BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Welcome @salgari!

@rosiejaneymary: I too believe he's a rock and roll guy at heart, but the review which ties some of the lyrics to Tennyson...that was so cool. I do think that that's really the case, and my experience of Tennyson is that it's not the sort of thing that your regular, uneducated rock and roll musician would necessarily reference (apart from Bob Dylan and a few others), not to the extent it seems Bruce has done here, it seems like a starting point for the theme of the album, almost; and, it's a long way from quoting 19th century poetry in your songs to reworking it into your art, like Bruce seems to have done. So, channeling and interpreting Alfred, Lord Tennyson via Glen Campbell and Bacharach...not bad. Don't think even Bruce would have thought that when playing the Roxy in 1975.

It's not the first time he's taken a song title from Ulysses:

For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known
  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole of this album exudes a certain positivity, fun and enjoyment, I think that is what comes across in what we are all listening too. The references to his own weaknesses and struggles with depression have simply given a huge boost to the whole song writing  process, white lines/ blue pills etc.

Had the joy of driving and listening yesterday at full volume, sublime and exciting. I'm listening again tonight on loud headphones - the layers of sound, the instrumentation and then the incredible orchestral arrangement of this album is something else.

In each song Bruce sounds as if he is just enjoying every single word sung and that resonates so much. Every song has so much to give.

I'm a week after release,  before posting, have also been listening to Stevie's  - Summer of Sorcery too ( worth a listen - it is good ) 

Western Stars is as much of a complete album as I have heard in a long time, each track belongs together - a musical journey and even when listening in background the whole CD is there and imprinting on your mind.

A whole album that captures the ear of Bruce fans , but I think it will be one of those albums we hear in cafes/ coffee shops and more in the next 12 months. 

This is a musical piece of magic, I don't think we will ever see it in a live gig, but the sheer joy and purpose  in which Bruce sings all of this needs to be acknowledged , the nod to the musical influences on his life, and more than anything else, to have this as a new release when you are nearly 70 is something that really needs to be celebrated.

When you start listening to the words - it them begins another layer.

Wonderful album and one in which I think we will all see as a fitting final bookend to the career of a man who has always challenged himself and us from the very first listen ( when ever that was) until now. Thank you Bruce!

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kay said:

They're playing Stones on the radio!

Community radio rocks. 

Here in Ireland a great irish DJ and massive Bruce fan John Creedon had WS as album of the week, playing all the tracks. On Tuesday he finished the show with Western Stars into Backstreets...what a pairing...remember all the movies, brilliant.

Worth checking out his show:

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/john-creedon/programmes/2019/0617/1055912-john-creedon-monday-17-june-2019/?clipid=103137774#103137774

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Welcome @salgari!

@rosiejaneymary: I too believe he's a rock and roll guy at heart, but the review which ties some of the lyrics to Tennyson...that was so cool. I do think that that's really the case, and my experience of Tennyson is that it's not the sort of thing that your regular, uneducated rock and roll musician would necessarily reference (apart from Bob Dylan and a few others), not to the extent it seems Bruce has done here, it seems like a starting point for the theme of the album, almost; and, it's a long way from quoting 19th century poetry in your songs to reworking it into your art, like Bruce seems to have done. So, channeling and interpreting Alfred, Lord Tennyson via Glen Campbell and Bacharach...not bad. Don't think even Bruce would have thought that when playing the Roxy in 1975.

Thinking of Dylan's 'Love and Theft' reading this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 11:02 PM, AnimatorMike said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/06/20/though-much-is-taken-much-abides-in-bruce-springsteens-wearily-defiant-western-stars/

Best review I have read and first to really get the Tennyson references which I think are the heart of this cycle of songs.

All these Tennyson references initially highlighted by your goodself from your linked article have certainly piqued my interest and had me reading up a bit on the Ulysses poem to trace the link.

Got to admit to knowing very little about Tennyson or his work but reading the poem and the various deconstructions of its meaning does invoke quite distinct contextual parallels with Western Stars, not least that underlying theme of the various loners' sense of loss and restlessness which pervades most of the tracks.

Exactly how much of this stems from Bruce immersing himself in the literature of Tennyson's work and how much simply pours out in any case from the artistic songwriting and creative genius latent within Bruce's own often troubled mindset I wouldn't know. But reflecting upon it sure enriches the continuing delight of soaking up the majestic glory of this album and its 13 equally vital parts. 

So thanks once again Mike for alerting us to it.

