Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

19 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The mad thing is I don’t even think it’s the best song on the album. Maybe not even top 3 

I feel the same.  I dig how many think the title track is the "masterpiece" of the record but I don't hear that.

At all.  Too many contenders.  

34 minutes ago, Kay said:

I feel the same.  I dig how many think the title track is the "masterpiece" of the record but I don't hear that.

At all.  Too many contenders.  

I wouldn’t say ‘the,’ but I would definitely say ‘a.’  

It’s probably my favorite.  At the moment anyway.  As you said, many contenders... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nfbandon said:

Western Stars may not have a melody that haunts you like some of the other songs, but lyrically it is brilliant because it has insight, emotion and humor.

I wake up with it in my head.  I love the music, and think the orchestration is off the charts gorgeous.   It’s melody haunts me more than the others.  I know I’m in the minority with that.  

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 4

1 hour ago, nfbandon said:

Western Stars may not have a melody that haunts you like some of the other songs, but lyrically it is brilliant because it has insight, emotion and humor.

For me the emotion starts to kick in from this line, its when the song starts to make the hairs on my neck stand up...

Our American brothers cross the wire and bring the old ways with them...

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 2

I have to declare that the last sixty seconds of Chasin' Horses is the greatest moment on ANY Bruce record.  It even edges out  the last ninety seconds of BTR.  God bless Rob Mathes and his Avatar strings.

I've stopped listening to it so that I don't desensitize.  

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

23 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I have to declare that the last sixty seconds of Chasin' Horses is the greatest moment on ANY Bruce record.  It even edges out  the last ninety seconds of BTR.  God bless Rob Mathes and his Avatar strings.

I've stopped listening to it so that I don't desensitize.  

Is this mild sarcasm my friend? 

6 minutes ago, salgari said:

now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter.

Welcome salgari, that is a very insightful observation - having trailed Bruce for over 40 years, I can attest to how true that is.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, salgari said:

Hi guys, i'm a guy from Italy and that's my first post here in the forum; sorry for english mistakes. I discovered Bruce only three years ago, i was in my car and the radio played "the river". I just knew his famous songs (dancing in the dark etc.) but i never heard the river before. When i came back home i had to read the lyrics because i feel something moving inside me and it was a sort of ephifany when i read it... A whole new world opened to me, the Bruce Springsteen world. Sadly, even if the boss is very famous here in Italy, it's not considered "cool" among young audience so i'm a sort of rarity (i'm 25 years old). I always tell my friends that they lose a HUGE artist, maybe someone will hear me someday...

Anyway i'm very happy to have finally a BS album that comes out with me as a fan, it's like a Christmas day! I can discuss with the others fans, i can watch him playing songs for the first time etc. But, what i think of the album? In my very  humble opinion Western Stars is really a surprising album and i would call a masterpiece if you allow me to use this word. I had a wrong idea of Bruce losing his "touch" in writing lyrics in the last albums. After i listened WS i understood that i was completely wrong. Not only the single lines but entire songs are written in a poetic way that can be compared with his best works from 70s/80s, and even if they seem the "same old stories" indeed he makes a new step forward in his catalogue. In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter. To make a difference, WOAD fails primarily in doing this, while WS fits perfect in this picture of the human being. More important, i think that when an artist like him arrives at 70 he has to show anymore to anyone, indeed he showed me that he can take new paths at 70 and that he can build Highways on these unknown paths to create great albums above musical genres that are new for him. And in my small portion of life i can say that only one man can do this and his name is Bruce Springsteen.

You have come to the right place at the right time.  

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

25 minutes ago, salgari said:

In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter.

Indeed. As I was listening to Western Stars today it struck me that these songs are about scarred people, set in their ways. If they are searching, they seem to search not in the hope of finding something, but because of the thrill of the search itself or the distraction of the search.
Oh, and welcome.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:23 PM, Kay said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's this album I'm loving or the responses to it that are also nicely learning tools - love how you've phrased things and stuff that you've picked up from listening and the psychology of the whole thing.  Bruce can never leave this earth coz he's too good and too damn educating.  

Thank you Kay.

And I totally agree with you - it's a special artist that can really drill deep into fans consciousness, extract their thoughts and express them fully. One of only a handful of artists I could talk and write endlessly about. And Bruce really is one of a kind. It's lovely to read people's thoughts and emotions over his music on this site especially on this album.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

A few people have mentioned that in Chasin' Wild Horses, after the line 'The echo throws it back', they can hear Patti (?) saying 'back, back' like an echo.

I've tried but I can't hear it. Do my ears need testing?

It’s Bruce, I think, and it’s very quick and very soft. I only hear one or maybe two repetitions. It’s just around the 3 minute mark at the same bit as the Knopfler-esque guitar...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, red headed woman said:

I think we need to set up Western Stars Anonymous as I have a real problem actually getting any work or anything else done at the moment. I just want to sit with my headphones on and listen :ph34r: 

I've been lucky in that I've been able to listen at work for a few days. :)

8 hours ago, Coolclearwaters said:

”Skitters” is my favourite word of the day.

I love that line- I can see it (poor doggie, though). And there's a little staccato (I'm not sure that's the right word) with the violin right after it that I think is cool- it sounds like "skitters".

Welcome @salgari! Great first post.  

One of the things I love best about Bruce is that although I believe he is a rock and roll guy at heart, he has a tremendous love, respect and appreciation for all genres of music, which spills over into his writing.  

He truly never ceases to amaze me. 

• Like 6

I Love that everything he writes you can associate with.....its like he takes a little bit of everyones life and knows that it will have some kind of impact when listening..that is what good music is about, listening and feeling it because there are words that put a memory in our heads....be it a sad one or a happy one or a hope or a dream, the loss of someone..the hope of love or a lost love...... It may only be one word in that song or one line...or even the whole thing but they all have meaning and depth unlike some music out there nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

29 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Welcome @salgari! Great first post.  

One of the things I love best about Bruce is that although I believe he is a rock and roll guy at heart, he has a tremendous love, respect and appreciation for all genres of music, which spills over into his writing.  

He truly never ceases to amaze me. 

Welcome @salgari!

@rosiejaneymary: I too believe he's a rock and roll guy at heart, but the review which ties some of the lyrics to Tennyson...that was so cool. I do think that that's really the case, and my experience of Tennyson is that it's not the sort of thing that your regular, uneducated rock and roll musician would necessarily reference (apart from Bob Dylan and a few others), not to the extent it seems Bruce has done here, it seems like a starting point for the theme of the album, almost; and, it's a long way from quoting 19th century poetry in your songs to reworking it into your art, like Bruce seems to have done. So, channeling and interpreting Alfred, Lord Tennyson via Glen Campbell and Bacharach...not bad. Don't think even Bruce would have thought that when playing the Roxy in 1975.

• Like 7
  • Bruuuuce! 1