BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

1 minute ago, Mayo said:

Sleepy Joe's Cafe is dang near perfect, and perfectly placed.  If it's calculated, it's calculus-level stagecraft.  That song is definitely top 3 around my house, along with There Goes My Miracle (I do have 8, 10, and 12 y.o. girls).  My fave is Stones, which rounds out the trifecta.

Mr Mayo have we missed welcoming you to the lake ?

very nice to have you with us

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mayo said:

Sleepy Joe's Cafe is dang near perfect, and perfectly placed.  If it's calculated, it's calculus-level stagecraft.  That song is definitely top 3 around my house, along with There Goes My Miracle (I do have 8, 10, and 12 y.o. girls).  My fave is Stones, which rounds out the trifecta.

Sleepy Joe's Cafe, There Goes My Miracle, and Stones are my top three. 

As Daisey says, welcome to the Lake. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Mr Mayo have we missed welcoming you to the lake ?

very nice to have you with us

I joined up oh, maybe 10 years ago, but never got around to posting much.  I think I had a welcome post way back then, but thanks!  

I hung around Stone Pony London for a while, then their server died a few years back.  Had a BTX act too but never used it much.  I do like the Lake!  Feel pretty welcome here as a "lurker" for the majority of time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mayo said:

I also absolutely love Sleepy Joe’s.  It’s in my top 3 as well.  Number one for me is the title track, closely followed by Tucson Train.  So that’s my trifecta!  

Really love Stones, and Miracle as well.  And Chasing Wild Horses.  And Hello Sunshine.  And... and... 

Ok, yes, as you can probably tell, I love the entire album!  

• Like 5

@Mayo, glad to see you posting. Please post more often! 

• Like 3

There Goes My Miracle Whip.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I also absolutely love Sleepy Joe’s.  It’s in my top 3 as well.  Number one for me is the title track, closely followed by Tucson Train.  So that’s my trifecta!  

Really love Stones, and Miracle as well.  And Chasing Wild Horses.  And Hello Sunshine.  And... and... 

Ok, yes, as you can probably tell, I love the entire album!  

Oh Rosie, I love that you love everything! 

I am not sure about my trifecta, but WS is my favourite, at least today!

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Listening to the title song just now and I couldn't help imagining the Santa Ana winds smothering those riders on Sunset then blowing on up through the canyons, further into the hills, causing that dry brush to light, burning poor Billy Devlin up in his own campfire.

• Like 3

All this talk of trifectas!

Mine is Western Stars, Sleepy joes and Drive Fast....oh and they are in that order on the album so does taht make it a sequenced trifecta?.....:D

• Like 3

Western Stars, Hello Sunshine and Moonlight Motel for me. I’m still pretty much in love with the album even if I might have a few small problems with parts of it. The end of The Wayfarer with the backing vocals seems completely unnecessary and not very pleasant. Sundown might be, for me, weakest song in the album. Not exactly bad, though. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Bugger trifectas! The whole bloomin' album is still haunting me! And I'm still loving Hitch Hikin' as an opening song. Perfect!

Yep, I’ve tried several times to pick my top 3. But I just cannot get it down any further than 13. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

Always hard to make a top 3, 4, 5,...or whatever of favo songs from an artist, an album. The choices change as often as the weather does, well, at least over here. At first listen THE song for me was definitely Stones. That was way then. As I'm still into the album on a daily base, well, more or less, depending on time, work, problems that need attention rather then songs do sometimes, the changes are obvious to me.

Western Stars rules as bright as they shine at night. Briliant really, instant classic yep !

Tucson Train would be second. Vintage Bruce sobg, sound, melody. Yep again. T

Then things get a bit harder. No weak track really, no way !

But to give it a try. Moonlight Motel comes in third place. Soundwise reminding me of ToL times. Really, one would ask?. Yep, really...

Further down the line, let's see,.. 

Hello Sunshine, There goes my Miracle, Chasin' wild horses, Sundown, reminding me so much of Kingdom of Days, WoaD times, and still some to go...but then it gets too hard for me, the choices there vary from day to day.

But, as said here, not one weak track really, has been quite a while. 

Oh yeah, Hitch Hikin' really captures the spell of Hitch Hikin', done so many times in my younger days, it really gets to me, the mood of this particular song. It just goes on, some more music added, same as when you ARE Hitch Hikin', it just goes on and on and...yep. Love it really.

