Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

3 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’ve tried listening to other music since last Friday. Including other Bruce music. But it all just seems so inadequate compared to Western Stars. It’s like this is as great as it can get or has ever got, at this moment. 

And I don’t want the feeling to go. 

Me too... people saying its his best since magic.... yeah if magic is like a 3 and this is a 10 (but I never could quite find the appreciation others have for magic).

I just keep wishing that this is the first instalment of a double album.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’ve tried listening to other music since last Friday. Including other Bruce music. But it all just seems so inadequate compared to Western Stars. It’s like this is as great as it can get or has ever got, at this moment. 

And I don’t want the feeling to go. 

I feel the same - stuck at work and all I keep thinking of are the songs and how I want to get home and play them!

Do you think part of the excitement too is actually having something, ANYTHING new from Bruce?

I don't remember being this over the moon with HH or WOAD, even though I was excited.

• Like 1

I'm still amazed at the depth of the album.

I'm at a point where I quite like The Wayfarer although it's not one I think I'll ever love. Tucson Train doesn't really interest me as much now I've heard the rest. Sleepy Joe is, to me, just ok too.

Take those 3 out and the rest of the album is just unreal. That run of songs from Drive Fast to Moonlight Motel works better as a sequential series of songs than anything he's put out there since Nebraska. I even love Miracle in this chain of tracks.

It's like somehow he fell back in love with songwriting. The sequencing, the codas, that wailing violin at the end of Stones, the lyrics, the melodies, the epic opening and closing lines to just about every song. It's all come back.

The little attention to detail. Someone mentioned the echoed "back, back, back" after "the canyon throws it back" line in Wild Horses. There is just endless stuff in there to drool about.

There has been some really good albums since Tunnel and I'm a huge Joad and Magic fan (Wrecking Ball too) but this just somehow has the magic of his earlier work sprinkled all over it. 

I'm stunned by it.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

1 hour ago, berlintramp said:

I see abolutly no evidence for illicit trysts. The first verse is an account of the past, and the desk man tells of young couples coming to this out-of-the-way motel. The singer has done that with his lover, but it is rather, as Rizla suggests, for some privacy - or because they are not married yet. That would be as far as I would be prepared to go, but not playing away from home. The whole tone of the lyrics doesn't suggest it.

What it does suggest - bills and kids and kids and bills - is that they got married and had an ordinary life with ordinary sorrows. And the woman dies. At first I was reluctant to think so (just thought she left or he left) but the bell - the death knell heard across the valley - convinced me. And now the guy lives in regret of the past and sometimes dreams of her, and one day gets up his courage to go back and confront himself with what is left. He pours a drink for himself, for her, and pours some out onto the parking lot as an libation to times gone by and memory.

Yes, and as Eileen has said - pass the hankies. Can't make it past the last line without wet eyes.

I think some people can't see past the word "motel"  because of their reputation for said illicit trysts. 
But as you say, there's nothing at all in this song to suggest anything of the sort.
I don't see any regret either, but I don't think that's quite what you meant - perhaps just that feeling of wanting to get the past back, but knowing you can't.  I don't get the feeling that, even if he could revisit the past, he would want to change anything.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

The little attention to detail. Someone mentioned the echoed "back, back, back" after "the canyon throws it back" line in Wild Horses. There is just endless stuff in there to drool about. 

And the echoey pedal steel that comes in and follows that line...love that!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Personally I don’t think it’s because it’s new Bruce music. It’s just because it’s a phenomenal album and a sense that it’s his very best work, unexpectedly so, as many of us thought he was unable to write such a piece of art at this stage of his career. That, and the sense that we are experiencing a masterpiece right now, which will have a legacy long after Bruce (and most of us) are around. 

You're right. Neil. This album has surpassed everything I thought it might be. And more. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

That sums up my personal feelings.  I had a love affair with Tunnel of Love.  I hoped,  but never really expected, I could be effected by an album like that again. Then in my older years this drops into my life like an old lover showing up on my doorstep.  What a gift.  

Personally, each and every album has deeply effected me (especially The Rising), just differently and on different levels.  I’ve been grateful for each and every one. 

But this one... oh myyyyy!  

As you said, what a gift! :wub:

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

42 minutes ago, Rizla said:

don't see any regret either, but I don't think that's quite what you meant -

Regret in the sense that it's irrevocably past and you can't re-live it. I don't mean regret of things that happened, quite the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

I feel the same - stuck at work and all I keep thinking of are the songs and how I want to get home and play them!

Do you think part of the excitement too is actually having something, ANYTHING new from Bruce?

I don't remember being this over the moon with HH or WOAD, even though I was excited.

No, it is just brilliant.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, westcoastgirl said:

That sums up my personal feelings.  I had a love affair with Tunnel of Love.  I hoped,  but never really expected, I could be effected by an album like that again. Then in my older years this drops into my life like an old lover showing up on my doorstep.  What a gift.  

Tunnel is probably the CD I have played most.

• Like 2