BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

The piano in Western Stars is reminding me of Stolen Car, and my heart could honestly explode right now. I’m so in love. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

Next time I see you I need you to try them because you will love it!!

I’ll get the TJ treats and Laker Suite ready... 

Just now, rosiejaneymary said:

100%  

This album, while so very different in many ways, is at the same time ‘quintessential’ Bruce.

Exactly! He’s never a stranger. He’s always Bruce. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2

Just now, rosiejaneymary said:

I’ll get the TJ treats and Laker Suite ready... 

Yes please!! :lol: peanut butter pretzels are calling my name 

• Haha 1

The organ in Sleepy Joe’s Cafe for me is up there with the little solo Danny does in Hungry Heart. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

What I’ve found with this album is that yes there’s a new sound, and the orchestration is primarily the focus point, but there’s little parts in each song that remind me of early Bruce too. The guitar in Tucson Train for example gives me a BITUSA vibe, the guitar in Western Stars gives me a Nebraska vibe. It’s like everything has changed, but nothing really at all. That’s the beauty of Bruce. 

Exactly, well said. And while I've read several references to the "E Street Band sound" - dual keyboards - I don't think I've ever read a piece that talks about a specific "Springsteen sound", as in unmistakably Bruce, ESB or no ESB. Maybe it's not something specific, maybe it's the way he phrases song lyrics...I don't know either. But Western Stars is a completely new sound for Bruce, just as Seeger Sessions was. Completely new, yet still completely recognisable. Experimental (for Bruce) but no experiment. "There is no try".

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MadamMarie said:

I have so loved reading these pages since June 14th while I nurse my new hip replacement and will shortly load my CD for at least 2 full hearings!  

So many great posts Laker family!  Now, onto Western Stars!   BRUCE!!!!

Good luck with the new hip.  :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, SteveJhb said:

Firstly, forgive me. I have not read through this entire 100-odd page thread, nor very much of the several other threads on this record here. That is because I wanted to have my own thoughts and take on this, to me, important release, and not be swayed by the likes and dislikes of others. Secondly, opinions, as the saying goes, are like assholes. Everyone has one. So if you will, please allow this asshole to state his thoughts and opinions on this new album.

Sitting back and thinking on what my overriding feeling is after having now listened to Western Stars several times, from start to finish, I would have to say that it most certainly is… pride. Pride for and proud of Bruce Springsteen. One of my heroes, a man I love like blood and someone, like so many of you here, I hold in very high reverence. Proud because a few months shy of a landmark age far beyond a number anyone would ever have linked with the words ‘Rock Star’ back when he started his career, he has released a work that (God forbid) it were his last, it would be a fitting swan song and a beautiful way to end an incredible almost half century of recordings. I have no doubt there will be more to come though.

What drives it home even more so for me is that other artists I love, who are of similar ages, have also recently released new albums. Not bad, perhaps, but, to my ears, possibly just going through the motions or hoping the tried and tested formula works yet again. Not Bruce, not with this album. He is not trying to pander to any audience. New, young, old, even us loyal fans. He has made the album his heart led him to, which he felt inspired to and wanted to make

Western Stars is an album. A record. It’s not a collection of songs or singles. This is why I only listened to the three pre-release tracks a few times before June 14th. I knew I did not want to dull the effect of listening to the songs in the correct setting an I wanted all of them to be new to me, as much as possible. I have listened to Western Stars several times now, probably not anywhere near as many as some here, but enough times to know it really is a true album. It has a start, a middle and a beautiful ending. The songs all have a perfect place, a perfect setting. Listening to it piece meal or on shuffle just seems wrong somehow. Like the great albums made back in the Seventies I still listen to over and over, that just don’t make sense in any other order than that in which the artists so painstakingly set it out.

We know Bruce used to agonise over album track listings back in the era many think of his best. He may not have agonised over this one but he most definitely spent a lot of careful thought over it. And it was worth it because it is perfect. The beautiful segue between Chasin’ Wild Horses and Sundown is a perfect case in point. 

Another point I have to make is that, for those of you not particularly enamoured with this release, that’s okay, it may well not be everyone’s cup of tea, but make sure you’ve given it fair due. I say this because in 2019 I worry that too many people are judging new music based on listens on tiny plastic ear pods playing highly compressed versions of the music. And that won’t do this music justice. This is, as Bruce said, a big record, an expansive record. It needs space, and volume. Listened to on good earphones (phones, not ‘pods’) or better yet a good set of stereo speakers, it is a living thing. It breathes and moves. The arrangements, probably quite polarizing to a Springsteen fan base, are simply magnificent. I know with all certainty that I will be listening to this album, in whatever format, when I am the age Bruce is now, and hopefully beyond. I hope to experience it on vinyl soon because I think that will be sublime.

I am still exploring each track, each one is growing and speaking to me as I listen. Songs that seemed grey at first listen are coming alive, more and more colours coming out as they play. We know Hello Sunshine is a classic, and likely will be the song or one of the songs from this album to be included on the next Essential/Best of type collection. But of the 13 songs, I truly don’t hear a throwaway. Arguably Sleepy Joe’s Café is the lightest, most fun song, designed to be fun on stage, but every one of these songs deserves it’s place on this record. Moonlight Motel is one of the most beautiful album closers I’ve heard in a long time. And lastly, yes, I love There Goes My Miracle. Love. It is just magnificent. One of the most spectacular vocals Bruce has ever committed to tape. And I know that’s not everyone’s opinion, but I will be willing to bet that if we ever got the chance to see and hear Bruce perform this live, with or without an orchestra, it will take your breath away and be hard to forget.

