Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

On 9/16/2019 at 9:34 AM, janeymarywendy said:

I recorded the last half-hour of The Misfits a few days ago and have only just watched it.  It was bloomin' well sad (I don't know what the rest of the film is like) and made me wonder if Bruce had been influenced by it whilst writing Wild Horses. Right down to the star in the sky at the end. :)

misfits-the-1962-008-clark-gable-taming-horse-desert-00n-8l8_0.jpg

It's overall a pretty sad film. And this love letter of a film to Marilyn by Arthur Miller would not only wind up contributing to the end of their marriage, but much worse, it caused the death of Clark Gable, as he insisted on doing his own stunts, which John Huston insanely APPROVED, of which gave him a heart attack that killed him very shortly after the film completed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

It's overall a pretty sad film. And this love letter of a film to Marilyn by Arthur Miller would not only wind up contributing to the end of their marriage, but much worse, it caused the death of Clark Gable, as he insisted on doing his own stunts, which John Huston insanely APPROVED, of which gave him a heart attack that killed him very shortly after the film completed.

oh wow

you know so much ! 

but now i know the film you mean

its one ive always wanted to watch

i thought it was Marylin's last movie and a serouse roll for her

i had no idea about its other dark consequence 

• Thanks 1

So is Joe sleepy because he's running a cafe when he's nearly 100?

How difficult is it for the stuntman to climb the tree given that he's got various bits of metal holding him together,is that the most daring thing he's capable of now given everything he's been through?

I know we all have our opinions on Tucson Train but listening to it I keep thinking of Reason To Believe & that going to the station everyday is the thing that keeps him going,also the wake up in the morning line that starts WS I think could also be the last line of TT aswell.

I am listening to the album quite alot trying to find the love for it,my opinion on it has perhaps improved a little but generally I still stay with my initial opinion of it being a work in progress,in WS,TT,Stuntman,Nashville & Stones there's a good half album ready to go,the rest is a mixed bag,some could be worked on & improved,some should be put back in the box.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, High As Hope said:

How difficult is it for the stuntman to climb the tree given that he's got various bits of metal holding him together,is that the most daring thing he's capable of now given everything he's been through?

I know we all have our opinions on Tucson Train but listening to it I keep thinking of Reason To Believe & that going to the station everyday is the thing that keeps him going,also the wake up in the morning line that starts WS I think could also be the last line of TT aswell.

I am listening to the album quite alot trying to find the love for it,my opinion on it has perhaps improved a little but generally I still stay with my initial opinion of it being a work in progress,in WS,TT,Stuntman,Nashville & Stones there's a good half album ready to go,the rest is a mixed bag,some could be worked on & improved,some should be put back in the box.

The stuntman climbed the tree at nine years old. There is no mention he does it now, when all he can do is walk home with all the metal he has in his legs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, High As Hope said:

The cafe is called Sleepy Joe's because it was in "a sleepy little spot" before the highway was built.  And there's nothing in the song to pin down the year in which it is set.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

The cafe is called Sleepy Joe's because it was in "a sleepy little spot" before the highway was built.  And there's nothing in the song to pin down the year in which it is set.

2006 plus?

'Little blue pill'

Well, not THAT song. Today may be the day I actually read all the lyrics. ;)

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

2006 plus?

'Little blue pill'

Well, not THAT song. Today may be the day I actually read all the lyrics. ;)

WHAT!!!?  You are from the vinyl generation that pored over every word and lyric sheet.  I even remember the time you recited every word of the Hearts Of Stone LP backwards.

Not to mention John Lennon.

;)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Rizla said:

I agree that it's not time specific & I know that it was in a sleepy little spot which then begs the question why would you open a cafe in a sleepy little spot unless of course he knew the highway was coming through but then he would have to know the path of the highway wasn't coming right through the cafe he'd just opened.Bruce always likes leaving us wondering.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, berlintramp said:

The stuntman climbed the tree at nine years old. There is no mention he does it now, when all he can do is walk home with all the metal he has in his legs.

Ah I hadn't noted the 9 year old bit (note to self,must listen harder)I was wondering how he could manage it now, do you think Bruce was thinking of the tree he was talking about on Broadway when he wrote that line?

8 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Ah I hadn't noted the 9 year old bit (note to self,must listen harder)I was wondering how he could manage it now, do you think Bruce was thinking of the tree he was talking about on Broadway when he wrote that line?

Yes, I do. I think Drive Fast is more autobiographical than Brucie wants us to believe.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

13 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

I agree that it's not time specific & I know that it was in a sleepy little spot which then begs the question why would you open a cafe in a sleepy little spot unless of course he knew the highway was coming through but then he would have to know the path of the highway wasn't coming right through the cafe he'd just opened.Bruce always likes leaving us wondering.

Joe came home in '45 and took out a GI loan. :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:
6 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Joe came home in '45 and took out a GI loan. 

Exactly.  It was probably the best that he could afford. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 12:48 AM, High As Hope said:

How difficult is it for the stuntman to climb the tree given that he's got various bits of metal holding him together,is that the most daring thing he's capable of now given everything he's been through

As a contrast, I can count the nights I haven't listened to it on either hand, and I only have four fingers on one of my hands.

While you see it as a work in progress, I find it perfect from the first note to the last. I haven't been this satisfied by a Springsteen record since Tunnel Of Love.

I'm listening to it right now with a campfire, a buzz and a coffee and it's one of the greatest campfire records of all time.

Have you tried it with a campfire, a buzz and coffee?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

As a contrast, I can count the nights I haven't listened to it on either hand, and I only have four fingers on one of my hands.

While you see it as a work in progress, I find it perfect from the first note to the last. I haven't been this satisfied by a Springsteen record since Tunnel Of Love.

I'm listening to it right now with a campfire, a buzz and a coffee and it's one of the greatest campfire records of all time.

no, but if i can swap the weed? out for a slug of rum i very much want to 

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

My listening tends to be in the kitchen when I'm doing all the exciting jobs in there.

I love how we all interpret his music in our own ways & how we see it so differently,there is an argument that many of his songs are works in progress,constantly evolving live,I watched the Q & A that he did & how he said Patti maybe should have sung on Stones & MM on the album so I think there's always stuff going on his mind that could be done this way or that,some of us will like this & some of us will like that.

Hope you're doing ok after your accident.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I believe this is now the Bruce Springsteen record I have listened to the most times, start to finish. I genuinely don't think I have listened to any other album this many times. And still want to listen to it even more.

I don't care if the live version coming out on the 25th sounds note for note identical to the studio record (although I hope it doesn't) but I will probably end up listening to that just as many times...

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2