:)   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, salgari said:

Hi guys, i'm a guy from Italy and that's my first post here in the forum; sorry for english mistakes. I discovered Bruce only three years ago, i was in my car and the radio played "the river". I just knew his famous songs (dancing in the dark etc.) but i never heard the river before. When i came back home i had to read the lyrics because i feel something moving inside me and it was a sort of ephifany when i read it... A whole new world opened to me, the Bruce Springsteen world. Sadly, even if the boss is very famous here in Italy, it's not considered "cool" among young audience so i'm a sort of rarity (i'm 25 years old). I always tell my friends that they lose a HUGE artist, maybe someone will hear me someday...

Anyway i'm very happy to have finally a BS album that comes out with me as a fan, it's like a Christmas day! I can discuss with the others fans, i can watch him playing songs for the first time etc. But, what i think of the album? In my very  humble opinion Western Stars is really a surprising album and i would call a masterpiece if you allow me to use this word. I had a wrong idea of Bruce losing his "touch" in writing lyrics in the last albums. After i listened WS i understood that i was completely wrong. Not only the single lines but entire songs are written in a poetic way that can be compared with his best works from 70s/80s, and even if they seem the "same old stories" indeed he makes a new step forward in his catalogue. In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter. To make a difference, WOAD fails primarily in doing this, while WS fits perfect in this picture of the human being. More important, i think that when an artist like him arrives at 70 he has to show anymore to anyone, indeed he showed me that he can take new paths at 70 and that he can build Highways on these unknown paths to create great albums above musical genres that are new for him. And in my small portion of life i can say that only one man can do this and his name is Bruce Springsteen.

 

Good stuff mate. Interesting life cycle points especially.

:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, seadogscarb said:

The whole of this album exudes a certain positivity, fun and enjoyment, I think that is what comes across in what we are all listening too. The references to his own weaknesses and struggles with depression have simply given a huge boost to the whole song writing  process, white lines/ blue pills etc.

Had the joy of driving and listening yesterday at full volume, sublime and exciting. I'm listening again tonight on loud headphones - the layers of sound, the instrumentation and then the incredible orchestral arrangement of this album is something else.

In each song Bruce sounds as if he is just enjoying every single word sung and that resonates so much. Every song has so much to give.

I'm a week after release,  before posting, have also been listening to Stevie's  - Summer of Sorcery too ( worth a listen - it is good ) 

Western Stars is as much of a complete album as I have heard in a long time, each track belongs together - a musical journey and even when listening in background the whole CD is there and imprinting on your mind.

A whole album that captures the ear of Bruce fans , but I think it will be one of those albums we hear in cafes/ coffee shops and more in the next 12 months. 

This is a musical piece of magic, I don't think we will ever see it in a live gig, but the sheer joy and purpose  in which Bruce sings all of this needs to be acknowledged , the nod to the musical influences on his life, and more than anything else, to have this as a new release when you are nearly 70 is something that really needs to be celebrated.

When you start listening to the words - it them begins another layer.

Wonderful album and one in which I think we will all see as a fitting final bookend to the career of a man who has always challenged himself and us from the very first listen ( when ever that was) until now. Thank you Bruce!

 

 

 

 

And yet another superb reflection.

:)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Welcome @salgari!

@rosiejaneymary: I too believe he's a rock and roll guy at heart, but the review which ties some of the lyrics to Tennyson...that was so cool. I do think that that's really the case, and my experience of Tennyson is that it's not the sort of thing that your regular, uneducated rock and roll musician would necessarily reference (apart from Bob Dylan and a few others), not to the extent it seems Bruce has done here, it seems like a starting point for the theme of the album, almost; and, it's a long way from quoting 19th century poetry in your songs to reworking it into your art, like Bruce seems to have done. So, channeling and interpreting Alfred, Lord Tennyson via Glen Campbell and Bacharach...not bad. Don't think even Bruce would have thought that when playing the Roxy in 1975.

Oh yes, agree 100%!  

He’s simply brilliant.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Welcome @salgari!

@rosiejaneymary: I too believe he's a rock and roll guy at heart, but the review which ties some of the lyrics to Tennyson...that was so cool. I do think that that's really the case, and my experience of Tennyson is that it's not the sort of thing that your regular, uneducated rock and roll musician would necessarily reference (apart from Bob Dylan and a few others), not to the extent it seems Bruce has done here, it seems like a starting point for the theme of the album, almost; and, it's a long way from quoting 19th century poetry in your songs to reworking it into your art, like Bruce seems to have done. So, channeling and interpreting Alfred, Lord Tennyson via Glen Campbell and Bacharach...not bad. Don't think even Bruce would have thought that when playing the Roxy in 1975.

