BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

19 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Counting down the days for the release of the film soundtrack on Friday.

I'm genuinely more excited for this than I was the release of the actual album in June. 

Am I the only one who finds it are weird release? 

The guy from Badlands says it is superior to the studio album, but he does have albums to shift so it might not be the most objective review!

What I am thinking, if it is superior, does that make my original versions redundant?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

No I agree with you. Release a dvd fine but a cd. Hate to say it but seems a money making exercise too far! 

Still no one makes us buy it I suppose! Not for me though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry42 said:

Release a dvd fine but a cd. Hate to say it but seems a money making exercise too far! 

Even if it was, why not release a CD version of the Hyde Park concert? 

There's something I'm definitely missing... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harry42 said:

Hate to say it but seems a money making exercise too far! 

I truly never understand this thinking.  Nobody actually has to buy it.   But for those that want it, it’ll be available.  

It’s no different than any other movie soundtrack release.  

If you think owning the original album is enough, great.  For those who want only the ‘live’ album, great.  For those who want both, great.  Want neither, that’s fine too.  

I really hope there is a DVD release.  That still differs from a CD option.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Counting down the days for the release of the film soundtrack on Friday.

I'm genuinely more excited for this than I was the release of the actual album in June. 

Are you planning on seeing the film?

I still don't know if the spoken introductions are going to be included on the live WS, or not?

• Like 1

How astonishingly close (yet surprisingly distant from) Springsteen's latest heroes arenot the main character (grippingly played by Harry Dean Stanton) in John Carroll Lynch's movie LUCKY.

Close, for he too, like Springsteen's latest heroes, lives a ritualized life, a non-life in anticipation of real life. He and they are fixed by their past. They live only for and by what has been. They are for that reason alone.

They live only horizontally.

Distant, since he, unlike them, finally returns to life; during one of his routines, he faints and falls to the floor, and then, when he rises again, - he is enriched with the insight of his own mortality.

Now he can relate to other people again, become part of a community.

He has experienced the verticality of life.

• Like 1

ARTE has sent a moving film about Robert Saint-Rose, who lived at Martinique. In the mid-1970s he built a space capsule, with which he would go into space, The fuel he intended to use for the capsule's journey was the poetry of Armé Césaire. This rising he would do not only for his own fame, but also, and above all, for his country's honor and reputation.

So he locked himself in the canister and recited Césaire's poetry. Outside the capsule stood his girlfriend and several friends. When darkness came, and the capsule showed no signs of really lifting, they left him where he sat in the capsule.

You might think that ARTES film is a story of a ridiculous attempt to rise above the earthly reality, but the fact is that the film gives both understanding and honor to his attempt.

Now, maybe someone is wondering, what does this have to do with Springsteen and his latest album? Well, to see the connection, we just need to replace the space capsule with rock and roll (in the sense of: We gotta get out of this place) and Césaire's poetry with Springsteens.

Both vehicles illustrate the same insight:

You cannot change your and others' lives horizontally, only vertically. Thus, Springsteen's first album takes place in a world sandwiched between the joyous sky and the underworld of the living dead, a world illuminated and guided by the Sun, the source of all joy and happiness.

And Western Stars? This is the horizontal world. Everyone in this world is in motion on the earth's surface, but their movements are only seemingly movements; in fact, they are all fixed by their past: they are looking for the life that has fled. The sun in this world is on its way down. The top of the tree or the elevated position in the crane is just an expression of alienation between people. The verticality of the first album, which expressed the desire and a pursuit of a new, different life for one's self and others, has here been replaced by a horizontal expression of the distance between every human being in the present and the human being she once was, and between every human being and every other human being. In this world it is dark on Earth, and do not doubt it, it’s getting darker.

How did it go for Robert Saint-Rose? Well, when morning came, he and the capsule had disappeared.

• Like 2

Speaking of Born in the USA, I once wrote that Springsteen in that album replaced The Work with Himself.

