BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

1 minute ago, Mayo said:

You nailed it. He really liked the Live in Dublin version of Further On, and Seeger Sessions in general.  So those were two of his faves!  Yes, my own personal essential Top 10 includes The Promise, the one from the box set video (the black and while filmed take) - I got this BIL to strip the audio from the Thrill Hill Archive disc and turn it into a CD for me (the disc has Save My Love and Candy's Boy from Holmdel NJ, etc).  Anyway, that is and forever will be the definite take on that song.  I hear you on Kitty's Back.  Another buddy of mine and I heard that one in Jacksonville FL during the Magic tour and he was a little bored while I was out of my mind.  Different strokes.

good one for your BIL actually listening to your play list

did you convert him ?

10 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

good one for your BIL actually listening to your play list

did you convert him ?

Sort of.  He accompanied my wife and I to the River Tour, enjoyed himself, was glad to see a legend up close, said too many of the songs were same tempo.  Which is sorta true for the River album.  

16 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

And it sounds like he already complaining about his job.

Really? I've heard it as something he's proud of that's done him good. He calls it hard work, but doesn't say anything negative about hard work. I think it's a favorable comparison that he used to carry "that nothing" and now he carries his operator's license.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

And spend my days just running this crane 

Ok, maybe not complaining maybe just bored?

3 minutes ago, Mayo said:

Sort of.  He accompanied my wife and I to the River Tour, enjoyed himself, was glad to see a legend up close, said too many of the songs were same tempo.  Which is sorta true for the River album.  

oh man

he got to see the river tour 

i was only 9 the first time around

i kick myself daily that i didn't see the anniversary tour

i have all those nugs shows

that was 'my tour'

the river album was the first album i brought when catching up on the back catalogue so i had a soft spot for it anyway

but that last tour

Bruce made every song relivent

i coukdn't sleep most nights after listening to it

my takeaway message from that tour was that our struggles belonged to our parents before us

he said one night BTR was about his parents

i found it so profound

of course as is often the way it was many years too late to talk to my parents about it

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

my  ex neighbour the crain.operator knew he was lucky his crain was on the back of his truck and he got to go to many different kinds of jobs 

its such a dangerouse job when things go wrong on those big commercial sites

5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Well, it is only two joysticks and two pedals.

4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

He doesn't appear to have been at the job long enough to get wealthy.

She will still be on the 5.15.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It's the routine, that's killing him. Staying in one place, living the regular working life... I think he only got this steady job because of her, trying to fix things between them... 

I still believe that she is not on the train. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Millstump said:

Adding to the posts so far seems a bit unnecessary

Nothing unnecessary about what you had to say there.

• Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Millstump said:

Very rarely post on this forum but wanted to say thank you for the brilliantly written posts on Western Stars which have analysed its appeal from many different perspectives.

Adding to the posts so far seems a bit unnecessary but as a very long term fan (over 40 years) I’d like to say what a joy it is to hear a new work from my favourite artist which is just so dammed good. Unlike Bruce’s last few offerings which have had the odd strong track, WS holds together as a piece of work, the song writing is so very powerful and the melodies memorable. Equally important is the fact that Bruce is singing so well and in a sound mix which leaves room for his voice to shine and not some overly compressed cacophony of 15 instruments all producing a bit of and aural mess. 

It was bought for me as a UK Father’s Day gift from my daughter who is also a fan. My son sent me Look Now the latest Elvis Costello. Huge EC fan but sorry Elvis, you have barely had a look in since Western Stars came my way.

This album fits my life today as BTR did in 1975 (ie slower) and the soundtrack to life has another important staging post.

It’s nice to recommend a Bruce album to the non-believers knowing they will probably like it too, been a while since I could say that.

great to hear from you

please pipe up more often

• Love Love Love! 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

mine would be a never ending kitty and that didn't go down too well with the non Bruce crowd at the R&RHoF 

While I seem to remember a few Bruce nuts going crazy; As a whole they didn’t react as you (or one other person I know!) would’ve, but actually (and surprisingly!!) I thought they liked it well enough. 

You can just imagine my reaction when I heard that’s what they were going to do.  :rolleyes:

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 hours ago, Silvia said:

It's the routine, that's killing him. Staying in one place, living the regular working life... I think he only got this steady job because of her, trying to fix things between them... 

