BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

Nebraska was never toured. 

Still one of his most adored records to this day.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Nebraska was never toured. 

Still one of his most adored records to this day.

Although there wasn’t an official tour of Nebraska all of the songs were heavily featured on the Born in the USA tour. I don’t think the Western Stars Tracks will be as integral part of the next tour, not just because of the new album, but Bruce’s library of songs is much bigger now. I could see him performing 1-2 Western Stars tunes per show next tour. Likely solo versions.

13 hours ago, Declansk said:

Although there wasn’t an official tour of Nebraska all of the songs were heavily featured on the Born in the USA tour. I don’t think the Western Stars Tracks will be as integral part of the next tour, not just because of the new album, but Bruce’s library of songs is much bigger now. I could see him performing 1-2 Western Stars tunes per show next tour. Likely solo versions.

Featuring  Nebraska songs on the Born in the USA tour didn't do the album any favour in my opinion. I think it was the totally wrong time and place for these songs. The intimacy and soul of the songs was lost when Bruce tried to catch the attention of 60.000 fistpumping, screaming and flagwaving adrenaline filled fans. In my book Nebraska is head and shoulders above the Born in the USA album but when I listen to a Born in the USA show I always skip the Nebraska songs. Western Stars is definetly a high point in Bruce's career as a recording artist, "the old man's Born to run", a great studio product that is probably impossible  to do justice to on a stadium/arena  E Street band tour. I don't think it is an incomplete piece without a tour, like an essential  song like Streets of Philadelphia is not an  inclompete piece because it's legacy is exclusively based on the studio recording.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Featuring  Nebraska songs on the Born in the USA tour didn't do the album any favour in my opinion. I think it was the totally wrong time and place for these songs. The intimacy and soul of the songs was lost when Bruce tried to catch the attention of 60.000 fistpumping, screaming and flagwaving adrenaline filled fans. In my book Nebraska is head and shoulders above the Born in the USA album but when I listen to a Born in the USA show I always skip the Nebraska songs. Western Stars is definetly a high point in Bruce's career as a recording artist, "the old man's Born to run", a great studio product that is probably impossible  to do justice to on a stadium/arena  E Street band tour. I don't think it is an incomplete piece without a tour, like an essential  song like Streets of Philadelphia is not an  inclompete piece because it's legacy is exclusively based on the studio recording.

very interesting perspective 

• Thanks 1

I could see Bruce doing a WS song solo acoustic at the start , or even at the end.  And maybe doing Tucson Train with the band.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I could see Bruce doing a WS song solo acoustic at the start , or even at the end.  And maybe doing Tucson Train with the band.

Agree - I think that is about as much as we could expect. Although if the WS tracks don't go down so well in the US, he will probably ditch them by the time the tour reaches Europe.

• Sad 2

WS is an orchestral record.

To do them any other way would be to do them an injustice.

• Like 6

On 8/27/2019 at 10:12 PM, Declansk said:

I can see at least 3 per show it's an outstanding album

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

12 hours ago, TOWNFULLOFLOSERS said:

I can see at least 3 per show it's an outstanding album

I can certainly see him playing a couple of WS songs in concert. It was such a late career triumph of an album I am sure he would want to do this anyway. Songs like Hello Sunshine, Tucson Train and Western Stars could come over really well live even acoustically.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I can certainly see him playing a couple of WS songs in concert. It was such a late career triumph of an album I am sure he would want to do this anyway. Songs like Hello Sunshine, Tucson Train and Western Stars could come over really well live even acoustically.

moonlight motel to close in the solo acoustic slot .... just imangine all the peeps who will go crazy nuts that that's his last tour :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:20 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

moonlight motel to close in the solo acoustic slot .... just imangine all the peeps who will go crazy nuts that that's his last tour :lol:

I hadn't seen this comment Daisey - but just wrote the same thing over on Kay's thread :o

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, dutchbeat said:

.his absolute best since, well, River, Nebraska era. 

