BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Shirley somebody in "the camp" must monitor such things.

 

Must stop calling people Surely

As I've mentioned before on here, and as I'm sure others can recall, Jon Landau once wrote to the old Lucky Town mailing list to thank us for our support. If he was monitoring that back then, I'm sure they have someone check on this place and BTX and maybe a few other joints at least occasionally. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Among other general brilliance on this album does anyone else really love the way he rolls his rrrrrrrs when he says “charros” in Western Stars?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Must stop calling people Surely

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

Among other general brilliance on this album does anyone else really love the way he rolls his rrrrrrrs when he says “charros” in Western Stars?

Yes!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

I don't believe I have listened to a new release as continually as I am listening to this. I am not missing any opportunity. Question, should I have a break, will I tire of it if I keep doing this?

When discussing who should do the 3 hour drive home from my in-laws I volunteered on the condition that we listened to Western Stars.

My wife said "yes, but only once through, not for the whole 3 hours"

:unsure:

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Shirley somebody in "the camp" must monitor such things.

 

Must stop calling people Surely

I would very much like to be "in the camp" of Bruce but unfortunately I am not :P

  • Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I hope Bruce, in some way, will get to hear about the overall positive response from his fans here (albeit a very small group of them when you weigh it all up :)). He should be chuffed to bits.

Many many years ago, I looked after 2 American children and I can remember using the word chuffed and then having to explain what it meant.:)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, timeisillusion said:

When discussing who should do the 3 hour drive home from my in-laws I volunteered on the condition that we listened to Western Stars.

My wife said "yes, but only once through, not for the whole 3 hours"

:unsure:

 

Very mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Shirley somebody in "the camp" must monitor such things.

 

Must stop calling people Surely

A BTXer a while back said that Shore Fire Media have the job of surveilling the internet.

Makes sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

Among other general brilliance on this album does anyone else really love the way he rolls his rrrrrrrs when he says “charros” in Western Stars?

Yes I mentioned it earlier its beautifully pronounced :D

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep on playing it over again as every time he says it I get a little thrill.

Partner was asking why I kept on smiling....

I wish I could roll my rrrrrrrrrrs:P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened with my earphones tonight (I've got 'over the head' headphones but can't find them :().  It's superb.  I want to listen to the whole thing again, but have to go to bed - work in the morning :angry:

Will just give Hitch Hikin' one more spin.  It's probably my favourite at the moment.

  • Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just dawned on me we are going to have to learn our new parts at the live shows.  

I say when we hear that train coming down the tracks we all start singing the first verse of Tuscon Train.   Just point the mic towards us Bruce, we are all obsessed.  

'Got a wife and kids in Baltimore Jack"  You guys know the drill.

 

 

  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I don't believe I have listened to a new release as continually as I am listening to this. I am not missing any opportunity. Question, should I have a break, will I tire of it if I keep doing this?

We'll all tire eventually, but if listening to it now is bringing us joy, why bother stopping for later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to "Moonlight Motel" again there and, man, I don't like to call brand new, well anything, a masterpiece or a classic, but he's crafted something really special there. 

  • Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Listening to "Moonlight Motel" again there and, man, I don't like to call brand new, well anything, a masterpiece or a classic, but he's crafted something really special there. 

Best song on the record.

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChurchBay said:

This is my first post on this forum. I've loved reading all your responses to this album and listening to it for the past few days compelled me to give my own perspective on Western Stars.

In short - I adore it! It's lovely reading so many of you who share the same feelings for this.

There's so much to unpick (and I won't bore you all with trying to unpick everything in this post) but I love it's totality most of all. There's something so wholesome and complete about the sound - the soaring, sweeping cinematic strings seem to release these songs to vast horizons and landscapes that are cathartic in their impact. The strings seem to add to the characters Bruce has written so tenderly about, giving them a sense of freedom to these somewhat lonely, experienced and ageing characters that populate the album. For me, the beauty of Springsteen's music is the heartbreaking landscapes that he conjures up in his lyrics that are an extension of the characters that arise out of them. And what landscapes they are! I can't tell you how much I'd love to take a journey deep into the heart of western America - a place which seems to define a lonely sense of liberty and idealism not just for the characters but I'm sure for plenty of listeners out there.

