BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

58 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

would defo agree with that

Can’t say that I do.  We already have a Nebraska, and a GOTJ and a D&D.  If he wants to make another album in any one of these styles, that’s fine by me.  Love them all.  

But... One reason I personally love WS so much IS his arrangements with those gorgeous orchestrations.  

Now if he’s got different acoustic arrangements of the WS songs, I’d absolutely be interested in hearing them.  And maybe I’d love them as much.  Be that as it may, I’m so, SO glad he released this exactly as he did.  

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:52 AM, Mayo said:

I straight-up just used the word "trifecta" in the course of normal writing.  It just came to me; I guess something subconscious about winning or excellence or what-have-you.  Not a bad choice to indicate favorite 3 songs that one would consider to be "winners."  

Also, Miracle is my 10 year old's favorite on the album, and she has impeccable taste.  

I've only ever heard the word used to discuss Bruce's music. As for Miracle, well...There's a lot I like on the album, but Miracle most definitely isn't included.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

I've only ever heard the word used to discuss Bruce's music.

I’d always heard it in reference to anything great that came in ‘threes.’  

FYI... It originally started in the 70s with winning horse races.  Being hockey fans, we also sometimes interchange ‘trifecta’ with ‘hat trick’ when talking about the third great thing in a series of similar events.  

tri·fect·a
/trīˈfektə/
noun
NORTH AMERICANAUSTRALIAN/NZ
  1. a bet in which the person betting forecasts the first three finishers in a race in the correct order.
    2. a run of three wins or grand events.
    "today is a trifecta of birthdays"
  • Like 2

i associate trifecta with horse racing and gambling 

and i hate horss racing 

The orchestration and arrangements on WS are truly wonderful yeah. More records like this are not expected, this is more like a sort of stand- alone release, a great one also, yeah, but if there were to come more like this, I would be thrilled really. I've always loved the sound of Campbell, Nilsson, etc, with a definite focus on melody, arrangements and orchestration. I still play Campbell regulary really, esp. the late 60's songs, Gente on my mind being a huge favo of mine, Witchita's linesman, Phoenix, Galveston, .... absolutely smashing those songs. 

That's an important reason I was so keen on this release and still listening everyday yes. The record also getting better and better. Only wonder where that's gonna end, surely one of the best,...or the best....this year. Which makes me wonder how good the full band album will be. This one will be very hard to beat, for me at least. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i associate trifecta with horse racing and gambling 

and i hate horss racing 

Is that like ‘Orse Racing?

is it not officially decreed that the H in ‘Orse has been removed?

• Haha 5

As I came in from shopping, clutching WS in my hand, Mr J asked if I had listened to anything else since this came out...

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

I was in the kitchen with WS playing and Mr. B came in and said "what are you listening to" (oblivious as men can be) and I told him.

His response: "Oh, only Bruce"

Only BRUCE? ONLY Bruce? Only...

He will never live it down.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 4

Been away for a week (yes, I could've hit YouTube on my phone, but I didn't and I don't do downloads or uploads or whatever, so ... :lol:), but today I am back with my vinyl and CD Western Stars and all is well :wub:

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Been away for a week (yes, I could've hit YouTube on my phone, but I didn't and I don't do downloads or uploads or whatever, so ... :lol:), but today I am back with my vinyl and CD Western Stars and all is well :wub:

Did you have a lovely time?

And I'm happy to report that I still believe it's Bill Horton waiting on that train :wub:

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

The more I listen to WS the more I'm convinced, " I'm ridin' high on top of the world " and telling myself over and over again, what a terrific album it is and what sheer joy comes from it, only to listen to it and relisten and...oh well yeah...

Great job done Bruce, thnx for that. My souldriver for all these years, come rain or shine.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

On 7/25/2019 at 9:17 AM, TupacThePuma said:

Not me, I love WS, hated seeger sessions so much donated it to animal charity shop. I was in there the other day & noticed (after god knows how many years) so was the seeger sessions album. So slight flaw in your logic there.- 

Been listening to the album again all over the w/e & have come to the opinion that the song western stars is officially my favourite BS song of all time, There said it.

