Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

11 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Just been on a bit of a road trip for a few weeks, and WS stars was fabulous company. It really is a a humdinger of an album, best since the 80s . Hitch hiking through to Moonlight hotel is a great journey. It segments for me, always a good sgn of a good album when a run of tracks creates a mood .... a concept lost on the spotify generation. 1-3 warm you up nicely, into the heavyweight 4-6 (my favourite segmtent of the album) then a nice gentle lull form 7-10 before the superb finale of 11-13

Oh and Drive fast Fall hard is Bruce's Rhinestone cowboy imho!!!

WS is a proper album. In the 70's often the second side of an album was the best, and the finale was always important. Since CD's came in albums have mostly been front loaded (i.e. best songs at the beginning), not the case with Bruce's output though. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kay said:

Don't hear this at all but just heard RC last night on the radio - gem of a tune.  

I didnt mean it sounded like Rhinestone Cowboy it was just that reminded me of the song , the story telling / entertainment aspect particualrly -perhaps in a  darker sense :)!

• Like 1

Does anyone know exactly when and where Western Stars was recorded? Back in 2016 he said to Vanity Fair that the album had been finished and sitting on his shelf for over a year (which means it was completed in 2015) but I wonder if he revisited it in that time to make a few changes?

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 2:56 PM, ChurchBay said:

Does anyone know exactly when and where Western Stars was recorded? Back in 2016 he said to Vanity Fair that the album had been finished and sitting on his shelf for over a year (which means it was completed in 2015) but I wonder if he revisited it in that time to make a few changes?

My buddy reached out to Ron Aniello, and he said the vocals were all recorded from 2010-2014.

For the record, I adore this album. I'm all in.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 6/30/2019 at 7:56 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Sundown is incredible. A tune I’d brushed over initially. One of my favourites.

I really REALLY dislike his vocals on this. To me, they sound both forced and manipulated. Just not natural...

I thought how good Sundown is when I listened yesterday. A song I had almost overlooked, but it is glorious and I don't think there's anything wrong with his vocals. In fact I don't think there is anything wrong with his vocals on the whole album, apart from 'orses, which is still bugging me!

I do find it strange that parts of this were recorded as long as 9 years ago and then just sat on, but who am I to question a genius?

• Like 5

Sundown is one of my favourites on this record for sure. Its just glorious. I love the guitar, the beautiful Prefab Sprout style backing vocals, the way the arrangement and percussion just roll so perfectly like a soft waterfall.

And I love his vocal. Like all of the songs on here, I get the impression he worked very hard on the vocals on this album. as in ensuring each phrase, each syllable are exactly right. That chorus when he emphasizes the word Sundown and then stretches it slightly. ... Magnificent.

And it has one of my favourite opening lines... I'm 2500 Miles from where I wanna be... The song can go in any direction from there and thematically fits in so perfectly with the whole record.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 3

41 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

I do find it strange that parts of this were recorded as long as 9 years ago and then just sat on, but who am I to question a genius?

We waited 20 years to get Roulette... I reckon 9 years is a bargain. :D

• Haha 3

Sundown, Stones and Somewhere North of Nashville are the three songs which have really grown on me big time in the last week or so. I always thought they were wonderful songs (as is the whole album), but listening to them in the last week or so they have reached new heights. Great stories, so wonderfully crafted, melodic, and beautifully sung by Bruce. Listening to this stunning album from start to finish is still an uplifting experience for me. A jewel box of a record indeed.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 4

13 hours ago, Doah said:

My buddy reached out to Ron Aniello, and he said the vocals were all recorded from 2010-2014.

For the record, I adore this album. I'm all in.

Hmm, that's what I've been wondering re the vocals - they're a bit 'old'. Time will tell if Bruce's 'now' voice can hold up (such as on Sundown) if he ever does any of this album live. I want the WHOLE album live, y'all know I do :wub:, but I don't reckon it'll happen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Hmm, that's what I've been wondering re the vocals - they're a bit 'old'. Time will tell if Bruce's 'now' voice can hold up (such as on Sundown) if he ever does any of this album live. I want the WHOLE album live, y'all know I do :wub:, but I don't reckon it'll happen.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell;-)

4 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

3 hours ago, BITUSA said:

Not a snowflakes chance in hell;-)

How about Bruce, every single musician on the album, Paramount Theatre, twenty cameras and no audience, a couple of days of recording and a landmark Netflix special/Bluray/DVD release on the 23rd of September this year?

I’d take that.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

31 minutes ago, Me and Frank said:

How about Bruce, every single musician on the album, Paramount Theatre, twenty cameras and no audience, a couple of days of recording and a landmark Netflix special/Bluray/DVD release on the 23rd of September this year?

I’d take that.

I like your thinking, M&F! Good date as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1