Really like the perspective of this Doc. Nice one.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got up early on this Saturday morning to listen, once again, to some of the songs from this album. Admittedly only on YT this time, but I'm reading the comments on Moonlight Motel, There Goes My Miracle, Chasin' Wild Horses.  They're making me emotional.  Someone said about Bruce, "This is the deep connection of a good friend who leaves the front porch light on for a passing friend".  Wish I'd thought of that B)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rizla said:

It's not the first time he's taken a song title from Ulysses:

For always roaming with a hungry heart
Much have I seen and known

Yes, I noticed that when re-reading the poem. I'm not sure, at the time, that was the inspiration for the title, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, seadogscarb said:

The whole of this album exudes a certain positivity, fun and enjoyment, I think that is what comes across in what we are all listening too.

It's a good thing if it strikes you that way. But I think at best it would be hard-won resilience and rueful contemplation that is at the heart of this. I don't see fun and enjoyment there, I'm afraid. Must be my mindset.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleepy Joe's Cafe sounds like a fun place....way better than Harry's Place that's for sure. 

  • Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, salgari said:

Hi guys, i'm a guy from Italy and that's my first post here in the forum; sorry for english mistakes. I discovered Bruce only three years ago, i was in my car and the radio played "the river". I just knew his famous songs (dancing in the dark etc.) but i never heard the river before. When i came back home i had to read the lyrics because i feel something moving inside me and it was a sort of ephifany when i read it... A whole new world opened to me, the Bruce Springsteen world. Sadly, even if the boss is very famous here in Italy, it's not considered "cool" among young audience so i'm a sort of rarity (i'm 25 years old). I always tell my friends that they lose a HUGE artist, maybe someone will hear me someday...

Anyway i'm very happy to have finally a BS album that comes out with me as a fan, it's like a Christmas day! I can discuss with the others fans, i can watch him playing songs for the first time etc. But, what i think of the album? In my very  humble opinion Western Stars is really a surprising album and i would call a masterpiece if you allow me to use this word. I had a wrong idea of Bruce losing his "touch" in writing lyrics in the last albums. After i listened WS i understood that i was completely wrong. Not only the single lines but entire songs are written in a poetic way that can be compared with his best works from 70s/80s, and even if they seem the "same old stories" indeed he makes a new step forward in his catalogue. In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter. To make a difference, WOAD fails primarily in doing this, while WS fits perfect in this picture of the human being. More important, i think that when an artist like him arrives at 70 he has to show anymore to anyone, indeed he showed me that he can take new paths at 70 and that he can build Highways on these unknown paths to create great albums above musical genres that are new for him. And in my small portion of life i can say that only one man can do this and his name is Bruce Springsteen.

Welcome salgari!

My experience of seeing Bruce in Italy has been that there are very many young fans of your age at the concerts.Hopefully you will get a chance to go and see him and I'm sure you'll meet many fans like yourself.

Oh and The River is still my favourite Bruce song ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, salgari said:

Hi guys, i'm a guy from Italy and that's my first post here in the forum; sorry for english mistakes. I discovered Bruce only three years ago, i was in my car and the radio played "the river". I just knew his famous songs (dancing in the dark etc.) but i never heard the river before. When i came back home i had to read the lyrics because i feel something moving inside me and it was a sort of ephifany when i read it... A whole new world opened to me, the Bruce Springsteen world. Sadly, even if the boss is very famous here in Italy, it's not considered "cool" among young audience so i'm a sort of rarity (i'm 25 years old). I always tell my friends that they lose a HUGE artist, maybe someone will hear me someday...

Anyway i'm very happy to have finally a BS album that comes out with me as a fan, it's like a Christmas day! I can discuss with the others fans, i can watch him playing songs for the first time etc. But, what i think of the album? In my very  humble opinion Western Stars is really a surprising album and i would call a masterpiece if you allow me to use this word. I had a wrong idea of Bruce losing his "touch" in writing lyrics in the last albums. After i listened WS i understood that i was completely wrong. Not only the single lines but entire songs are written in a poetic way that can be compared with his best works from 70s/80s, and even if they seem the "same old stories" indeed he makes a new step forward in his catalogue. In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter. To make a difference, WOAD fails primarily in doing this, while WS fits perfect in this picture of the human being. More important, i think that when an artist like him arrives at 70 he has to show anymore to anyone, indeed he showed me that he can take new paths at 70 and that he can build Highways on these unknown paths to create great albums above musical genres that are new for him. And in my small portion of life i can say that only one man can do this and his name is Bruce Springsteen.