Lastly, I appreciate that in this digital age of small square artwork jpegs, Bruce still takes the time and effort to create album art… Be it Danny Clinch’s stunning photography or the simple time it takes to choose the right font… It matters.

It was worth the wait. E Street Band record or not, tour or not, with or without orchestra, I have these 50 and a half minutes of beautiful, lovingly crafted music to enjoy over and over for many years to come.

Fabulous just fabulous. I love this forum because I can express my adoration and nobody thinks I'm mad. I have no explanation why I love Bruce but I do and to read other fans comments like @SteveJhb and many others is a complete joy. Thank you all for sharing your inner most thoughts with us all :wub:

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 5

7 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

This is, as Bruce said, a big record, an expansive record. It needs space, and volume. Listened to on good earphones (phones, not ‘pods’) or better yet a good set of stereo speakers, it is a living thing. It breathes and moves. The arrangements, probably quite polarizing to a Springsteen fan base, are simply magnificent. I know with all certainty that I will be listening to this album, in whatever format, when I am the age Bruce is now, and hopefully beyond. I hope to experience it on vinyl soon because I think that will be sublime.

This is such great advice.  Once I put the good headphones on I thought my heart would break listening to Chasin' Wild Horses.  The way his voice drops on the line, "ever since I was a kid, Tryin to keep my temper down is like chasin' wild horses" , well, it seriously effected me.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

This is such great advice.  Once I put the good headphones on I thought my heart would break listening to Chasin' Wild Horses.  The way his voice drops on the line, "ever since I was a kid, Tryin to keep my temper down is like chasin' wild horses" , well, it seriously effected me.  

Can only agree. Now I have the vinyl and am listening on a good sound system, I am hearing so much more. This really is an album which requires attention. I enjoyed it whilst baking at the weekend, but I am enjoying it so much more just sitting and really listening.

• Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Oh and one more thing..

I love Bruce Springsteen. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

Oh and one more thing..

Really? I would never have guessed!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ann Jones said:

Really? I would never have guessed!

Sometimes it just needs to be said :lol:

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

8 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Oh and one more thing..

We all do @rachelharms xxx 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3

16 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

So maybe that’s why I go a little overboard when it comes to Bruce

A little? :P

I have bought every Bruce album since ToL on release day. Have always played it relentlessly for weeks after. But I don’t remember any of his albums getting better and better after each listen like this one does. 

I wonder how great this album will become if I up the anti and start listening to it ten times a day...

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

A little? :P

I’ll have you know I only took ONE Western Stars coaster from the launch party!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I’ve read so many wonderful heartfelt posts on here, and I know nothing that I write will compare, but I’d still like to share a few thoughts. 

Rumours and hints about this album have been around for years, and it did get to the point where we never thought it’d see the light of day. As a young fan, I’m quite accepting of no new music from the older bands/musicians that I like. I’ve always felt very lucky with Bruce, because he’s still touring, and very active. I was such a huge fan of David Bowie as a teenager, and knowing I would never see him live broke my heart. So maybe that’s why I go a little overboard when it comes to Bruce. I will admit though, that despite the rumours, a part of me really did believe that we may never get another Bruce album. That was honestly ok. Bruce has given me more than enough, and I owe him a lot. I was content knowing I’d seen him live, because that’s all I ever wanted. 

But when the rumours started of a single being released, and then Hello Sunshine coming out (while I was mid-flight to New Jersey nonetheless) I couldn’t help but feel shock. I was so happy. I said before about how I felt like Springsteen On Broadway was my ‘thing’.. my ‘experience’.. because so many of you got to go to tours that I didn’t, and for this I finally had the opportunity and had the best experiences of my entire life. I feel like the same applies again with Western Stars. Finally, an album for me. For me to now grow up with. Some of you had Born To Run, some of you had Darkness and some of you had The River to help you navigate your way. Yes I still have those albums, and yes they will also do that for me... but Western Stars is here and now. It’s what I’ll be listening to at this key stage in my life, and what I’ll listen to in years to come and reminisce about being 21 again. I just can’t believe I have this. To have such a beautiful album from Bruce in 2019, it’s a total gift to his young fans and his old. 

Just listening to the album now, properly for the very first time, I couldn’t help but cry when the opening notes of Moonlight Motel started playing. I felt the song in my heart, in a way that Born To Run does. Now I’m not comparing the two, but for Bruce to have brought out two songs 44 years apart that can make the hairs on your arms stand on end, make your heart heavy with love and your soul feel happy.. now that’s something special. 

I’ve been lying with my headphones on, my eyes closed, totally entranced for the last hour. I’ve had memories come and go, hopes and dreams projected like a mini movie screen in my mind, and all I can think is what an amazing album this is.To make me feel such a way, and to give me so much joy. I’ve been to the desert and back in 51 minutes, but I don’t think I’ll ever really leave. This album is going to be with me now, forever. 

I think it touches something deep in our souls, at least that is how I feel.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I have bought every Bruce album since ToL on release day. Have always played it relentlessly for weeks after. But I don’t remember any of his albums getting better and better after each listen like this one does. 

I wonder how great this album will become if I up the anti and start listening to it ten times a day...

I don't think you will get bored.

Nice picture of Eric.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I’ll have you know I only took ONE Western Stars coaster from the launch party!

I was already able to sleep, safe in the knowledge that it wouldn't be you who's selling the promotional freebies on ebay

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jmw said:

I think it touches something deep in our souls, at least that is how I feel.

Definitely. This album spoke to my soul in a way that I don’t think a Bruce album has since maybe The Rising for me. 

• Like 2

I am of the opinion that Bruce’s vocals on the title track Western Stars is as good as any Bruce vocal I have ever heard. Simply stunning. 

• Like 9

So that's where it went

fld98voxlw3uvjkluiah

• Haha 6