BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

6 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

And the only thing that could be even better than all this? 

I think a bare-bones version of these songs would be much better, small acoustic band if not completely solo. 

I said it... now you can shoot... :D

That is a mighty fine list you've drawn up, @Scott Peterson. And there are many more one could cite! Like the one on my signature. Or "Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does its rain".

And if I wasn't too lazy I'd list a lot more.

Thank you for drawing attention to the wonderful lyricist Bruce is.

And to think he set all this to great tunes...

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

I think a bare-bones version of these songs would be much better, small acoustic band if not completely solo. 

I said it... now you can shoot... :D

Not going to shoot you! Personally, I love the orchestral arrangements but I would also love to hear them solo - acoustic, solo Bruce being my Bruce of choice, mostly...

16 hours ago, Scott Peterson said:

So I just listened to Western Stars for the first time in a few weeks.  

Imagine you're Bruce Springsteen. Just for a moment, imagine that.

You've written "New York City Serenade." You've written "Jungleland." You’ve written "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "Wreck on the Highway" and "Reason to Believe" and "My Hometown" and "Valentine’s Day." You’ve written "My Beautiful Reward" and you’ve written "My City of Ruins." You’ve written "Matamoros Banks" and "Devil's Arcade."

You've written some of the greatest album closers in the history of rock and roll. And not just because you're one of the greatest writers in the history of rock and roll—although you are—but because you not only understand the importance of sequencing, but are also a master of it.

And yet somehow, after all those—or perhaps because of them—years later you are still capable of writing "Moonlight Motel."

And then…you sit on it for five years. You just leave it in the can.

Because you're Bruce Springsteen.

If you're any other artist, you rush the thing out. Maybe you don't even wait for the rest of the album. You shove the song in the world's face and you scream, "Lookit! Lookit! Look what I can do! Look what I did!"

But you're Bruce Springsteen. So you don't do that. You just...wait. Until you've done a bunch of other stuff and you feel like the time is right to finish up this project and you do and it's a damn masterpiece.

And not of course it is. It's not a given.

There are a lot of truly great artists—absolute titans—who peaked and never again came close to being that great again. In fact, perhaps only Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash have ever come close to doing what Bruce Springsteen has done this century, which is to continue to write and record and release albums which can stand shoulder to shoulder with their very finest work—their very finest work being fine indeed: masterpieces, in fact.

The [mainly younger] guy who once wrote things like:

My father's house shines hard and bright
It stands like a beacon calling me in the night
Calling and calling, so cold and alone
Shining 'cross this dark highway where our sins lie unatoned

and

You've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above

and

Like a river that don’t know where it’s flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going

and

It was a small town bank
It was a mess
Well, I had a gun
You know the rest

and

They prosecuted some poor sucker in these United States
For teaching that man descended from the apes
They coulda settled that case without a fuss or fight
If they’d seen me chasin’ you, sugar, through the jungle last night

and

They died to get here a hundred years ago, they’re dyin’ now
The hands that built this country we’re always trying to keep down

and

If pa’s eyes were windows into a world so deadly and true
Ma, you couldn’t stop me from looking but you kept me from crawlin’ through

and

41 shots—and we’ll take that ride
Across this bloody river to the other side
41 shots—my boots caked in mud
We’re baptized in these waters and in each other’s blood

and

You end up like a dog that’s been beat too much
Until you spend half your life just covering up

and

As I lift my groceries into my car
I turn back for a moment and catch a smile
That blows this whole fucking place apart

and

Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see
Trying to learn to walk like the heroes we thought we had to be
And after all this time, to find we're just like all the rest

can still–can now—write a verse like this:

Now the pool's filled with empty, eight-foot deep
Got dandelions growin' up through the cracks in the concrete
Chain-link fence half-rusted away
Got a sign, says, "Children, be careful how you play"
Your lipstick taste and your whispered secret promised I'd never tell
A half-drunk beer and your breath in my ear
At the Moonlight Motel

Is that he says he's going into the studio with the E Street Band soon for a new album

I don't often read posts on here and get absolutely HYPE, but reading each selected lyric has made me really excited. For what? I'm not even sure. Maybe the fact I get to listen to these for the rest of my life perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

27 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I don't often read posts on here and get absolutely HYPE, but reading each selected lyric has made me really excited. For what? I'm not even sure. Maybe the fact I get to listen to these for the rest of my life perhaps?

It really is extraordinary. I'm pretty sure all of us here know he's a great writer. But even knowing that, you look at that collection of lyrics, which covers such a wide swath of tone and subject across much of his career—and there are dozens and dozens of other equally great examples of his prowess—and it hits you all over again just how great he really is. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I realised today, playing the CD in the car, that my favourite line of the moment is, 'Sat on the edge of our bed in the sun'.  Just listen to the way he delivers it.  Heartbreaking.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

"With you at the top of a long page filled"...one of my favourite lines on the album and I love the way he songs it. 

