Sign in to follow this  
thomam

RIP Billy McNeill

Shit,just heard about this.

Really top guy.

His brother in law lives in my home town and I got to know Billy a wee bit many moons ago.

I was at a number of doos in his company, I also had breakfast at his house on one occasion following a wedding in Dumbarton.

Just a right nice big guy, great family,  down to earth as you like.

Always spoke fondly of his time in the North East and, in spite of being Celtic to his very core, came closer to knocking them back and staying with the Dons than a lot of folk appreciated (I believe it was a source of disagreement between he and Liz, they'd both come to appreciate where they lived and liked the idea of their girls growing up not being asked "what school did you go to").

Horrible how he was struck down latterly and it may be a relief to his family that he's at peace.

RIP Caeser.

Remember him well from Celtics heyday.

RIP

My earliest memory of watching a football match on the television was watching Glasgow Celtic beat Inter Milan to win the European Cup in 1967, with courage and with style.  Led by Billy McNeill, the story of the Lisbon Lions will always be one of football's greatest. 

On BBC Scotland at 8 they're re-showing "Glasgow 1967", the doc made to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Fantastic story, it really was the stuff of dreams.

Watched it with my Dad, we both jumped up and down at the whistle.

A story to get better as the years go .on.

Billy McNeill was a magnificent centre half and legendary captain of Celtic through their real glory years under Jock Stein. To be the first British player to hold aloft the European Cup in 1967 is some accolade and legacy to have had. He was a truly iconic figure in Scottish football and I wish we had more like him around these days. A sad day indeed to see a figure of such stature in the game go.
RIP Billy.

Weird that no Citeh fans have chosen to mourn the passing of a former manager...........

On 4/23/2019 at 7:03 PM, MagicRatAFC said:

On BBC Scotland at 8 they're re-showing "Glasgow 1967", the doc made to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

I'll watch that sometime soon, looks good.

RIP Billy