Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

11 hours ago, kiwiprofessor said:

Probably part of the problem for me is that it ain't country enough. The country influence is minimal to my ears. To me it is a crooning album which is not my cup of tea.

While listening to it I was wondering why go for the Glen Campbell pop sound and why not evoke Hank Williams? The little smattering of pedal steel just begs for more.

And can the strings and horns.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Evidence of the misdemeanour! However, all is forgiven now I have done what I wanted and listened on vinyl with the lyrics in front of me. Perfect!57594B83-683E-4B6F-AB34-1EBCB9EBB263.thumb.jpeg.68a1ef5aec3db9eae89dacc8fb058d5a.jpeg

same order as me from Amazon!!!!

• Like 1

A few years ago Patti posted a brief clip titled The Lost Charro on her instagram,I guess this this is what it referred to.

Although Bruce might be considered The Lost Charro not just the album.

Aniello around the same time said Bruce had 30-40 songs written pre WB that were something different & that he (Aniello) wanted to work on,i guess we're seeing the result.

So the possibilty of plenty of outtakes out there somewhere if there were 30-40 songs that were whittled down to 13.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

19 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Firstly, forgive me. I have not read through this entire 100-odd page thread, nor very much of the several other threads on this record here. That is because I wanted to have my own thoughts and take on this, to me, important release, and not be swayed by the likes and dislikes of others. Secondly, opinions, as the saying goes, are like assholes. Everyone has one. So if you will, please allow this asshole to state his thoughts and opinions on this new album.

Sitting back and thinking on what my overriding feeling is after having now listened to Western Stars several times, from start to finish, I would have to say that it most certainly is… pride. Pride for and proud of Bruce Springsteen. One of my heroes, a man I love like blood and someone, like so many of you here, I hold in very high reverence. Proud because a few months shy of a landmark age far beyond a number anyone would ever have linked with the words ‘Rock Star’ back when he started his career, he has released a work that (God forbid) it were his last, it would be a fitting swan song and a beautiful way to end an incredible almost half century of recordings. I have no doubt there will be more to come though.

What drives it home even more so for me is that other artists I love, who are of similar ages, have also recently released new albums. Not bad, perhaps, but, to my ears, possibly just going through the motions or hoping the tried and tested formula works yet again. Not Bruce, not with this album. He is not trying to pander to any audience. New, young, old, even us loyal fans. He has made the album his heart led him to, which he felt inspired to and wanted to make

Western Stars is an album. A record. It’s not a collection of songs or singles. This is why I only listened to the three pre-release tracks a few times before June 14th. I knew I did not want to dull the effect of listening to the songs in the correct setting an I wanted all of them to be new to me, as much as possible. I have listened to Western Stars several times now, probably not anywhere near as many as some here, but enough times to know it really is a true album. It has a start, a middle and a beautiful ending. The songs all have a perfect place, a perfect setting. Listening to it piece meal or on shuffle just seems wrong somehow. Like the great albums made back in the Seventies I still listen to over and over, that just don’t make sense in any other order than that in which the artists so painstakingly set it out.

We know Bruce used to agonise over album track listings back in the era many think of his best. He may not have agonised over this one but he most definitely spent a lot of careful thought over it. And it was worth it because it is perfect. The beautiful segue between Chasin’ Wild Horses and Sundown is a perfect case in point. 

Another point I have to make is that, for those of you not particularly enamoured with this release, that’s okay, it may well not be everyone’s cup of tea, but make sure you’ve given it fair due. I say this because in 2019 I worry that too many people are judging new music based on listens on tiny plastic ear pods playing highly compressed versions of the music. And that won’t do this music justice. This is, as Bruce said, a big record, an expansive record. It needs space, and volume. Listened to on good earphones (phones, not ‘pods’) or better yet a good set of stereo speakers, it is a living thing. It breathes and moves. The arrangements, probably quite polarizing to a Springsteen fan base, are simply magnificent. I know with all certainty that I will be listening to this album, in whatever format, when I am the age Bruce is now, and hopefully beyond. I hope to experience it on vinyl soon because I think that will be sublime.

I am still exploring each track, each one is growing and speaking to me as I listen. Songs that seemed grey at first listen are coming alive, more and more colours coming out as they play. We know Hello Sunshine is a classic, and likely will be the song or one of the songs from this album to be included on the next Essential/Best of type collection. But of the 13 songs, I truly don’t hear a throwaway. Arguably Sleepy Joe’s Café is the lightest, most fun song, designed to be fun on stage, but every one of these songs deserves it’s place on this record. Moonlight Motel is one of the most beautiful album closers I’ve heard in a long time. And lastly, yes, I love There Goes My Miracle. Love. It is just magnificent. One of the most spectacular vocals Bruce has ever committed to tape. And I know that’s not everyone’s opinion, but I will be willing to bet that if we ever got the chance to see and hear Bruce perform this live, with or without an orchestra, it will take your breath away and be hard to forget.

Lastly, I appreciate that in this digital age of small square artwork jpegs, Bruce still takes the time and effort to create album art… Be it Danny Clinch’s stunning photography or the simple time it takes to choose the right font… It matters.

It was worth the wait. E Street Band record or not, tour or not, with or without orchestra, I have these 50 and a half minutes of beautiful, lovingly crafted music to enjoy over and over for many years to come.