Welcome, and believe me there are thousands of 25 year old Bruce fanatics from Italy. I’ve been amongst a few thousand of them in the pit close to the stage at San Siro and they are Bruce’s most passionate audience along with Spain and Sweden. You are most definitely ‘cool’. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, salgari said:

Hi guys, i'm a guy from Italy and that's my first post here in the forum; sorry for english mistakes. I discovered Bruce only three years ago, i was in my car and the radio played "the river". I just knew his famous songs (dancing in the dark etc.) but i never heard the river before. When i came back home i had to read the lyrics because i feel something moving inside me and it was a sort of ephifany when i read it... A whole new world opened to me, the Bruce Springsteen world. Sadly, even if the boss is very famous here in Italy, it's not considered "cool" among young audience so i'm a sort of rarity (i'm 25 years old). I always tell my friends that they lose a HUGE artist, maybe someone will hear me someday...

Anyway i'm very happy to have finally a BS album that comes out with me as a fan, it's like a Christmas day! I can discuss with the others fans, i can watch him playing songs for the first time etc. But, what i think of the album? In my very  humble opinion Western Stars is really a surprising album and i would call a masterpiece if you allow me to use this word. I had a wrong idea of Bruce losing his "touch" in writing lyrics in the last albums. After i listened WS i understood that i was completely wrong. Not only the single lines but entire songs are written in a poetic way that can be compared with his best works from 70s/80s, and even if they seem the "same old stories" indeed he makes a new step forward in his catalogue. In my opinion now we can listen all his records and make a sort of book or movie about the human life, from birth to death, and WS is an important piece of this puzzle because adds another chapter. To make a difference, WOAD fails primarily in doing this, while WS fits perfect in this picture of the human being. More important, i think that when an artist like him arrives at 70 he has to show anymore to anyone, indeed he showed me that he can take new paths at 70 and that he can build Highways on these unknown paths to create great albums above musical genres that are new for him. And in my small portion of life i can say that only one man can do this and his name is Bruce Springsteen.

Welcome @salgari. No need to apologise for your English, it's very good!

My husband always says that the best Bruce songs are short stories which it's easy to imagine as films.

I am sure you are not alone in thinking Bruce might have left his best song writing days behind him, only to prove us all wrong by releasing this album containing some of his best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@salgari welcome & great post.

Don't worry about your English, write and post as much as you want, people here are very nice and no one will ever make fun of you because of your grammar mistakes. 

I had similar problems when I first started to post, nowadays I think about this forum as the most interesting English class ever.

@ all native English speakers, please mind the grammar, it can get very confusing for us :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silvia said:

@salgari welcome & great post.

Don't worry about your English, write and post as much as you want, people here are very nice and no one will ever make fun of you because of your grammar mistakes. 

I had similar problems when I first started to post, nowadays I think about this forum as the most interesting English class ever.

@ all native English speakers, please mind the grammar, it can get very confusing for us :D

Your English is so embarrassingly good, I forget English is not your first language. :)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Your English is so embarrassingly good, I forget English is not your first language. :)

I was going to say the same thing. I know English speaking folks who do not have as good a command over the language as you, @Silvia  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I clicked submit on that post I had an internal chuckle hearing Bruce singing ‘no one can speak English as good as you, Silvia’

:D

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else wondering what the calvary is making of this album (I can't even @ him anymore)? Whatever happened to him?

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

Is anyone else wondering what the calvary is making of this album (I can't even @ him anymore)? Whatever happened to him?

I wish I knew.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Is anyone else wondering what the calvary is making of this album (I can't even @ him anymore)? Whatever happened to him?

He just disappeared didn't he? I didn't always agree with him, but I always looked out for his posts with interest. A few people have wandered back on the back of this album, maybe he will too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Is anyone else wondering what the calvary is making of this album (I can't even @ him anymore)? Whatever happened to him?

I miss his writing. I sincerely hope he is OK. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Is anyone else wondering what the calvary is making of this album (I can't even @ him anymore)? Whatever happened to him?

I'm friends with him on FB.  He posts sporadically but he seems fine from what I can tell.  Happy even.  

I'll message him and tell him people from GL are asking about him.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.