Somewhere North of Nashville is for me the hidden gem on Western Stars. An all too short song with such feeling in it, and a lovely melody. A highlight of the film for me as well.

A friend and I were just discussing how crushing the line "I traded you for this song" is. Utterly devastating. 

• Like 8

why on Western stars is that lost sheep of a woman from Oklahoma drinking a mojito at a  whiskey bar ?

(i am a rum drinker my self but i enjoy a nice whiskey and if i went to a bar specializing in whiskey id be having a whiskey )

• Love Love Love! 1

On 10/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, MacBruce said:

"With you at the top of a long page filled"...one of my favourite lines on the album and I love the way he songs it. 

Somewhere North of Nashville is for me the hidden gem on Western Stars. An all too short song with such feeling in it, and a lovely melody. A highlight of the film for me as well.

My favourite on the album from day one, beautiful little tune

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

My favourite on the album from day one, beautiful little tune

Beautiful song.

• Like 5

On 10/31/2019 at 5:20 AM, Scott Peterson said:

So I just listened to Western Stars for the first time in a few weeks.  

Imagine you're Bruce Springsteen. Just for a moment, imagine that.

You've written "New York City Serenade." You've written "Jungleland." You’ve written "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "Wreck on the Highway" and "Reason to Believe" and "My Hometown" and "Valentine’s Day." You’ve written "My Beautiful Reward" and you’ve written "My City of Ruins." You’ve written "Matamoros Banks" and "Devil's Arcade."

You've written some of the greatest album closers in the history of rock and roll. And not just because you're one of the greatest writers in the history of rock and roll—although you are—but because you not only understand the importance of sequencing, but are also a master of it.

And yet somehow, after all those—or perhaps because of them—years later you are still capable of writing "Moonlight Motel."

And then…you sit on it for five years. You just leave it in the can.

Because you're Bruce Springsteen.

If you're any other artist, you rush the thing out. Maybe you don't even wait for the rest of the album. You shove the song in the world's face and you scream, "Lookit! Lookit! Look what I can do! Look what I did!"

But you're Bruce Springsteen. So you don't do that. You just...wait. Until you've done a bunch of other stuff and you feel like the time is right to finish up this project and you do and it's a damn masterpiece.

And not of course it is. It's not a given.

There are a lot of truly great artists—absolute titans—who peaked and never again came close to being that great again. In fact, perhaps only Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash have ever come close to doing what Bruce Springsteen has done this century, which is to continue to write and record and release albums which can stand shoulder to shoulder with their very finest work—their very finest work being fine indeed: masterpieces, in fact.

The [mainly younger] guy who once wrote things like:

My father's house shines hard and bright
It stands like a beacon calling me in the night
Calling and calling, so cold and alone
Shining 'cross this dark highway where our sins lie unatoned

and

You've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above

and

Like a river that don’t know where it’s flowing
I took a wrong turn and I just kept going

and

It was a small town bank
It was a mess
Well, I had a gun
You know the rest

and

They prosecuted some poor sucker in these United States
For teaching that man descended from the apes
They coulda settled that case without a fuss or fight
If they’d seen me chasin’ you, sugar, through the jungle last night

and

They died to get here a hundred years ago, they’re dyin’ now
The hands that built this country we’re always trying to keep down

and

If pa’s eyes were windows into a world so deadly and true
Ma, you couldn’t stop me from looking but you kept me from crawlin’ through

and

41 shots—and we’ll take that ride
Across this bloody river to the other side
41 shots—my boots caked in mud
We’re baptized in these waters and in each other’s blood

and

You end up like a dog that’s been beat too much
Until you spend half your life just covering up

and

As I lift my groceries into my car
I turn back for a moment and catch a smile
That blows this whole fucking place apart

and

Remember all the movies, Terry, we'd go see
Trying to learn to walk like the heroes we thought we had to be
And after all this time, to find we're just like all the rest

can still–can now—write a verse like this:

Now the pool's filled with empty, eight-foot deep
Got dandelions growin' up through the cracks in the concrete
Chain-link fence half-rusted away
Got a sign, says, "Children, be careful how you play"
Your lipstick taste and your whispered secret promised I'd never tell
A half-drunk beer and your breath in my ear
At the Moonlight Motel

Is that he says he's going into the studio with the E Street Band soon for a new album

One of my most favourite posts on this forum, ever, I think. Thank you.

• Like 7

On 10/25/2019 at 11:47 PM, 100yrsOld said:

I wasn't aware of the Who tour, you never stop learning. 

What I found is a north american tour, a month in May, a month in September and two weeks in October after a two week break. 

And Roger Daltrey played 12 Tommy shows with orchestra on a June 2018 US tour. 

Still nothing comparable with an average Springsteen tour.