In Nebraska, the heroes' desperate, alienating testimonial stories are biting and stinging accusations against a society that does not meet its citizens with honesty, justice, loyalty and, yes, love, - why they also lack the genuine self-esteem and sufficient self-respect that would have given them due respect for other people. Their stories form one of the mirrors in which the United States can see its true face, and we perhaps our future.

Western Star, on the other hand, is a collection of private stories. The lives of the heroes are fixed by one for them significant event in the past. The album itself is undoubtedly as one-sided and defaitist as the heroes of their lives are one-sided and defaitist. It is as if people's lives had no social place and significance. Here, rock 'n roll is an unknown concept. Here there is no anger, no not even a fist tied in the pocket.

The heroes of Western Star live in a Paradise Lost of a Paradise, which has never existed.

I do not hold Westerns Stars for a bad work, but I ask myself, why make an album like this in a time when we surely can not afford defeatism. And it is in all ways of lower content and solder, than for example Nebraska, and to now see how Springsteen, instead of producing works of real value in the real world, produces himself in all sorts of contexts such as the wise, honest, good, loyal, family lover Springsteen (much like in the self-glorifying second half of autobiography), and thus making himself the guarantor of the quality of his work, is deplorable.

But as Pentti Saarikoski pointed out: After September comes October.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

I'm not sure what's weird about it, truth be told. It's a live album that's being pushed as a soundtrack, nothing wrong with releasing a live album. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

The heroes of Western Star live in a Paradise Lost of a Paradise, which has never existed.

I like this definition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

I still don't know if the spoken introductions are going to be included on the live WS, or not?

I dont think so.

Its the live recordings of the performances that are in the film.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

Even if it was, why not release a CD version of the Hyde Park concert? 

There's something I'm definitely missing... 

That recording is easy to find...Let me know if you want it.

2 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

That recording is easy to find...Let me know if you want it.

Actually, now that you mention it I would really appreciate it :)

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm not sure what's weird about it, truth be told. It's a live album that's being pushed as a soundtrack, nothing wrong with releasing a live album. 

Well, how much did we have to wait for an official release of the full Greetings?
And of the full Wild, BTR, Darkness, River, BITU?

Yes, this WS live is definitely weird...

12 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

I dont think so.

Its the live recordings of the performances that are in the film.

This makes me so sad, I think his words are as important as the music is, or perhaps even more so. 

I don't get why the SOB album has the intros, and this one doesn't. Why the inconsistency?

EDIT: sorry... wrong thread... I got my fingers mixed up :huh:

I'd say, we will all have blurays of the movie soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

Well, how much did we have to wait for an official release of the full Greetings?
And of the full Wild, BTR, Darkness, River, BITU?

Yes, this WS live is definitely weird...

Sorry like, but that's a poor argument. 

I'm sure if BruceCorp. were releasing live shows in 2009 we'd have gotten those full album performances immediately. It just so happens that it took five years longer, and even with that being the case, shows with full WIESSBTR, Darkness and BITUSA album performances were released in the same year. 

Aye, it took two years to get the one live Greetings album performance and 40+ River album performances, but at the end of the day we got them. 

If this was the first full live album Bruce had released, sure, say that it's weird how he's releasing it when there's no live documentation of his other eighteen studio albums, but what you're trying to get at here just seems like you're looking for something to complain about. 

We're in the golden era of official live Springsteen releases, so let's just enjoy it, aye?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

We're in the golden era of official live Springsteen releases, so let's just enjoy it, aye?

That for sure.

I can't get enough.

If you read carefully I wrote the word 'weird' non 'pretentious' ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 100yrsOld said:

That for sure.

I can't get enough.

If you read carefully I wrote the word 'weird' non 'pretentious' ;)

Perhaps it feels ‘weird’ because typically a fan base would get live albums after a tour, and certainly not shortly after a studio release.  

This film is this album’s ‘tour.’  For now, anyway. 

Doesn’t mean he won’t play any of these songs if and when he does tour.  Doesn’t mean he might not have a WS album night (or nights) somewhere at some point. 

On one hand it’s absolutely different.  OTOH, the film is here and now, so it makes sense.  Like any soundtrack to any film. 

• Like 2