BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I wanted to post this last night, but couldn't find the right words. 

You all know that I'm particular about this album, but I've found that I enjoy it the most when listening to it late at night, around 10-11pm, on a 50 minute or so walk around the block.

It's funny because "Hello Sunshine" is my least favourite track on the album, but that lyric "you know I always loved an lonely town, those empty streets no-one around" seems to resonate with me more than any when I'm out there. The intimacy of just me and the music allows me to appreciate it so much more, without people walking and cars driving past to 'distract', I can focus on the lyrics and the instrumentals in a way that's difficult to do at any other point of the day. Songs like "There Goes My Miracle" and "Moonlight Motel", as you expect, have a fantastic aura of to them underneath the (Northern) stars and a half moon, while the likes of "Hitch Hikin'" and "Sundown" are thrilling in a way I can't really explain when it's just you walking down the street. I've got a vague idea of where I'm heading, but that can change at any point. 

The one thing I love more than anything though - and it's something that I wouldn't get in the summer - is that I always get a gust of wind hitting me at the exact right moment of every song. When Bruce sings about those Santa Ana winds in "Western Stars" or that swooshing instrumental comes in during "Chasin' Wild Horses", it's like nature knows and is listening along itself. It's perfect and it makes these songs something more than I ever thought they could be. 

With the right scenery, this album really is stunning. 

I have walked almost every day with this record, love it in the early morning when it is quiet. I don't know why but I have always had an image of a couple dancing.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

What I want so badly to be able to do, and obviously can't, is listen to WS as the twenty year old me. With all the love I have for this album now, I fear my younger self wouldn't have loved it so much. 

There's something on this record, that makes you evaluate time differently... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Silvia said:

What I want so badly to be able to do, and obviously can't, is listen to WS as the twenty year old me. With all the love I have for this album now, I fear my younger self wouldn't have loved it so much. 

That's an interesting point.  When Nebraska came out I was 20yrs old with a 9 month old baby, and I couldn't stand the bleakness of that album.

Only when I was much older did I appreciate the brilliance of it.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Silvia said:

53 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

That's an interesting point.  When Nebraska came out I was 20yrs old with a 9 month old baby, and I couldn't stand the bleakness of that album.

Only when I was much older did I appreciate the brilliance of it.

Well I'm 22, and I jump back and forth with it. There's instances like last night where I love it, and ones where I'm really not feeling it at all.

From what I've read, other posters around my age on here just full on love Western Stars to death, so I might be an outlier. Though in the last few weeks of playing it, I think of what Bosstralian said in reply to my downbeat post on the Random Thoughts thread late last month:

This music will continue to grow and sustain you as you move through life. I truly envy the discoveries you will find still hidden within works you may think you already know.

Since then I haven't really cared if I like or dislike something Springsteen sings, or well anything at all. Worldviews change over time and with each passing day and life experience, I expect now that my opinions of Western Stars will change an absolute ton. So let's see what happens! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

on a 50 minute or so walk around the block

That's a big block you live on.

• Haha 3

Well, I finally bought the album.....used CD store for $5.99. It's........good. Not fantastic but.....a nice listen. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

A great review - I can't wait to see this.

That bit about baggage you haven't sorted getting heavier as you get older - oh boy...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

A great review - I can't wait to see this.

That bit about baggage you haven't sorted getting heavier as you get older - oh boy...

I think we might need tissues.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

18 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

She's back

She never left.

• Haha 1

She's annoying.

And now that she's zoomed the jukebox out of the shot, what's the point?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Since I'm not in the UK at present and had time on my hands, I read this thread through from the start - there are some cracking posts in here and it was a treat to read them at last. I've missed the Graham Norton interview (which I'll catch up on in time) and I don't have the "Western Stars" cd to listen to, so many thanks for the official "Western Stars" music video links here that held me spellbound too. Roll on the showing of the film later this month:-)

• Like 3

Normal 'Western Stars' service has been resumed:-)

Listening to 'Sundown' now (it took that long for the computer to get through the updates!)

Special thanks to SteveJhb for his support during my fasting spell;-)

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Well I'm 22, and I jump back and forth with it. There's instances like last night where I love it, and ones where I'm really not feeling it at all.

From what I've read, other posters around my age on here just full on love Western Stars to death, so I might be an outlier. Though in the last few weeks of playing it, I think of what Bosstralian said in reply to my downbeat post on the Random Thoughts thread late last month:

Since then I haven't really cared if I like or dislike something Springsteen sings, or well anything at all. Worldviews change over time and with each passing day and life experience, I expect now that my opinions of Western Stars will change an absolute ton. So let's see what happens! 

I have to quote it all because it seems to me that this age issue digs deeply into each of us and is something I can really relate to.
I discovered Nebraska in my teens and instantly loved it, soaking in its gloomy moods and mirroring my own darkness in it.
Even today I would esaily describe it as my personal Bruce's peak. I was one hundred years old back then as I've been for most of my life, so it all makes sense in a way.
But now that I'm well into my middle age and have finally managed to accept my older inner self, these Western Stars come to me as a bit of a problem.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the album and there's nothing that puts me off in any way, but I can't avoid the feeling of being out of synch with its meditative beat.
Maybe it's just all another matter of (bad) timing...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Looking very much forward to Saturday night and spending the evening seeing this with my 17 year old daughter.  I think that quite a few of us on here have found something valuable from this album and I think that after seeing the movie, it will all become clear.  Bruce is amazing at painting an image and allowing us to interpret it as we see it.  I could see how a 22 year old might not "get it" while someone above the age of 40 might totally relate.  

There is something here for all of us.  It is the "baggage" that Bruce refers to that makes this album so special.  From losing love, to battling with depression, or just taking that long drive at sunset on the open road to just reflect on where we have been as a person.  Life is what we make it and until the chapters have been written and we look back at the book and see where we have been, we truly don't appreciate the journey.  That journey is reflective in both "Hitch Hikin" as he goes down life's "highway" at different stages. Or in "Hello Sunshine" where you struggle to get up in the morning and just hope that one day, the "sunshine" or "happiness" appears for just a moment to clear the cloudiness away from your life.

This may be one of his best works because it is a reflective piece but people struggle because he didn't do in in a way that we would expect.  But, just like life, we change and adapt and "slow down" a bit and in this album, he does just that.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 3

2 hours ago, thecommish said:

I could see how a 22 year old might not "get it" while someone above the age of 40 might totally relate.  

In general this is probably true.  

Although right here on this forum, there are exceptions to both ends of that rule.  

I also know some children (of friends) in their 20s that really love this album.  

I’m also going on Saturday.  Can’t wait!  

Enjoy your time with your daughter. Let us know what both of you think... 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Johnstown Company said:

Western Stars is back in the uk album charts, re-entry at no 65.

Amazing what a late night appearance on Norton's show can do.

• Like 2

God, please keep these posts coming...

I see myself in every one of them.

• Like 2

It was mentioned on E Street Radio that women are quite taken with this album.  I would agree.  My wife likes Bruce, and I have taken her with me to 15-16 concerts including Broadway, but this album has really captured her.  Also, her daughter, my step-daughter, is obsessed with it.  The funny thing is so is her dog.  She sent me footage of her little dog howling to the instrumental of Chasing Wild Horses.  The little guy was looking up and howling at the top of his lungs. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

The dogs on Main Street howl...

• Haha 3