Lovely post.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Firstly, forgive me. I have not read through this entire 100-odd page thread, nor very much of the several other threads on this record here. That is because I wanted to have my own thoughts and take on this, to me, important release, and not be swayed by the likes and dislikes of others. Secondly, opinions, as the saying goes, are like assholes. Everyone has one. So if you will, please allow this asshole to state his thoughts and opinions on this new album.

Sitting back and thinking on what my overriding feeling is after having now listened to Western Stars several times, from start to finish, I would have to say that it most certainly is… pride. Pride for and proud of Bruce Springsteen. One of my heroes, a man I love like blood and someone, like so many of you here, I hold in very high reverence. Proud because a few months shy of a landmark age far beyond a number anyone would ever have linked with the words ‘Rock Star’ back when he started his career, he has released a work that (God forbid) it were his last, it would be a fitting swan song and a beautiful way to end an incredible almost half century of recordings. I have no doubt there will be more to come though.

What drives it home even more so for me is that other artists I love, who are of similar ages, have also recently released new albums. Not bad, perhaps, but, to my ears, possibly just going through the motions or hoping the tried and tested formula works yet again. Not Bruce, not with this album. He is not trying to pander to any audience. New, young, old, even us loyal fans. He has made the album his heart led him to, which he felt inspired to and wanted to make

Western Stars is an album. A record. It’s not a collection of songs or singles. This is why I only listened to the three pre-release tracks a few times before June 14th. I knew I did not want to dull the effect of listening to the songs in the correct setting an I wanted all of them to be new to me, as much as possible. I have listened to Western Stars several times now, probably not anywhere near as many as some here, but enough times to know it really is a true album. It has a start, a middle and a beautiful ending. The songs all have a perfect place, a perfect setting. Listening to it piece meal or on shuffle just seems wrong somehow. Like the great albums made back in the Seventies I still listen to over and over, that just don’t make sense in any other order than that in which the artists so painstakingly set it out.

We know Bruce used to agonise over album track listings back in the era many think of his best. He may not have agonised over this one but he most definitely spent a lot of careful thought over it. And it was worth it because it is perfect. The beautiful segue between Chasin’ Wild Horses and Sundown is a perfect case in point. 

Another point I have to make is that, for those of you not particularly enamoured with this release, that’s okay, it may well not be everyone’s cup of tea, but make sure you’ve given it fair due. I say this because in 2019 I worry that too many people are judging new music based on listens on tiny plastic ear pods playing highly compressed versions of the music. And that won’t do this music justice. This is, as Bruce said, a big record, an expansive record. It needs space, and volume. Listened to on good earphones (phones, not ‘pods’) or better yet a good set of stereo speakers, it is a living thing. It breathes and moves. The arrangements, probably quite polarizing to a Springsteen fan base, are simply magnificent. I know with all certainty that I will be listening to this album, in whatever format, when I am the age Bruce is now, and hopefully beyond. I hope to experience it on vinyl soon because I think that will be sublime.

I am still exploring each track, each one is growing and speaking to me as I listen. Songs that seemed grey at first listen are coming alive, more and more colours coming out as they play. We know Hello Sunshine is a classic, and likely will be the song or one of the songs from this album to be included on the next Essential/Best of type collection. But of the 13 songs, I truly don’t hear a throwaway. Arguably Sleepy Joe’s Café is the lightest, most fun song, designed to be fun on stage, but every one of these songs deserves it’s place on this record. Moonlight Motel is one of the most beautiful album closers I’ve heard in a long time. And lastly, yes, I love There Goes My Miracle. Love. It is just magnificent. One of the most spectacular vocals Bruce has ever committed to tape. And I know that’s not everyone’s opinion, but I will be willing to bet that if we ever got the chance to see and hear Bruce perform this live, with or without an orchestra, it will take your breath away and be hard to forget.

Lastly, I appreciate that in this digital age of small square artwork jpegs, Bruce still takes the time and effort to create album art… Be it Danny Clinch’s stunning photography or the simple time it takes to choose the right font… It matters.

It was worth the wait. E Street Band record or not, tour or not, with or without orchestra, I have these 50 and a half minutes of beautiful, lovingly crafted music to enjoy over and over for many years to come.

This is everything I wanted to say and more. Thank you for this post Steve, I can tell it came from the heart and it made me very emotional. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

The backing singers singing ‘wayfarer baby’ at the end of the song... so simple but so beautiful. That’s exactly the kind of special little moment in a song that I look for. 

• Like 2

What I’ve found with this album is that yes there’s a new sound, and the orchestration is primarily the focus point, but there’s little parts in each song that remind me of early Bruce too. The guitar in Tucson Train for example gives me a BITUSA vibe, the guitar in Western Stars gives me a Nebraska vibe. It’s like everything has changed, but nothing really at all. That’s the beauty of Bruce. 

• Like 7

Just now, rachelharms said:

What I’ve found with this album is that yes there’s a new sound, and the orchestration is primarily the focus point, but there’s little parts in each song that remind me of early Bruce too. The guitar in Tucson Train for example gives me a BITUSA vibe, the guitar in Western Stars gives me a Nebraska vibe. It’s like everything has changed, but nothing really at all. That’s the beauty of Bruce. 

100%  

This album, while so very different in many ways, is at the same time ‘quintessential’ Bruce.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1