Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

46 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I wish we could see just a few inches more of the bike. It's possible it's got a jockey shifter (a suicide clutch), but if it does it would be located just out of the picture. I actually downloaded the picture so I could blow it up. A jockey shifter would explain a lot, but I haven't ever seen a foot throttle on a bike (just scooters), but I suppose it's possible.

i enlarged that picture to check out the cactus!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I just listened to Western Stars for the first time in a few weeks.   Imagine you're Bruce Springsteen. Just for a moment, imagine that. You've written "New York City Serenade." You've wr

Firstly, forgive me. I have not read through this entire 100-odd page thread, nor very much of the several other threads on this record here. That is because I wanted to have my own thoughts and take

I doubt very much Bruce Springsteen will read this thread, maybe one of his mates or advisors will read..i dunno  ( mates and advisors..pass it on)   It's a slim chance i know, but if one of

Posted Images

8 hours ago, shirlsdins said:

I am not doubting a man who knows his bikes.. just thinking out loud that everything has been miraculously transported into that picture including Bruce and his guitar..

So do you think Bruce was actually sitting on his chair in his mansion on the hill when the photo was taken? You could have a point, young shirl. Lovely pic though.

• Bruuuuce! 1

I'm wrong about that bike.

Looking at the enlarged photo, that left pedal is a clutch, not a shifter, so the bike has a jockey shifter (hand shifter). We just can't see it. I also did some research on choppers and some do run them with no front brake. That would seem pretty perilous, especially if you have to stop on a grade. I'm trying to imagine braking with the right foot, clutching with the left foot and shifting with the left hand. I don't know what they did with the throttle, but I'm assuming I just can't tell from the photo.

All my posts about that bike up until now are wrong assumptions (except for it being a choppered out Springer). I think the bike runs and Bruce isn't actually posing at all.

If that's his bike and he rides it, he's a badass.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I hesitated for quite a while before writing this, but: Western Stars might be Bruce’s best album ever, artistically speaking.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
4 hours ago, Frank said:

I hesitated for quite a while before writing this, but: Western Stars might be Bruce’s best album ever, artistically speaking.

For me, it has become his sixth masterpiece album.

• Like 3

would think  a Masterpiece" whatever it is would have to withstand the tests of times,  the first four albums particularly BTR and DARKNESS have been out for forty years and are still pretty unbeatable, Western Stars is ok  but will it be still talked about in 40yrs, i really doubt it, these albums are part of my growing up, lyrically so real to life, to some these are warhorses but compared to western stars, well there is no comparison

We're not the last generation of Springsteen fans by any means. Hell, in forty years, Rachel and other young fans will still be younger than some of us are now.

Will they still love Western Stars? I think they will.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

would think  a Masterpiece" whatever it is would have to withstand the tests of times,  the first four albums particularly BTR and DARKNESS have been out for forty years and are still pretty unbeatable, Western Stars is ok  but will it be still talked about in 40yrs, i really doubt it, these albums are part of my growing up, lyrically so real to life, to some these are warhorses but compared to western stars, well there is no comparison

Considering that this album has came out in the twilight years of Bruce's unmatched (in my opinion) 47 year recording career I would say that it was a late career masterpiece...as it was described in a few of the reviews I read. It truly is a magnificent album. I know the songs were written about 7 years ago but even still it will stand amongst his best work in later years and after he has gone in my opinion.. As he described it himself a jewel box of a record.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, HeyMrDJ said:

What others do you consider masterpieces?  I also love Western Stars. Brilliant. 

Born to Run, Darkness, Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad...without a shadow of a doubt all of them for me are masterpieces.

Western Stars, whilst being totally different from anything he has done before, can join them as far as I am concerned. I'm not comparing it with the likes of BTR and Darkness, they were recorded in a very different era and a very different time in his life and they were recorded with the band, however it can easily be compared and for me is on the same level of quality as Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad...both equally brilliant albums.

• Like 6

I can only agree, WS is a truly masterpiece. From a guy who did a lot of running but it would also be a masterpiece if it were from someone who'd just start running. If fits his age of course and also my age I guess. But the music is truly wonderful and I think there is more than enough quality in it to stand the test of time, i.e. time that yet has to come.

When looking back at his songbook, which already stood the test of time, I do regard Wild Innocent, BtR, Doteot, River and Nebraska as true classics. 

Including WS in this list. Which I never expected really. WS is also one of the most enjoyable albums, for I'm still listening to that one, almost daily, when time is there to do so. Once again, or once more, another true masterpiece.

• Like 2

I just gave it a full listen for the first time since July. I've listened to all songs individually in the weeks since but what with the autumnal turn of the year it felt apt to listen once more in October's more dreich melancholy settings away from the sunny turn of early summer when we first heard it.

On hearing it in its entirety once more it struck me just how much I underestimated musical elements first time round. The gorgeous violin solo on Stones just adds to the fleeting nature of the album. I referenced before the sweeping strings that lifted Western Stars into the expansive beyond but I forgot just how stunning the yawning, dusk filled atmospherics of that lap steel guitar (or is it a pedal steel?!) was. It just adds to the sense of solitude of the song and the whole album. And there's also that glorious peak in Bruce's voice on There Goes My Miracle. His voice adds power to the strings and the strings return the favour. That song along with Sleepy Joe's Cafe really add a dash of extra colour and joy to the album.

It's great to see people attributing this album as a masterpiece. I wholeheartedly agree. There's always a reluctance (or perhaps a refusal) by fans and critics to grant masterpiece status to established institutions so late in their career. I'm not sure why. But there's no doubt in my mind that this is a masterpiece. It's my favourite album of the last 10 years. It is a spirited, heartfelt and tender piece of brilliance. And yet it is also shining in it's wisdom and gratitude for the years and decades that have settled into and been reflected by the music of the album.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Wow, it is so good to read all these reviews in favour of WS. The way it gets to people, the way it moves and touches them, the way it evokes all kinds of different emotions. The real strength of this truly wonderful album, I think, lies in the fact that it moves people so deep they cry over it. And yes, to be honest, it really is the same over here. In the title track I'm deeply moved around halfway when the instrumental part gets going and that particular part always brings out some tears in my eyes. It's kinda hard to explain really but as often before somehow his songs seem to push the right button for me. Through the songs he talks to me in some strange way, which is great yeah. Often the words are so damn recognisable for me. And I think it is the only album that brings forth such deep and clear emotions. So absolutely thrilled to read how people are touched by it in some sort of same way. Music can do that, it can bring people together, even from a distance, music can break down barriers, as long as you want it to do so.

And of course, still, taking my WS vitamins. It surely is a strong medicine especially when life is not going the way you want it to go, it gives me comfort and offers great solace. Hail to all you out there, wherever you are or may roam. 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, dutchbeat said:

In the title track I'm deeply moved around halfway when the instrumental part gets going and that particular part always brings out some tears in my eyes. It's kinda hard to explain really but as often before somehow his songs seem to push the right button for me

Exactly the same for me with the title track.  

• Like 1
On 10/4/2019 at 8:54 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

It's a custom chopper build of a Harley Davidson Softail Springer.

If he rode that to the photoshoot, he's got balls considering there are no mirrors, seemingly no front brakes and I can't see where they relocated the clutch lever to.

Are we saying that Bruce has a fake chopper?!

Whatever happens, don't tell Graham Norton.

• Haha 4