BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

6 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/20/though-much-is-taken-much-abides-in-bruce-springsteens-wearily-defiant-western-stars/

Best review I have read and first to really get the Tennyson references which I think are the heart of this cycle of songs.

This is wonderful. I've described the album elsewhere as one of 'hard-worn optimism', and I think the Tennyson lines really reflect that too. We all grow older and greyer and sadder, and we be may be the worse for it. But we're also better for it. And the drive to live, to love, to remember and to go on still remains.

We've always known this, but Bruce consistently produces pop/rock albums that double as works of literature. After I watched him in his Broadway show, I concluded that he's always been my favourite poet. Western Stars confirms that.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/20/though-much-is-taken-much-abides-in-bruce-springsteens-wearily-defiant-western-stars/

Best review I have read and first to really get the Tennyson references which I think are the heart of this cycle of songs.

Yes, best review i’ve seen. Totally how I heard the album. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

It's not often I sit still long enough to read a review but I'm glad I did regarding this one.

Thank you for posting it and reminding me … marvellous!

14 hours ago, jackofnotrades said:

Driving to work on a rainy M1 in south yorks the other day with western stars I was reminiscing my history of listening to Bruce since '84 and how his music became a soundtrack to my life.  Aside from the romantic sweeping rhythms - this is adult music with adult themes.  I've struggled with my own depression time to time (no nothing as serious as what our friend has been through) and I've learned to use his music as a crutch or a comfort.  I've also fallen in love with lonely sometimes.   But his song writing always tries to make sense of the world we live in.  Western Stars may not make my top five but I appreciate the lonely beauty and grace for what it offers.  He may not have times for maps but he gives us a fresh map every time with his songs and performances..    

very well said

i knew by looking at your user name we would agree on stuff ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

very well said

i knew by looking at your user name we would agree on stuff ;)

thanks Daisey Jeep I've not posted in a long time

• Bruuuuce! 1

15 hours ago, jackofnotrades said:

Driving to work on a rainy M1 in south yorks the other day with western stars I was reminiscing my history of listening to Bruce since '84 and how his music became a soundtrack to my life.  Aside from the romantic sweeping rhythms - this is adult music with adult themes.  I've struggled with my own depression time to time (no nothing as serious as what our friend has been through) and I've learned to use his music as a crutch or a comfort.  I've also fallen in love with lonely sometimes.   But his song writing always tries to make sense of the world we live in.  Western Stars may not make my top five but I appreciate the lonely beauty and grace for what it offers.  He may not have times for maps but he gives us a fresh map every time with his songs and performances..    

Its definitely in my top five :rolleyes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

I want to read this properly over the weekend.  But scrolling through it, I of course came across the Western Stars video ... so I had to watch it.  Again. Now I want to watch or listen to another one ... but work gets in the way :(

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

Its definitely in my top five :rolleyes:

top 10 maybe lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

Excellent review. Thanks

20 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I want to read this properly over the weekend.  But scrolling through it, I of course came across the Western Stars video ... so I had to watch it.  Again. Now I want to watch or listen to another one ... but work gets in the way :(

I think we need to set up Western Stars Anonymous as I have a real problem actually getting any work or anything else done at the moment. I just want to sit with my headphones on and listen :ph34r: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

I think we need to set up Western Stars Anonymous as I have a real problem actually getting any work or anything else done at the moment. I just want to sit with my headphones on and listen :ph34r: 

Exactly! I am just thinking I have a little under an hour until I need to go out, so great, that's just enough time for a listen. At some point during the day I have to sort out crockery from church to lend to our neighbourhood party, now I could easily do this with help whilst there are other people in the church this morning. On the other hand, I can have the church, with it's marvellous acoustics and excellent sound system to myself this afternoon...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

Nice review.

He's dropped in a couple of Dylan Thomas lines, too. Uncredited.

2 hours ago, jackofnotrades said:

thanks Daisey Jeep I've not posted in a long time

i remembered you :)

good to see you again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i remembered you :)

good to see you again

thanks life gets in the way sometimes lol

its good to be back :)

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, red headed woman said:

you need some aversion therapy - try listening to other stuff lol

I've been listening to Neil Young so I don't become over saturated with WS and miss the beauty

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jackofnotrades said:

you need some aversion therapy - try listening to other stuff lol

I've been listening to Neil Young so I don't become over saturated with WS and miss the beauty

Is there such a thing as too much Western Stars!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

Not round here, although I am getting a fair bit of Dylan at the moment...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Not round here, although I am getting a fair bit of Dylan at the moment...

I've even been listening to Gil Scott Heron

42 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

Not in my little world.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

I've been enjoying reading everyone's theories about how the Western Stars songs link and flow into each other, and also which Western Stars songs link back to earlier Bruce songs. Some great threads running and some great posts.

But it did lead me to Dr Google to find out if Davemarshitis is a real disease. Apparently it is, and it can rapidly reach epidemic proportions on Bruce Springsteen related internet sites when a fantastic new album is released. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

So finally got the CD (Will get the vinyl later on)

Got it on just now - up to Tucson Train (Best single IMO)

So far so good - Hitch Hickin is a nice wee opener and I like the build that seems to be happening over the album so far

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

16 hours ago, AnimatorMike said:

Brilliant review. You have to participate in the music. I love that idea, you are not simply a passive recipient of the music. You have to listen, engage, believe and take part in this album. He is singing tales of simple complexity that you have to focus on the lyrics and then match them to the mood of the music. Each listen brings up something else, a detail of pronunciation or a word chosen for effect.

”Skitters” is my favourite word of the day.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

”Skitters” is my favourite word of the day.

That means something else up here (as well as what is intended)  - and in Scotland. I hope that coyote gets a does of the skitters for killing that little doggie. ;)

• Haha 1

Another interesting review: https://www.americamagazine.org/arts-culture/2019/06/20/bruce-springsteen-looks-mercy-and-deliverance-new-album-western-stars

Obviously this record is a much different musical style that BTR, but the big sound is similar.  And, of course, BTR was full of youthful anticipation.  This record is regret, remembrance and reflection.   

I love that last toast in Moonlight Motel.

I love the line about there is "no more"...only "again" in Western Stars.

I have yet to complete a listen without having tears in my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1