Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

23 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Two things today, regarding the album (loving this thread!)

I said way up there ^^^ somewhere that I thought Drive Fast was autobiographical.  Listening to it again this morning and I have no doubt. Brucie is very good at disguising his meanings though.  Someone else said that the chorus could be a message to his fans, and I agree.  Imagine him ending a show with this song? Awww ...

Next, I'd like to change my mind :lol:.  A man can change, so why can't I? It's about Tucson Train.  @rosiejaneymary, etc, are you listening? I apologise! Days ago I was certain his baby wasn't on the train.  I even said he might be a horrible old sod! But I've been listening very closely to the song (over and over actually - now I'm sounding like Daisey :lol:) and I know who he is!! He's my Cautious Man, he's Bill Horton!

Back in the Tunnel of Love days, I imagined that they split up because he couldn't trust himself to stay true and she was tired of his restlessness.  Now, years later, Bill has changed! And he's so happy (I always thought he deserved to be happy).  She's coming back! What's the one line that tells me this? (Yes, I'm going a bit doolally, but I love it!).  Listen to the way he sings "I'm waitin' down at the station".  There's a tiny shift in the music - it's as if he's kicking up his heels and doing a little dance. And it's at that moment that want to dance too! I'm glad I see this song as a 'positive' now. Here she comes! You deserved it, Bill.

Here endeth my Sunday morning lesson.

On the is she/isn't she coming argument,I've started thinking she's coming but only in his head,to me there's nothing in the song to suggest she's coming,if they fought till nothing remained why would she come.

He's waiting down at the station,praying to the 5.15 (hoping she's on it even though in his heart he knows she isn't).

He's waiting all god's creation(waiting forever?)

Is he waiting down at the station everyday for the train? He wants to show her he's changed but will she ever know?

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

15 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

On the is she/isn't she coming argument,I've started thinking she's coming but only in his head,to me there's nothing in the song to suggest she's coming,if they fought till nothing remained why would she come.

He's waiting down at the station,praying to the 5.15 (hoping she's on it even though in his heart he knows she isn't).

He's waiting all god's creation(waiting forever?)

Is he waiting down at the station everyday for the train? He wants to show her he's changed but will she ever know?

I'm in a glass half full mood today, she's on the train!

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

Question for today: 'Got a pregnant Sally in his side'. Is this a straight forward meaning, or is it reference to an animal in his truck? I'm on my phone at the mo' at work so haven't got time to read/find the songwords.

Fanx in advance ^_^

It's straightforward.

Yes indeed, sir, children are a gift
Thank you kindly for the lift

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Oh … and you know the bit he DOESN'T sing, before the last verse in MM? 'Stopped into my old spot' … and he doesn't sing 'At the Moonlight Motel'. By heck, powerful.

During my work, listening to what's NOT said is very important. Same with Bruce's lyrics. He's still got it.

+1 to this. So many great "little touches: on this album. :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Oh … and you know the bit he DOESN'T sing, before the last verse in MM? 'Stopped into my old spot' … and he doesn't sing 'At the Moonlight Motel'. By heck, powerful.

I agree and this instantly reminded me of when he does the exact same trick at the end of “Brothers Under The Bridge”.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:
1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Question for today: 'Got a pregnant Sally in his side'. Is this a straight forward meaning, or is it reference to an animal in his truck? I'm on my phone at the mo' at work so haven't got time to read/find the songwords.

Fanx in advance ^_^

It's straightforward.

Yes indeed, sir, children are a gift
Thank you kindly for the lift

It's "his pregnant Sally", and the clue is in the first word of the verse:  "Family man gives me a ride".
So, yes, it's straightforward.

Room for another verse about a farmer though :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Room for another verse about a farmer though :D

Faaaaaaaaaaarmer's daughter in the loft
Iiiiiiiin the hay itchy and soft
Baaaaarn's a warm dry place to hide
Don't always need a road to ride

I'm hitch hikin' all day long

• Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Baseball player said:

Is the 5:15 train the same one Pete Townsend was on? Maybe we should ask him if Bruce's girl is on it.

I was just going to ponder why songwriters seem to pick 5:15 as "the time"... to wit:

and now Bruce...