BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

2 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Completely agree.

My preference is generally for Bruce's solo work and this feels beautifully crafted with the same level of obsessive dedication as his early records (it is a perfect combination).

I hope he does not feel compelled to make and ESB album but, like you, if he is going to make one I really hope he does it with the same level of care as Western Stars. Drop the overdubbed production (drum loops etc.) and get back to basics with a well crafted, honest hard working album.

Go back to the "Born In The USA" album and listen to the song "Darlington County." Even if it's not your favorite Bruce song, just listen to the band performance. Listen to Bruce and Steven hooping and hollering in the background, and how Bruce humorously introduces Clarence's saxophone solo in the coda. That is a band having fun and playing with such joy and freedom. A band that is playing live. Bruce said in a Rolling Stone interview at the time how so many of the songs from that record were cut within 3 takes. I miss that. I miss the live feel of how they used to record their basic tracks. Especially the rock songs. The band played together as a band for the 1995 "Greatest Hits" sessions, but they recorded ballads. I think its the rock songs that really benefit from recording the basic tracks live. I'd also like to see Roy's piano play a bigger part in the new E Street Band record. With the band now having 3 guitarists, I think Roy has been pushed to the back a little bit too much on the rock songs. Even on the "Darkness" rock songs you could hear Roy way more than you do on the post-2000 albums.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

"Whispering grasses" may be the simplest, most evocative and apt description of a cemetery I've ever heard.

I think cemeteries are hard to write about, at least in my own experience. There are several cemetery scenes in two of my books and I always try to put myself there, at the foot of the grave, to capture the essence of the place; the way both death and life are present there and they seem to tug at each other. We go to a grave to mourn our lost and it's a stark reminder that the earth waits for us, too. I sometimes wonder, when we're there, do we remind the dead of life. I can't do it the way Bruce Springsteen does, and certainly not in the space of two words.

Springsteen's ability as a writer, his talent for the subtle, astonishes me sometimes, even forty years on.

You astonish us daily. For your wisdom, your ability to see these details, and above all, your humanity.

I am obsessed with this song and I know I am not alone.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I am obsessed with this song and I know I am not alone.

It's one of the greatest songs he's ever written.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

12 hours ago, -Sussudio- said:

But you could skip on CDs :unsure:

True but I dno't know about you but don't you think the whole 'skip'thing is too convenient with Spotify? They encourage you to skip. You purchase an album on vinyl or cd and you stick with it and absorb it, read the notes etc. The holistic experience of purchasing holding and exploring is far more rewarding; youpurchase an album and at least you look to get value for money and to make sure you don't miss anything . So much choice on spotify , making your own play listsetc etcit all seems geared toward instant gratification, no patience.

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

"Whispering grasses" may be the simplest, most evocative and apt description of a cemetery I've ever heard.

I think cemeteries are hard to write about, at least in my own experience. There are several cemetery scenes in two of my books and I always try to put myself there, at the foot of the grave, to capture the essence of the place; the way both death and life are present there and they seem to tug at each other. We go to a grave to mourn our lost and it's a stark reminder that the earth waits for us, too. I sometimes wonder; when we're there, do we remind the dead of life? I can't do it the way Bruce Springsteen does, and certainly not in the space of two words.

Springsteen's ability as a writer, his talent for the subtle, astonishes me sometimes, even forty years on.

I love it when you comment on lyrics - you always see more in them than I do, which must be because you are a writer too. Whispering grass will be with me next time I visit the one grave which means the most to me.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

5 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think cemeteries are hard to write about, at least in my own experience. There are several cemetery scenes in two of my books and I always try to put myself there, at the foot of the grave, to capture the essence of the place; the way both death and life are present there and they seem to tug at each other. We go to a grave to mourn our lost and it's a stark reminder that the earth waits for us, too. I sometimes wonder; when we're there, do we remind the dead of life? I can't do it the way Bruce Springsteen does, and certainly not in the space of two words.

It is a beautiful image; thank you for drawing attention to it. I guess the reason I didn't notice it right away is the condition of the usual German  cemeteries. They look totally different.

image.thumb.png.b812f23e016cfb5fe0047c4ebc0ca80a.png

No whispering grass, everything regimented, and mowed betweet the graves.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I am obsessed with this song and I know I am not alone.

Meeeeeee tooooo!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Does he mean whispering grasses as in long unkept grass though, or spirits whispering to each other? 

The latter was my first take on it!

Just back from a West Coast USA flydrive holiday (3024 miles over 16 nights) and this album sounded damn fine on some of those desert roads!!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

spirits whispering to each other? 

I thought this, and also spirits whispering to the living.  Giving comfort.  

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I think it must be a combination - why else "grasses"?

1 hour ago, berlintramp said:

I think it must be a combination - why else "grasses"?

Maybe.  Or maybe the ‘grasses’ are the ‘spirits’ (in the night).  

• Like 1

Forest Lawn is very well cared for. I don't think the whispering grasses line is to imply it's overgrown or weedy. I think it describes the quiet of a cemetery, the presence of spirits, the way some people tend to whisper at a grave.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

<runs away>

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I definitely haven’t played an album as relentlessly as this one since born in the USA came out in 1984. It’s becoming a drug. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

22 hours ago, berlintramp said:

It is a beautiful image; thank you for drawing attention to it. I guess the reason I didn't notice it right away is the condition of the usual German  cemeteries. They look totally different.

image.thumb.png.b812f23e016cfb5fe0047c4ebc0ca80a.png

No whispering grass, everything regimented, and mowed betweet the graves.

they look well kept and loved 

unfortunatly not every cemetry looks like that

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, J said:

Someone took time to do this? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J said:

OMG that is HYSTERICAL!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, riverdude2 said:

Someone took time to do this? :rolleyes:

Not amused?

1 hour ago, J said:

Not amused?

Not really.

42 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

Not really.

Oh.

6 hours ago, J said:

I for one really needed this laugh today. Thanks Sleepy J.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2