Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

21 hours ago, Rizla said:

I did include their definition of Americana in my post, so it is what it is.  Your own definitions may vary.

You did!  Sorry I don’t know how I missed it; and posted one as well.  

19 hours ago, Leo88 said:

This together with the fact that he is not an Americana artist probably explains why he was not nominated at the Grammys or in the international categories at the UK Americana awards.

As I’ve said, I have a very good friend who is extremely well versed in the music industry.  She was completely shocked WS was not nominated for a Grammy.  In her opinion not only should it have been nominated, it should have won. 

• Like 2

I was imagining an instrumental version of this album today, and I really liked it. 

Which instrument should be used instead of the vocals?

I watched the "Westen Stars" dvd on the family tv last night, and my adult son ambled in and watched with me.

When it finished, I went back so he could see the first couple of songs and their film accompaniment. At the end I asked him what he thought about it all, and he said it made him want to be a better person. Hat tipped to Bruce Springsteen for passing along his hard-won wisdom:-)

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

• 3 months later...

Western Stars made me break lockdown!!! Yes I was getting some items from the supermarket and ona legitimate journey! I had put on Western Stars cd, the first time I listened to the album in several months and ended up missing my exit off the expressway during Drive Fast fall hard!!! Bloody hell its a good album...sorry Mark Drakeford!!!:D

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Western Stars made me break lockdown!!! Yes I was getting some items from the supermarket and ona legitimate journey! I had put on Western Stars cd, the first time I listened to the album in several months and ended up missing my exit off the expressway during Drive Fast fall hard!!! Bloody hell its a good album...sorry Mark Drakeford!!!:D

As long as you say you were going to check your eyesight you'll be fine ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

It's been almost a year, and I have been listening to WS pretty regularly. I still think the album is an amazing piece of art, and Moonlight Motel still moves me tremendously, every time I hear it.

It's funny, I sometimes get 'fed up' with the old songs, and play WS, and all the songs still feel so refreshing and intriguing. I wonder how long this is going to last?

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

Western Stars was the soundtrack of last summer for me. I played the album almost non-stop for three months, learning all the lyrics to the songs etc. Haven't listed to it all the way through for quite a while now, but I did give Chasin' Wild Horses, Moonlight Motel and Hello Sunshine a listen a week ago. They are just magical songs in my opinion. The album for me is one of his best ever. It deserves an honoured place in his fabulous body of work.

• Like 8

The album grew on me big time, aided by the movie & album being on the in-flight system for a couple of very long flights I did Jan/Feb time. I haven't listened to it very often since then but I certainly will over time. Definitely worth the wait to 'get it'.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, Harry42 said:

Put the album on last night whilst washing the dishes. Stayed in the kitchen to the last notes, long past I had finished. As I get older (currently 55) I think this will be the album I return to most. It's tone and sentiments seem to match those feelings of getting older perfectly. A beautiful album and in these uncertain times one to cherish!

This, yes. Thank you for your words. Please keep posting too.

• 2 weeks later...