It truly is. The new record novelty has worn off but my appreciation for this masterpiece survives. Probably grown even. I can sing this record word for word already. It's an ALBUM. Here's where it ranks for me

Darkness
WIESS
River
Born To Run
Nebraska
BITUSA
Western Stars
Tunnel Of Love
The Rising
Greetings
Wrecking Ball
Magic
Devils & Dust
Lucky Town
WOAD
GOTJ
High Hopes
Human Touch
Seeger

• Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 5:07 AM, homesquid said:

It truly is. The new record novelty has worn off but my appreciation for this masterpiece survives. Probably grown even. I can sing this record word for word already. It's an ALBUM. Here's where it ranks for me

Darkness
WIESS
River
Born To Run
Nebraska
BITUSA
Western Stars
Tunnel Of Love
The Rising
Greetings
Wrecking Ball
Magic
Devils & Dust
Lucky Town
WOAD
GOTJ
High Hopes
Human Touch
Seeger

Here's where it ranks for ME

Born To Run

Nebraska

Darkness

Western Stars

River

Greetings

Magic

Tunnel Of Love

Seeger

BITUSA

WIESS

The Rising

GOTJ

Devils & Dust

High Hopes

WOAD

Wrecking Ball

Lucky Town

Human Touch

I went to a local music store today, to buy a couple copies of Western Stars for myself and my friend who will be joining me to see Bruce’s movie premiere on Thursday.  (I’ve been listening to it since Day 1 on Apple Music but didn’t have a hard copy yet.) 

Anyhow, we looked all over the store - in the regular racks, in the New Releases area, everywhere - and couldn’t find it. I finally asked someone behind the desk, and she said it’s been sold out for ages, and they keep waiting for more stock. B)

(I want it ASAP in case we happen to get a chance to ask for an autograph at the film festival this Thursday.  So I ordered it from Amazon, with promised delivery of tomorrow night.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Kburke said:

I went to a local music store today, to buy a couple copies of Western Stars for myself and my friend who will be joining me to see Bruce’s movie premiere on Thursday.  (I’ve been listening to it since Day 1 on Apple Music but didn’t have a hard copy yet.) 

Anyhow, we looked all over the store - in the regular racks, in the New Releases area, everywhere - and couldn’t find it. I finally asked someone behind the desk, and she said it’s been sold out for ages, and they keep waiting for more stock. B)

(I want it ASAP in case we happen to get a chance to ask for an autograph at the film festival this Thursday.  So I ordered it from Amazon, with promised delivery of tomorrow night.)

sold out 

WTF ?

what the hell is going on ?

is that shop going bust and are not paying their Sony bill or have Sony lost the plot in the distribution/ manufacturing dept ?

this is very bad marketing on someone's part 

i don't even think we can blame my usual fall guys - JLM - but someone within Bruce inc need to be jumping up and down and creating mary hell

Mike Appel would be doing  this if he was still steering the ship, that's for sure

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kburke said:

you know Sony NZ are pretty fucking usless - ive been known to ring them up and give them a blast

shell we blame sony ?

Records are provided to retailers by distribution companies, not record labels.

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Records are provided to retailers by distribution companies, not record labels.

so who am i burning at the stack ?

the middle man ?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kburke said:

. I finally asked someone behind the desk, and she said it’s been sold out for ages, and they keep waiting for more stock

The first week of release it was sold out of the little record store we have in town as well.  I got my copy at Barnes and Nobles.  

• Like 1

Aaaaaaannnnnnd, they’re here.  Less than 20 hours later, delivered by hand to me at my front door.  What a miracle.  

(Now I can finally check to see if I’ve been singing the lyrics right :D)

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kburke said:

Aaaaaaannnnnnd, they’re here.  Less than 20 hours later, delivered by hand to me at my front door.  What a miracle.  

(Now I can finally check to see if I’ve been singing the lyrics right :D)

'orses :lol:

24 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

'orses :lol:

Oh, for sure I have that one right. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It’s almost been 2 months since this was released, and we still have the album on repeat in our car so I listen to it every single day. 

It’s definitely made me develop clear favourites, but also realise that there really isn’t one bad song on the album. I have to say though besides Moonlight Motel, I think Chasin’ Wild Horses is not only one of my favourite Bruce songs ever, but in general one of my favourite songs ever. 

I had wondered how long it would take for the novelty of a new album to wear off, and it really still hasn’t. I still can’t help picking up the album in my hands and marvelling at it. 

Rachel same here I just don't get tired of it and on different days different songs mean different things. I cant remember a time when I listened to one album by anybody for so long :wub::rolleyes:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rachelharms said:

It’s almost been 2 months since this was released, and we still have the album on repeat in our car so I listen to it every single day. 

It’s definitely made me develop clear favourites, but also realise that there really isn’t one bad song on the album. I have to say though besides Moonlight Motel, I think Chasin’ Wild Horses is not only one of my favourite Bruce songs ever, but in general one of my favourite songs ever. 

I had wondered how long it would take for the novelty of a new album to wear off, and it really still hasn’t. I still can’t help picking up the album in my hands and marvelling at it. 

I did the shuffle for a while and one morning feeling a little stressed, I went back to the CD and I am still listening.

• Like 3