Rush toured with a nine-piece string section during their Clockwork Angels Tour- 72 dates across the US, Canada and Europe. Bruce's Western Stars orchestra is mostly strings and horns. It's very doable, though it's also expensive. The real issue is whether it's financially worth it for Bruce Inc., and it probably isn't. 

As for the album, I hadn't listened to it for a few weeks at least, not because I was tired of it, just to hear some variety. When I put it on again, I liked it even more than I did previously, if that's possible. 

I loved the film! Rhinestone Cowboy was the perfect closer. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, misty rain said:

I loved the film! Rhinestone Cowboy was the perfect closer. 

Me too, and yes ma’am it surly was!!! :wub:

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 11:34 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

why on Western stars is that lost sheep of a woman from Oklahoma drinking a mojito at a  whiskey bar ?

(i am a rum drinker my self but i enjoy a nice whiskey and if i went to a bar specializing in whiskey id be having a whiskey )

Good question. Maybe because she is so contrary and always does the opposite? Hence her being a lost sheep.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EFC Refugee said:

Good question. Maybe because she is so contrary and always does the opposite? Hence her being a lost sheep.

I took the whiskey bar reference in the song to be specifically about Bar 1200 located in the Sunset Marquis Hotel. The bar is known as the whiskey bar and is popular with musicians and celebrities, but it offers a wide variety of cocktails.

https://sunsetmarquis.com/bar-1200/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Marquis_Hotel#Whisky_Bar

The bar of the hotel, known as BAR 1200, was established in 2005.[4] It is a small bar and only accommodates about 60 people, but it is known as a hangout for musicians and celebrities.[5] It is often visited by musicians such as Billy Gibbons, U2, Rolling Stones, Robbie Williams, John Mayer, and Aerosmith. It regularly hosts music industry and entertainment related events and parties. This is the original Whiskey Bar where Rande Gerber partnered with the Sunset Marquis to create the exclusive concept. Bar 1200 continues the legacy of appealing to the music industry and music lovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I took the whiskey bar reference in the song to be specifically about Bar 1200 located in the Sunset Marquis Hotel.

Not knowing this, but reading the lyrics and seeing that it was capitalized, I just took it to be the name of a fictional bar.  

Thank you for the info! 

• Like 2

I may not be correct, but it fits in with the character living in the canyons above Sunset and the "riders on Sunset" lyric.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

When I was younger living in Hollywood or maybe in Venice, I'd often go to bars drink and meet people. These nights were always a crapshoot. You never knew if a new friend would arrive or an old one, a ghost would appear. Los Angeles at night is a magic and scary place. Fast Cars and rich kids running amok in these bars and other night scenes. I met my fair share lost sheep in those nights amidst the night people. People working to make it in movies or music, sales people of various types. I was always broke, looking for a girl. My best friend was my wing man who drove around. We'd often meet girls who travel in packs of two like us. we'd be in a bar called various cool names. We'd meet these lost sheep and hook up or get numbers....The riders on sunset line seems to be all these people lost in Los Angeles looking for connection amidst the ghosts. Our hero has seen it for many years unfolding before him. This cowboy is us, as we try to evade the encroaching desert, as it moves towards us. We are the chihuahua or we may be the coyote, So many people from various ways of life. A old movie star. A Film producer. Someone who works in an office. A Rock star.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I took the whiskey bar reference in the song to be specifically about Bar 1200 located in the Sunset Marquis Hotel. The bar is known as the whiskey bar and is popular with musicians and celebrities, but it offers a wide variety of cocktails.

https://sunsetmarquis.com/bar-1200/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Marquis_Hotel#Whisky_Bar

The bar of the hotel, known as BAR 1200, was established in 2005.[4] It is a small bar and only accommodates about 60 people, but it is known as a hangout for musicians and celebrities.[5] It is often visited by musicians such as Billy Gibbons, U2, Rolling Stones, Robbie Williams, John Mayer, and Aerosmith. It regularly hosts music industry and entertainment related events and parties. This is the original Whiskey Bar where Rande Gerber partnered with the Sunset Marquis to create the exclusive concept. Bar 1200 continues the legacy of appealing to the music industry and music lovers.

well that kinds kind of excitting 

but i was still hoping for a bar for whiskey conersers (excuse spelling)

I just think of Alabama Song "Show me the way to the next whisky bar" .....

• Like 3

After another long spell away from home and without Western Stars, I finally got to play the cd last night (on headphones), and the word that came to mind as I listened was 'Benediction'.

It's been a fraught time, and finding that my personal cd player would no longer work didn't help, but I got the old 'boom box' out and it obliged. 

Bliss, losing myself and finding myself renewed by listening intently to the whole of Western Stars. God be good to Bruce for all that he's given me, now and over many years.

(Getting this pc updated overnight so I could reconnect with this site was the opposite of bliss but Bruce smoothed out my ruffled feathers and put the world to rights for me, as he always does:-)

• Like 4