Still a shame to see it fall off the American charts at such great speed. This truly is an album which deserves better but reality sure is showing it's ugly head there.

Okay, next time, I might just have changed my order of songs, though, WS will still be numero uno. Yes sir, and ma'm.. 

• Like 4

There isn’t one song from Western Stars that I haven’t had stuck whirling round my head at some point

I feel like with this album I just can’t get enough. Every day I have to stop myself from posting the songs or lyrics all over social media or talking about it, and most days I fail :lol:. I just want everyone to know what a perfect album this is. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

I decided to have a little break from listening as I had been on overload recently, (managed a week!) but had Western Stars back on today .. yep still think it is wonderful.

I also got a text from a friend I hadnt heard from in a while which made me laugh. This guy has the most extensive collection and knowledge of music of anyone I know and worked in the industry a number of years ago but not much of a fan of Bruce as we have discussed on numerous occasions.

Anyway his words were. "I hate to admit it but I am enjoying the new album by ur man Bruce" !

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, rachelharms said:

There isn’t one song from Western Stars that I haven’t had stuck whirling round my head at some point

Same here.  Certain lines, snippets of music.  Every single day. 

• Like 5

Tears in my eyes from day uno onwards and still so, WS itself. Lyrics, melody, music, esp. the orchestration is simply beyond any words. It leaves me baffled, hope that IS the right word here, not quite sure really and it leaves me in a way only BtR, song itself did once, seemingly in another lifetime OR a parallel universe, not quite sure on what to decide here. Anyway, despite all the words here, it leaves me with nothing to say. Just me en my emotions on high. 

Really great to achieve for an artist. Thanks for that Bruce.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I know as said above that lists are a movable feast but with all the love for this album( that I'm still struggling with) which songs(if any)are now in your Bruce top 20?

A friend of mine who's not a fan (he's a Tom Waits-man, and also a big Townes Van Zandt-fan, btw), said he kinda liked the album, and especially Drive Fast - though he didn't exactly know why. I think that many people who like WS are ones who liked Seeger Sessions, i.e. people who don't like the Bruce-Springsteen Bruce Springsteen, the more stereotypical BS.

1 minute ago, Dr. Zoom said:

A friend of mine who's not a fan (he's a Tom Waits-man, and also a big Townes Van Zandt-fan, btw), said he kinda liked the album, and especially Drive Fast - though he didn't exactly know why. I think that many people who like WS are ones who liked Seeger Sessions, i.e. people who don't like the Bruce-Springsteen Bruce Springsteen, the more stereotypical BS.

Not me, I love WS, hated seeger sessions so much donated it to animal charity shop. I was in there the other day & noticed (after god knows how many years) so was the seeger sessions album. So slight flaw in your logic there.

• Like 2

Sundown and Miracle are rubbish, or at least better suited to WOAD, Drive Fast is an inferior, and unnecessary rewriting of The Wrestler. The rest of the albun is good to great. Not sure what the obsession with 'trifectas' is, seems to have originated over at Backstreets, but it really doesn't apply to music, and comes across as unnecessarily pretentious.

12 hours ago, Baseball player said:

Can't fault any songs on the album really. Hitch hiking is a good first song, nice melody, simple but endearing lyrics. Tuscon train is a lovely song, every time I hear it I'm more convinced that she is on the train! Nothing more needs to be said about western stars, apart from the sheer balls of rhyming "again" with "again"!

Chasing wild horses is the best orchestration I've heard from Bruce since wiess or btr... I like how the banjo (or uke, can't tell which) in the instrumental between the second and third verses is mirrored by strings on the outro. All of the last four songs are brilliant, what a way to end an album.

As soon as I heard moonlight motel, I thought "that is a classic tear wrencher, like the river or racing", then immediately thought "don't be daft, those are some of the best songs he's written", but I think i was right the first time. Moonlight motel is an absolute marvel... so simple and get so comp!ex. I've yet to make it through the song without a tear welling up. 

So thanks Bruce for bringing us such a wonderful album.

Tuscon Train is the one song I could imagine ringing out, sadly as he's determined not to tour this album, in a stadium with the E-Street Band. How great would it be if he closed with Moonlight Motel? Never happen though...