Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

29 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

Well, how much did we have to wait for an official release of the full Greetings?
And of the full Wild, BTR, Darkness, River, BITU?

Yes, this WS live is definitely weird...

I can agree with weird. It's not a proper live album, it was staged, filmed and the audience was instructed how to behave during the show, no doubt about it.

As Paolo said, it's a soundtrack album, imo. Not a live album. Definitely weird.

Can still be perfect, though.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

39 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Sorry like, but that's a poor argument. 

I'm sure if BruceCorp. were releasing live shows in 2009 we'd have gotten those full album performances immediately. It just so happens that it took five years longer, and even with that being the case, shows with full WIESSBTR, Darkness and BITUSA album performances were released in the same year. 

Aye, it took two years to get the one live Greetings album performance and 40+ River album performances, but at the end of the day we got them. 

If this was the first full live album Bruce had released, sure, say that it's weird how he's releasing it when there's no live documentation of his other eighteen studio albums, but what you're trying to get at here just seems like you're looking for something to complain about. 

We're in the golden era of official live Springsteen releases, so let's just enjoy it, aye?

Ok, let me rephrase it.
On one hand we have a 1973 album released in 2016 in an archive series that started in 2014. As you correctly pointed out it makes roughly 2 years (or 43).
On the other we have an album released in June 2019 that will have a live version released in October 2019. That makes it roughly 4 months.

Seriously, can't you spot the differences?

I see at lest three (hint... check all the dates). :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I can agree with weird. It's not a proper live album, it was staged, filmed and the audience was instructed how to behave during the show, no doubt about it.

As Paolo said, it's a soundtrack album, imo. Not a live album. Definitely weird.

I am very much looking forward to it...the performances are very Springsteenian in thier magic. I love the driving nature of his omni-present acoustic. Some of the perfrmances are better than the album. It just adds more color to an amazing project.

We have the book, Broadway, WS, WS Soundtrack, and soon enough a Blu-ray.

And...in a week a new Archive release!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

49 minutes ago, Silvia said:

This makes me so sad, I think his words are as important as the music is, or perhaps even more so. 

I don't get why the SOB album has the intros, and this one doesn't. Why the inconsistency?

The SOB album is a recording of the full show. The soundtrack to Western Stars is titled Songs From The Film and the spoken interludes aren't part of the stage show. When the DVD comes out, an audio rip can satisfy that want for the interludes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

The SOB album is a recording of the full show. The soundtrack to Western Stars is titled Songs From The Film and the spoken interludes aren't part of the stage show. When the DVD comes out, an audio rip can satisfy that want for the interludes.

I'm always behind... That's my destiny. Unable to go see the movie, all I have is patience. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Silvia said:

In 2009 they released a DVD/Blu Ray of an album played 'live' to an empty venue... No one thought that was strange?

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

13 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

Ok, let me rephrase it.
On one hand we have a 1973 album released in 2016 in an archive series that started in 2014. As you correctly pointed out it makes roughly 2 years (or 43).
On the other we have an album released in June 2019 that will have a live version released in October 2019. That makes it roughly 4 months.

Seriously, can't you spot the differences?

I see at lest three (hint... check all the dates). :)

I think the difference is Greetings wasn't released as a film and I also doubt there would have been much demand for a live version of Greetings in 1973.

I don't really understand the "differences" you're pointing out. It's as if you're saying a live soundtrack album of Western Stars is pointless unless all previous albums receive a live treatment and a film. That's sort of like saying the Archive Series shouldn't exist because we didn't get any live albums from Bruce until 1986.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteveJhb said:

In 2009 they released a DVD/Blu Ray of an album played 'live' to an empty venue... No one thought that was strange?

Well, I thought it was strange and as much as everyone loves it, I rarely listen to it and never watch it. I think an audience should have been present.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Well, I thought it was strange and as much as everyone loves it, I rarely listen to it and never watch it. I think an audience should have been present.

I confess I listen to it more than the studio version of the album. Especially Racing... Man I love that version.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Just now, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Today I realised - and by today I mean five minutes ago - that I've been confusing "Rhinestone Cowboy" with "Midnight Cowboy" for about 15 years now. 

I appreciate your support at this time. 

I'm withdrawing my support at this time.^_^

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think the difference is Greetings wasn't released as a film and I also doubt there would have been much demand for a live version of Greetings in 1973.

I don't really understand the "differences" you're pointing out. It's as if you're saying a live soundtrack album of Western Stars is pointless unless all previous albums receive a live treatment and a film. That's sort of like saying the Archive Series shouldn't exist because we didn't get any live albums from Bruce until 1986.

Actually I don't think there's much demand now for a live version of WS but it will sell well in any case.

I only used the word weird because I've never heard of a thing  like this in history of rock 'n roll, a full official live version of an album after 4 months (but I may be wrong).

And the differences are mainly due to the fact that after 43 yesrs you actually can expect a new version of a classic... but after a few months?

Sadly I've heard only Sundown yet, and it sounds pretty similar to the album version.

Actually it sounds even better but in any case I'll cherish this new release with the usual gratitude I have for the Man.

(but I would've preferred Tracks 2 :D)

• Love Love Love! 1

12 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I need to hear propper audience, and feel the communication between the stage and the fans to call it a live album. Magic floats both ways.

37 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I'm always behind... That's my destiny. Unable to go see the movie, all I have is patience. :wacko:

please can you shear a slice of that patience with me 

36 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

oh shit

i love that

that is my favourite thing in the entire world 

including air, water, food , daylight, shelter and anything else essential to life

that is pure genius 

i love every single second, every single note 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

im looking forward to the french horn (s?)

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

oh shit

i love that

that is my favourite thing in the entire world 

including air, water, food , daylight, shelter and anything else essential to life

that is pure genius 

i love every single second, every single note 

I'm going to take this moment to repost this gif

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

52 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I'm confused... are you talking about the 2010 release?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

please can you shear a slice of that patience with me 

I had the wisest Grandmother...

She used to say that if you knew what you truly wanted, being patient wasn't going to be too demanding.

(I messed up a tense here, haven't I :P?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I rarely listen to my Paramount Darkness rip, but not because of the lack of audience, rather the last few seconds after "Prove It" repeating just before "Darkness" plays. 

I hate being taken out of a show and that's exactly what it does. 

On that recording there are moments of pure essence (Something... and Racing) and there are also things like you describe. I think Prove it on this is rather meh. But I like it none the less. Adam is pretty fine on it too.

12 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

On that recording there are moments of pure essence (Something... and Racing) and there are also things like you describe. I think Prove it on this is rather meh. But I like it none the less. Adam is pretty fine on it too.

It's definitely something I'm grateful to have and it has a lot of value, but when I hear it I can't help but look forward to the inevitable Archive Series release featuring a full Darkness performance. Hopefully Wembley 2013. 

Fwiw I'm not forgetting Sydney 19/2/14, but that to get and hear Wembley show in pristine quality will properly transport me back to the time and setting that was the Summer of 2013. Great times.