Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

2 hours ago, Me and Frank said:

How about Bruce, every single musician on the album, Paramount Theatre, twenty cameras and no audience, a couple of days of recording and a landmark Netflix special/Bluray/DVD release on the 23rd of September this year?

I’d take that.

Even if they do have to overdub the high notes on There Goes My Miracle

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Sundown is one of my favourites on this record for sure. Its just glorious. I love the guitar, the beautiful Prefab Sprout style backing vocals, the way the arrangement and percussion just roll so perfectly like a soft waterfall.

And I love his vocal. Like all of the songs on here, I get the impression he worked very hard on the vocals on this album. as in ensuring each phrase, each syllable are exactly right. That chorus when he emphasizes the word Sundown and then stretches it slightly. ... Magnificent.

And it has one of my favourite opening lines... I'm 2500 Miles from where I wanna be... The song can go in any direction from there and thematically fits in so perfectly with the whole record.

First song that grated on me vocally - I defo heard the WOAD similarity singing there, can't stand when he sings "in SUUUNDOOWN" but with a headphone listen I'm open to changing my tune even though I don't think it will ever do it for me.  Didn't hear any Prefab Sprout backing style vocals so my ears weren't paying attention.  That would be a great thing.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Me and Frank said:

I’d take that.

like you, Me and Frank, I would even take Take That's take on the album sung live. It would be interesting to hear their take on that collection of songs. I'd take that too.

I just took a week or so off from the album. Put it back on, in a long car ride with the family and don’t like it anymore than I did before. It’s the worst of his career. I’ll probably check back in from time to time with this album but it is really bad music. I think the lyrics are probably OK, but the music is elevator music. Bad, bad stuff.

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I just took a week or so off from the album. Put it back on, in a long car ride with the family and don’t like it anymore than I did before. It’s the worst of his career. I’ll probably check back in from time to time with this album but it is really bad music. I think the lyrics are probably OK, but the music is elevator music. Bad, bad stuff.

.....and once again a load of people on here will disagree with you..... intensely, since it is arguably his best album for a long long time. You could conceivably call all slow music elevator music if you wanted to be derogatory about it....and this seems to be your agenda here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I just took a week or so off from the album. Put it back on, in a long car ride with the family 

What did the rest of the family think of it?

I didn't play it for a day (:)) and have decided that if I never heard Wayfarer or Hitch Hikin' again I wouldn't mind - the latter's too samey all the way through (music-wise).

Like the rest very much, especially Drive Fast, Wild Horses, Nashville and Miracle … absolutely adore Moonlight Motel (that won't change).

I’m sat in the garden having my morning coffee and it’s so hot outside already. I’m having a bit of a ‘toto we’re not in Kansas anymore’ thing but with England. Anyway, I don’t know why but every time I see a clear sky out, I immediately want to listen to the album and have all my worries drift away. I’ve put on Chasin’ Wild Horses and I’m sure this is what serenity feels like.

Plus if I look at the sky and squint hard enough so that I can’t see any green, I can pretend I’m in the desert. 

• Like 4

I know this doesn’t matter at all, but what would you say was Western Stars most ‘current’ sounding song? One that sounds like it belongs in the charts today? Whether keeping it sung by Bruce or imagining it sung by another artist...

I’d go for Drive Fast (The Stuntman) - musically yes, but maybe not lyrically. The chorus in particular has a really nice sound. 

I also think that the ‘chorus’ to Chasin’ Wild Horses would sound nice in Lana Del Rey’s voice

20 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I know this doesn’t matter at all, but what would you say was Western Stars most ‘current’ sounding song? One that sounds like it belongs in the charts today? Whether keeping it sung by Bruce or imagining it sung by another artist...

I’d go for Drive Fast (The Stuntman) - musically yes, but maybe not lyrically. The chorus in particular has a really nice sound. 

I also think that the ‘chorus’ to Chasin’ Wild Horses would sound nice in Lana Del Rey’s voice

Tuscon Train is perhaps the most commercially sounding song on there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eileen said:

What did the rest of the family think of it?

I didn't play it for a day (:)) and have decided that if I never heard Wayfarer or Hitch Hikin' again I wouldn't mind - the latter's too samey all the way through (music-wise).

Like the rest very much, especially Drive Fast, Wild Horses, Nashville and Miracle … absolutely adore Moonlight Motel (that won't change).

The family does not like it either. When Wayfarer comes on all my daughters say, “Tangled!”

I’m tucking this album away now. Can’t really see me coming back to it at all, but you never know.

6 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

.....and once again a load of people on here will disagree with you..... intensely, since it is arguably his best album for a long long time. You could conceivably call all slow music elevator music if you wanted to be derogatory about it....and this seems to be your agenda here.

And once again I will say enjoy the hell out of it if you like it. I’m done with it. Hopefully he’s still got some good music left in him. I look forward to hearing it.

6 hours ago, jackofnotrades said:

Hunter of invisible game came on my IPod last night and I heard similarities in the arrangements to WS

Great minds... I said the same thing yesterday to Mr RJM.  :D

Also I hear some similarities with Girls in Their Summer Clothes.  

7 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Oh, I love that idea. When Tunnel of Love first came out, I really wanted to hear Madonna cover the title track and Suzanne Vega cover "One Step Up." 

14 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Yeah, this is me with Magic. I tried listening to it again last week and got as far as Gypsy Biker and had to turn it off. I realized that I don't like the sound of that album at all and the songs all sounds the same except Girls which I really don't like (I've never understood the love of the Beach Boys.) Perhaps the lyrics are good but I can't get past the sound to listen to them whereas I am really enjoying WS. I also like D&D and WOAD so there is that!

1 hour ago, Troublette said:

Yeah, this is me with Magic. I tried listening to it again last week and got as far as Gypsy Biker and had to turn it off. I realized that I don't like the sound of that album at all and the songs all sounds the same except Girls which I really don't like (I've never understood the love of the Beach Boys.) Perhaps the lyrics are good but I can't get past the sound to listen to them whereas I am really enjoying WS. I also like D&D and WOAD so there is that!

Funny (or wait, do I mean completely offensive?). I love Magic. Other than Living in the Future, I don’t think there is a subpar song on there.