Also want to add this comes from a doubter who had given theman up as a goner after TOL. To come up with an album like this full of great songs & now a personnel best song exceeds my wildest expectations. On a downer I just wish he would jettison the band & make more albums like this. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 4

12 minutes ago, TupacThePuma said:

Been listening to the album again all over the w/e & have come to the opinion that the song western stars is officially my favourite BS song of all time, There said it.

Wow, that is quite something.

5 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Wow, that is quite something.

A  melancholic, wistful song but nonetheless strangely uplifting, the type bruce excels at. much better than the bluster of the e street band stuff which now leaves me cold

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Welcome back.

• Thanks 1

Yep. WS an instant classic which, for me, means certainly top 10 of Bruce songs all time. Always hard to put a song somewhere as it changes like the weather. But yeah, surely top 10. It has all that is needed for a close-to-perfect or perfect song. The melody, words, musical arrangements, it just all comes together in this one. Their lies greatness in it, as only Bruce can do and has done so many times before. It leaves me breathless.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Did you have a lovely time?

3 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Sure did!

Was it a beautiful day?

Did you have lunch on the way? All for under a pound.

On the way back did you ........ Oh! never mind!

• Haha 4

On 7/26/2019 at 4:51 PM, whispered secret said:

Today I was able to listen to the whole album (twice) uninterrupted whilst driving. Something I have been looking forward to. Now, I can't pretend the M40 comes close to the roads through California, but...

That's a road where I frequently listen to Bruce! It's nice to imagine drivers in the adjacent lanes also enjoying Western Stars :D

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, rosiejaneymary said:

Can’t say that I do.  We already have a Nebraska, and a GOTJ and a D&D.  If he wants to make another album in any one of these styles, that’s fine by me.  Love them all.  

But... One reason I personally love WS so much IS his arrangements with those gorgeous orchestrations.  

Now if he’s got different acoustic arrangements of the WS songs, I’d absolutely be interested in hearing them.  And maybe I’d love them as much.  Be that as it may, I’m so, SO glad he released this exactly as he did.  

I love the orchestration too. I think it makes WS more uplifting than Nebraska, GOTJ and D&D. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

As I came in from shopping, clutching WS in my hand, Mr J asked if I had listened to anything else since this came out...

6 hours ago, berlintramp said:

I was in the kitchen with WS playing and Mr. B came in and said "what are you listening to" (oblivious as men can be) and I told him.

Surely these would have been rhetorical questions? :wacko:

• Haha 2

Fiscardo, Kefalonia, Greece. 10 minutes ago. 11 pm local time.

We were having dinner in a Tavern on the shore, in a picturesque village, lots of Venetian heratige..

Hungry, after a long day filled with swimming and sailing, we were waiting for the main course. We had just received the bread and butter, and I had just emptied a glass of rose as if it was water..

The sound that sourounded us was a mixture of  various different languages, the cutlery, and at least three different authentic Greek songs, each coming from another nearby restaurant.

I had my second glass. The rose here is crisp and lovely... 

My husband says: "Honey, I think this is Bruce!" 

I give him the look. The 'you idiot look, they have never heard of Bruce here...'

But indeed there he was, amongst all that traditional Greek music, very unpretentious... Hello Sunshine was playing in a nearby cafe.

I swallowed my apologies,  together with another glass, and the evening could not have been better.

:)

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 3

49 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Surely these would have been rhetorical questions? :wacko:

Don't you believe it. Didn't I say something about oblivious? -_-

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TupacThePuma said:

A  melancholic, wistful song but nonetheless strangely uplifting, the type bruce excels at.

My sister is by no means whatsoever a fan of Bruce. She has only ever bought one Bruce album - BITUSA - and I did not even manage to persuade her to buy TOL. 

However, I have this time around managed to cajole her into buying Western Stars because I knew the sheer beauty of its songs would win her over. Sure enough she did buy it and now loves the album.

Anyroad, to relate to your above comment she tells me that the thing she cannot quite get her head around is how she finds the album at once so goddamn downbeat yet at the same time so hugely uplifting. I smiled; the knowing smile of a Springsteen junkie.  :) 

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1