Sign in to follow this  
whispered secret

Live Theatre

Eglantyne turned out to be a revelation. 

It is a one woman show, written and performed by New Zealander, Anne Chamberlain. She is touring all over the place with it,  next stop Beirut! in celebration of the centenary of Save the Children. Eglantyne Jebb set up Save the Children together with her sister, Dorothy, after seeing the plight of children caught up in the aftermath of the First World War. In 1924 Eglantyne drafted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child, which was adopted by the League of Nations. In essence, this is the same declaration currently adopted by the UN and signed by all member states, apart from the USA. 

Why had I never heard of this woman before yesterday evening? I can't  help but think she would be far more well known if she were male.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

@Ann Jones, I'll go off topic just for a second. The name Eglantyne conjures up Bedknobs & Broomsticks.

Carry on.

I was trying to think where I had heard it before!

We are really fortunate living in Berlin and having the pick of at least six top theatres and three professional operas. We belong to a club that puts out a program each month with a selection of current productions - including some of the almost innumerable small theater companies in town. In summer - starting just now - there are outdoor performances as well.

Belonging to the club means you have access to reasonably priced tickets. We usually pick two performances a month, plus some classic concerts or opera.

I could go on and on about German theater these days, but it would only bore you.

One of the reasons why I wanted to remain in Berlin instead of moving back nearer our original home were the cultural advantages the city offers.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, berlintramp said:

We are really fortunate living in Berlin and having the pick of at least six top theatres and three professional operas. We belong to a club that puts out a program each month with a selection of current productions - including some of the almost innumerable small theater companies in town. In summer - starting just now - there are outdoor performances as well.

Belonging to the club means you have access to reasonably priced tickets. We usually pick two performances a month, plus some classic concerts or opera.

I could go on and on about rman theater these days, but it would only bore you.

One of the reasons why I wanted to remain in Berlin instead of moving back nearer our original home were the cultural advantages the city offers.

is their German language Opera ?

i mean you have the most amazing musical history 

10 hours ago, berlintramp said:

I could go on and on about German theater these days, but it would only bore you.

Outdoor theatre is a summer treat.

We get visiting companies, often drama students, who perform Shakespeare in the theatre gardens every weekend from June to September. Sometimes they are excellent, sometimes less so, but on a lovely sunny day it is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

Outdoor theatre is a summer treat.

We get visiting companies, often drama students, who perform Shakespeare in the theatre gardens every weekend from June to September. Sometimes they are excellent, sometimes less so, but on a lovely sunny day it is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

That sounds a hugely civilised way to pass an afternoon........ accompanied by a glass of lunch I can think of numerous less pleasant uses of recreational time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

you're all a very cultured lot

I'm a colonial ruffian in comparison 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:46 PM, Kent Guitar said:

Off to see ‘Mosquitoes’ on Tuesday.

Our cat passed away. In the end we didn't go. 

• Sad 2

On 5/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, Ann Jones said:

We got our £10 tickets for Taming of the Shrew. Really good production, full of fun and laughter, with the most gorgeous costumes. It was set in the 1600's, but in a matriarchy, so all the original male parts were female and the female parts male. Made for a very interesting interpretation of Kate's eventual subservience.

Thoroughly recommended should it crop up on tour or in one of those live cinema screenings.

Just seen that this production is going live to cinemas on 5th June.

• Like 1

Saw this yesterday, it was mesmerising, magnificent acting. There’s going to be a live screening nationwide in July:

7EE8E234-5C3A-4875-8313-B7A8DEB28AEA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

Saw this yesterday, it was mesmerising, magnificent acting. There’s going to be a live screening nationwide in July:

7EE8E234-5C3A-4875-8313-B7A8DEB28AEA.jpeg

Thanks - will look out for it.

• Like 1

Tomorrow night is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by the STC at the Ros, starring Hugo Weaving.

Seen Hugo in a stack of stuff. He is always good. Some of you may know him from the LOTR or the Matrix movies amongst other things.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:27 PM, Kent Guitar said:

Tomorrow night is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by the STC at the Ros, starring Hugo Weaving.

Seen Hugo in a stack of stuff. He is always good. Some of you may know him from the LOTR or the Matrix movies amongst other things.

The production was alright. Hugo was great as usual. His son was in it also (playing his son). He can act too.

I think the director made it a bit busy and some cut-through was lost.

Just home from the Muriel’s Wedding musical.

Saw the original production at the end of 2017. This one was pretty good too.

We bought tickets for the Mandolin and Ukulele and their partners and they enjoyed it too.

• Like 1

Saw The Tempest last night at the pop-up Shakespeare's Rose Theatre in York.

Some of the dialogue got a bit lost in the open air environment, not that I find Shakespeare easy to understand when I can hear it. It helped that I'd familiarised myself with the basic concept of the show beforehand. A decent night though.

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

The Autumn brochure for our local theatre: Newcastle under Lyme, came yesterday. Best are two Alan Ayckbourn plays and No Man's Land by Harold Pinter.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:59 AM, Born To Walk said:

Saw The Tempest last night at the pop-up Shakespeare's Rose Theatre in York.

Some of the dialogue got a bit lost in the open air environment, not that I find Shakespeare easy to understand when I can hear it. It helped that I'd familiarised myself with the basic concept of the show beforehand. A decent night though.

Capture.JPG

I always try to remind myself of the story before watching Shakespeare and have suggested to many people that it's best not to try to follow all the dialogue, but just to let the essence of the play wash over you. Not that I am by any means an expert, but, I live where I live!

I am excited that on Tuesday we have one of the actors from the current RSC coming to have dinner with us.She and her husband are here for the season and Mr J has been running with her husband. I have seen her in Taming of the Shrew and As You Like It.

• Like 4

We went and saw The Torrents at the Opera House last Tuesday.

The production was good, though the themes seemed clunky and dated.

We are seeing "There is a light that never goes out " at Manchester Royal Exchange on Saturday.....I will report back.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2019 at 6:45 PM, robk1 said:

We are seeing "There is a light that never goes out " at Manchester Royal Exchange on Saturday.....I will report back.

And?

On 9/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, whispered secret said:

And?

Ha....thanks for reminding me.

It was a good idea and we'll presented. It is basically about the Luddite reaction to new weaving technology in Bolton in the early 1800s. It used genuine diaries, testaments, police records etc and looks forward to Peterloo. That might make it sound a bit dry. Hard to imagine it being but on other than in Peterloo anniversary year ( and in one of the rooms that was pivotal to the day ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight off to the Opera House to see Real Thing by Tom Stoppard.

The STC seem to do a Stoppard each year. They are usually very good.

• Like 1

Went to the matinée of "My cousin Rachel" yesterday.

It was good, but (and I say this without having read the source book) I felt the change in attitude between the two main characters "happened" rather than developed.

I guess it's difficult sometimes to transition long form writing, in terms of plot development, into a two hour play.

One thing, I know touring productions don't come cheap, but £70 for a pair of matinée tickets is hefty IMHO.