I still believe that she is not on the train. 

I think he has got a regular, well paid job just to show her a man can change. He wants her to come so he can show her his new life. She's on the train, well at least I would be!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

At nine, I climbed high into the boughs of our neighborhood's tallest tree
I don't remember the fear, just the breeze

If you saw the Broadway show or caught it on Netflix you know the inspiration for this line.  I did get to see him...on my birthday.

Displaying IMG_20180609_220909_915.jpg

• Like 3

Today I was able to listen to the whole album (twice) uninterrupted whilst driving. Something I have been looking forward to. Now, I can't pretend the M40 comes close to the roads through California, but...

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Today I was able to listen to the whole album (twice) uninterrupted whilst driving. Something I have been looking forward to. Now, I can't pretend the M40 comes close to the roads through California, but...

Any road for two hours will do my dear friend...

This music is about traveling from oneself to oneself. I am listening non-stop to this again.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

I think he has got a regular, well paid job just to show her a man can change. He wants her to come so he can show her his new life. She's on the train, well at least I would be!

That’s how I took it.  He’s proud of how well he’s doing and yes, as far as I’m concerned she’s absolutely on the freaking train!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Millstump said:

Very rarely post on this forum but wanted to say thank you for the brilliantly written posts on Western Stars which have analysed its appeal from many different perspectives.

Adding to the posts so far seems a bit unnecessary but as a very long term fan (over 40 years) I’d like to say what a joy it is to hear a new work from my favourite artist which is just so dammed good. Unlike Bruce’s last few offerings which have had the odd strong track, WS holds together as a piece of work, the song writing is so very powerful and the melodies memorable. Equally important is the fact that Bruce is singing so well and in a sound mix which leaves room for his voice to shine and not some overly compressed cacophony of 15 instruments all producing a bit of and aural mess. 

It was bought for me as a UK Father’s Day gift from my daughter who is also a fan. My son sent me Look Now the latest Elvis Costello. Huge EC fan but sorry Elvis, you have barely had a look in since Western Stars came my way.

This album fits my life today as BTR did in 1975 (ie slower) and the soundtrack to life has another important staging post.

It’s nice to recommend a Bruce album to the non-believers knowing they will probably like it too, been a while since I could say that.

Incredible writing Millstump.

I agree completely and find myself thinking the same thoughts as you, most notably your lines about each work being memorable based on the age in which you came in contact with them.

I have momories of certain albums too, and at this moment I am going to place this close to the top of his stidio efforts. BTR and Darkness are the only ones that still elicit the original feelings this far removed. WS is at this moment a perfect fit for how I am living. Like these people on the record, I find myself adrift and bereft, lacking some required nutrient, I am alone here at the moment Wife and Son are busy. Lately I have been lonely even with them in the room. Losing another job, but happy with unemplyment aid. I cleared brush this morning, WS blasting through my ear buds. Hard work makes you forget or at least helps you through.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

16 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

That’s how I took it.  He’s proud of how well he’s doing and yes, as far as I’m concerned she’s absolutely on the freaking train!! 

Of course she in on that train.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Nah.

She moved on long ago.

He didn't.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Millstump said:

Welcome to The Lake and thanks for the heads-up on the new EC album. I don’t listen to Bruce exclusively,  but I tend to focus on stuff I already have. I missed this completely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I cleared brush this morning, WS blasting through my ear buds. Hard work makes you forget or at least helps you through.

"Hard work'll clear your mind and body
The hard sun will burn out the pain" - you see, he knows!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

WS has been the only CD in my car since day of release, and I have played it every day. 

Whilst not thinking it is the masterpiece that others do, I have thoroughly enjoyed it. 

However, if pushed I would prefer to have less of the orchestrations and more of the Nebraska feel to it. 

Top 3 songs would be Wayfarer, Moonlight Motel and Western Star. 

This morning my Nassau 80 CD arrived, so WS will be demoted and I am pretty sure Nassau will dominate my listening pleasure for the next few weeks. 

Hello Spanish Johnny...... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

However, if pushed I would prefer to have less of the orchestrations and more of the Nebraska feel to it. 

would defo agree with that