He just takes you out of your chaotic surroundings, your own chaotic mind and takes you to those beautiful and idyllic landscapes of America. That moment about 2 minutes into Western Stars (the song) when our character breaks for freedom from his tiresome, aged life and journeys out to the desert defines that perfectly for me. What a breathtaking moment that is in such a wonderful song as well! My favourite song though has to be Moonlight Motel - one of those tunes you don't want to listen to too much because you fear that having it on repeat may wear it out. But it's impossible to resist such is it's heart-rending beauty. It's the most perfect ending to a beautiful album. The imagery of the boarded up Motel, sitting alone in the middle of nowhere,  remembering and having a drink to people and places who are long gone was certainly enough to bring a tear to my eye.

In all, it's just an album of beautiful characters and beautiful places. They are the kind of places where, because the landscapes stay the same from decade to decade, time slows and perhaps our escapism to these places is a yearning to slow or halt the passing of time which we all come to realise goes by too quickly. I kind of feel Bruce thinks the same and maybe my love (our love?) for this album stems from having these beliefs reflected back to us. The recognition or the reminiscence of the passing of time that sweeps through the album turns it into a reflection about getting older and how some people increasingly seek, perhaps mournfully, for some form of Eden or paradise before the sun sets on their own horizons.

Wow.

What a post! Thanks for evoking so eloquently the underlying sentiments of the album. Love that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChurchBay said:

This is my first post on this forum. I've loved reading all your responses to this album and listening to it for the past few days compelled me to give my own perspective on Western Stars.

In short - I adore it! It's lovely reading so many of you who share the same feelings for this.

There's so much to unpick (and I won't bore you all with trying to unpick everything in this post) but I love it's totality most of all. There's something so wholesome and complete about the sound - the soaring, sweeping cinematic strings seem to release these songs to vast horizons and landscapes that are cathartic in their impact. The strings seem to add to the characters Bruce has written so tenderly about, giving them a sense of freedom to these somewhat lonely, experienced and ageing characters that populate the album. For me, the beauty of Springsteen's music is the heartbreaking landscapes that he conjures up in his lyrics that are an extension of the characters that arise out of them. And what landscapes they are! I can't tell you how much I'd love to take a journey deep into the heart of western America - a place which seems to define a lonely sense of liberty and idealism not just for the characters but I'm sure for plenty of listeners out there.

He just takes you out of your chaotic surroundings, your own chaotic mind and takes you to those beautiful and idyllic landscapes of America. That moment about 2 minutes into Western Stars (the song) when our character breaks for freedom from his tiresome, aged life and journeys out to the desert defines that perfectly for me. What a breathtaking moment that is in such a wonderful song as well! My favourite song though has to be Moonlight Motel - one of those tunes you don't want to listen to too much because you fear that having it on repeat may wear it out. But it's impossible to resist such is it's heart-rending beauty. It's the most perfect ending to a beautiful album. The imagery of the boarded up Motel, sitting alone in the middle of nowhere,  remembering and having a drink to people and places who are long gone was certainly enough to bring a tear to my eye.

In all, it's just an album of beautiful characters and beautiful places. They are the kind of places where, because the landscapes stay the same from decade to decade, time slows and perhaps our escapism to these places is a yearning to slow or halt the passing of time which we all come to realise goes by too quickly. I kind of feel Bruce thinks the same and maybe my love (our love?) for this album, and in particular Moonlight Motel, stems from having these realities reflected back to us. The recognition or the reminiscence of the passing of time that sweeps through the album turns it into a reflection about getting older and how some people increasingly seek, perhaps mournfully, for some form of Eden or paradise before the sun sets on their own horizons.

A damn fine first post! Looking forward to reading what else you've got to say mate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard  @ChurchBay!  Great first post.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  Hope we continue to hear from you.  

18 minutes ago, ChurchBay said:

The recognition or the reminiscence of the passing of time that sweeps through the album turns it into a reflection about getting older and how some people increasingly seek, perhaps mournfully, for some form of Eden or paradise before the sun sets on their own horizons.

I especially loved this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, red headed woman said:

Yes I mentioned it earlier its beautifully pronounced :D

I'm not sure he pronounces the "a" sound correctly, though. He says it like "chair-os", where going by my high school Spanish, I think it should be "char-os". Not a big thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, misty rain said:

Daisey, do you have the Live in Dublin DVD? Or have you watched Jazzfest on YouTube? For me, I often like music better when I watch it being performed live. But it's fine if you don't like it, you don't need to force it.

 

yes 

Jazz fest is better

but live in Dublin still requires me to be liquored up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.