BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

I haven't listened to Western Stars today. After getting every other studio album back on iTunes I've started listening to them from the start - GreetingsWIESS and Born to Run have been played back to back to back today - and I'm thinking that playing the new album now would "disrupt" the structure. 

In the time I've written that I've started playing "Hitch Hikin'", so, sorry for wasting your time :lol:

• Haha 3

Some might think, "after playing the likes of "Incident", "Backstreets" and "Jungleland", these newer songs might seem a bit underwhelming", and surprisingly that's not the case. 

I don't know what it is, but even if it's not 10/10 music, the music of Bruce Springsteen hits a spot for me that I could only wish every other artist's did. 

• Like 6

I never heard of referring to a person as "my miracle" (is that a thing?) before hearing Bruce's song, but then I came across this (which I quite like):

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:08 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

Western Stars
Sundown
Moonlight Motel

Truth is, though, I don't think there's a weak track on the record. Before I heard the album, I had There Goes My Miracle as the weak link, but the album is a collection of vignettes and each song matters.

Those are my three, though that's not definitive. I love the whole album and each song a ton.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, risingaurora said:

What does 'ride me down easy' mean?

I think it's about dying. I was wondering if he was inspired by Billy Joe Shaver's Ride Me Down Easy.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think it's about dying. I was wondering if he was inspired by Billy Joe Shaver's Ride Me Down Easy.

Ride Me Down Easy was better in 78 

1973 Waylon Jennings or Bobby Bare?

1 hour ago, misty rain said:

I never heard of referring to a person as "my miracle

I never did either.  

But I’ve also never heard of the birth of a child as ‘living proof.’  So SO beautiful... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I'm not a fan of Devils and Dust, but I now realise that if they add orchestral arrangements, a la WS, it could finally be worth listening to.

I love the title track. That's it.

A couple others are okay on it I guess...been ages since I listened to it.

Maybe I missed this topic on release day, but my Vinyl and CD just arrived by Amazon (US) today and you can clearly see in the pictures that a sticker was applied to the front cover with Bruce's name.  There is even a weird serial number as part of the sticker, in the photo.

Did he intend to release the album without his name on the cover and was later overruled by Sony?

Last time a sticker like this was applied to a Bruce cover, I believe, was the infamous mis-spelling of Landau's name on the BTR cover.

Have others seen this as well on their copies?

20190617_180427.jpg

20190617_180433.jpg

20190617_180452.jpg

59 minutes ago, ncsprngstn said:

Maybe I missed this topic on release day, but my Vinyl and CD just arrived by Amazon (US) today and you can clearly see in the pictures that a sticker was applied to the front cover with Bruce's name.  There is even a weird serial number as part of the sticker, in the photo.

Did he intend to release the album without his name on the cover and was later overruled by Sony?

Last time a sticker like this was applied to a Bruce cover, I believe, was the infamous mis-spelling of Landau's name on the BTR cover.

20190617_180427.jpg

20190617_180433.jpg

20190617_180452.jpg

I got the CD from Amazon delivered on the release day and it had no such sticker. 

Nevermind, I just pulled the shrink-wrap out of the trash and it did have it on I just didn't notice it.

I bought both the Barnes and Noble exclusive vinyl and the CD, and both have the stickers. I didn't notice the number, but I just checked the vinyl and it does have the number, albeit a different one. I doubt the number has any significance to us. 

It wasn't uncommon back in the day for titles or artists' names to be left off of covers with stickers placed on the shrinkwrap. I kind of doubt it was a mistake.

57 minutes ago, albiedog said:

I'm not a regular poster on here but I do drop in from time to time when something new breaks and it's been great reading all the positive comments about the new album from the many regulars. This particular time feels to me like such a special landmark in Bruce's recording career that I thought I'd throw in my own brief twopennyworth about the record. 

Anyroad, so a dozen or so listens in and all's I do is crave the next play. And with each play the thing becomes increasingly more beautiful and compelling and a different track seems to come to the fore such that I've no idea which one is most appealing to me. Indeed, it seems as if the thing is actually a single precious and painstakingly created and assembled entity that demands to be listened to as that one entity of thirteen equally vital albeit quite widely disparate parts. How Bruce has managed such a feat will no doubt come clear in time. Or perhaps not. But for now, I guess all's we humble admirers can do is give thanks that he's done so and rewarded us with something so truly special. I've loved the man and his music ever since The River album in '81, but this thing really does have me in a kind of wide eyed emotionally drained awe. 

you gotta call in a bit more often bud

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ncsprngstn said:

20190617_180427.jpg

20190617_180433.jpg

20190617_180452.jpg

how mysterious 

ill check mine when it finally arrives

It was just on the overwrap plastic, not on the album itself.  Still weird decision to do so....

5 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Mostly rave reviews here so pass this by if you don't want a counter opinion. I finally listened to the full album on my work commute from Spotify. I won't be buying. It's pleasant enough background music but that's not what I'm looking for. Seriously, the word "Muzak" kept accruing to me. One thing for sure, despite what he used to proclaim on stage Bruce Springsteen is no longer a prisoner of rock n roll. I could go on but I don't want to harsh anyone's buzz any further.

So, I ain't alone...

Have had a number of listens and am not getting the fever that most on here are.

It will join the growing list of original albums that I never listen to, starting from the Rising through to this one (excluding the Seegar sessions which I love).

Probably part of the problem for me is that it ain't country enough. The country influence is minimal to my ears. To me it is a crooning album which is not my cup of tea.

Am really into Don Henley's Cass County at the mo, now that is a country album!

Just not me I guess, am happy for Bruce and the majority of fans that are really getting into it.

Cheers

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but when I picture Sleepy Joe's Cafe, I picture a little place in Southern California down Sandy Acre Way. I'd imagine that they play guitars there all night and all day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rockaway88 said:

Sandy Acre Way. 

As opposed to San Diego?  :D

I agree... as I’ve said before; I think Rosie found a home in San Bernardino. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, MacBruce said:

Playing the album on repeat as I always do for every new Bruce record as I want to learn the words off by heart. Quick mention for the hidden gem on this album Somewhere North of Nashville ?...a short song but lovely nonetheless. I also still think Hello Sunshine is one of the best songs on the album but my favourite is still Chasing Wild 'Orses....great lyrics, and that coda, bloody hell.

I love Somewhere North of Nashville. 

Also Chasin’ Wild Horses, Western Stars, Sundown.  And more.  Sigh.  

Post-script:  how could I forget Drive Fast?  That too.  

All I can say so far is that I'm so grateful it's not as twangy as I thought it was going to be. Other than that, I will have to listen more before commenting on it. 

• Like 1

finally 

dang i forgot it was a stupid cardboard sleeve

Tuesday must be a NZ post delivery day in Wanganui

20190618_162851.jpg

20190618_163159.jpg

• Like 7