to claw it back.  

I have a feeling we are going to see this kind of thing happen with increasing frequency with players who have already made decent money and have other options.  

11 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Definitely the most shocking retirement I can recall - even more so than Barry Sanders.  I don't think it makes Luck a wimp though.  Are any of us wimps if we decide we don't want to do our jobs anymore and quit?  And most of us aren't risking life and limb in our occupations.  I do think the signing bonus money issue is questionable though.  Assuming it was simply guaranteed money in the contract and the Colts don't have legal recourse to claw it back.  

I have a feeling we are going to see this kind of thing happen with increasing frequency with players who have already made decent money and have other options.  

Hopefully, not two weeks before the season starts, though!  At least not for the Bills (our players at least wait till the regular season and then retire at halftime)  

• Haha 1

Compared to players of the past and hopefully some still in the game...he is a wimp. I always want to watch players that have the 'They have to rip my jersey off my back to get me to quit' type player in any sport. Luck obviously isn't that.

I agree that this type of pussy shit will happen with more frequency because of the amount of money players get these days. While Luck left a bunch of money on the table by quitting,  he still has made close to $100 million in his career....so he, his wife, kids and grand kids are set.

He quit on himself, his teammates and his fans. He is a quitter. I can't look at it any other way.

5 minutes ago, BillyB said:

Compared to players of the past and hopefully some still in the game...he is a wimp. I always want to watch players that have the 'They have to rip my jersey off my back to get me to quit' type player in any sport. Luck obviously isn't that.

I agree that this type of pussy shit will happen with more frequency because of the amount of money players get these days. While Luck left a bunch of money on the table by quitting,  he still has made close to $100 million in his career....so he, his wife, kids and grand kids are set.

He quit on himself, his teammates and his fans. He is a quitter. I can't look at it any other way.

Billy, he most likely wasn't going to play this year at all. Or make it back just in time at the end of the season to make it tough on the coach to choose what QB to take into the playoff's. 

As Jim Mora would say "Playoffs" yes the Colts still make the playoff's. The O-Line is still 5-8 best in the league. Better running game and Brisant will have more than a second to throw the ball. All is still good in Colt land. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Billy, he most likely wasn't going to play this year at all. Or make it back just in time at the end of the season to make it tough on the coach to choose what QB to take into the playoff's. 

As Jim Mora would say "Playoffs" yes the Colts still make the playoff's. The O-Line is still 5-8 best in the league. Better running game and Brisant will have more than a second to throw the ball. All is still good in Colt land. 

Most of what I read indicated he was likely to play this year...but fudging injury related news is common in pretty much every sport. I know my younger son who follows NFL stuff way more than I ever did,  drafted Luck in his fantasy league. He'd never done that if it was known that Luck was gonna be out for an extended period time. 

I truly hope the Colts do well. I have nothing against the team. It just irks me whenever an under contract professional player quits...especially when the timing is so awful like with Luck. I feel the same about the under contract clowns that hold out for more $$.

7 minutes ago, BillyB said:

especially when the timing is so awful like with Luck

Jacoby Brissett has taken every 1st team snap this whole preseason and before. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Jacoby Brissett has taken every 1st team snap this whole preseason and before. 

That's fine. It really doesn't change anything though. From what I can tell, the info that was available just about up to the moment he quit indicated that Luck was gonna play. 

The stuff I'm reading about this current injury however appears pretty sketchy.  From minor...to bad enough to miss preseason games to whatever they are saying now.

Anyway...I know it's a different game and a different world from when the NFL was full of hard nosed athletes that wanted more that anything else to get the 'ring' to todays 'me first' attitude that will eventually make me turn to the professional dart league or something....lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyB said:

The stuff I'm reading about this current injury however appears pretty sketchy.  From minor...to bad enough to miss preseason games to whatever they are saying now.

This is what I've been wondering - what the hell was his injury?  Did he participate at all in training camp, etc?  If not, when did this happen?