Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

38 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

All I can think about now is how hard arena tickets will be for these shows if he tours with the album. If this song is an indication of how popular this album is going to be with the fan base, coupled with our stadium show fatigue, it’s going to be one hell of a scramble. 

At least it will be seated only so I can justify doing multiple shows by travelling on the day rather than the day before to get in the pit. 

Funny, because my thought was "Thank fcuk - now there's no way he will want to ca$h in and play Perth Stadium" (assuming we see him in our Summer of 2020) which i was fearing.

Sorry if I’ve missed this but has much been said about the limited vinyl versions?

http://www.badlands.co.uk/bruce-springsteen-western-stars-2-x-12-exclusive-colour-vinyl-lp/

(The email from Badlands made it sound like there will be two limited versions, but seems to be just the multi-coloured clear vinyl).

Also see the CD is just coming in a cardboard sleeve.

36 minutes ago, Frank said:

“Someday girl I don’t know when / we’re gonna get to that place where we really want to go / and we’ll walk in the sun”

That day has probably arrived. Or to quote one of the last songs he performed, Hello Sunshine in Down the road “at peace”.

Indeed.

43 minutes ago, Thosisd said:

Sorry if I’ve missed this but has much been said about the limited vinyl versions?

http://www.badlands.co.uk/bruce-springsteen-western-stars-2-x-12-exclusive-colour-vinyl-lp/

(The email from Badlands made it sound like there will be two limited versions, but seems to be just the multi-coloured clear vinyl).

Also see the CD is just coming in a cardboard sleeve.

vinyl is beautiful for good

but CDs are my every day

i hate those crap cardboard sleeves

im more than happy to give up single use plastic bags but i want my CD cases !

• Love Love Love! 1

42 minutes ago, Frank said:

“Someday girl I don’t know when / we’re gonna get to that place where we really want to go / and we’ll walk in the sun”

That day has probably arrived. Or to quote one of the last songs he performed, Hello Sunshine in Down the road “at peace”.

maybe he dodnt recognise it when he found it ?

31 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

vinyl is beautiful for good

but CDs are my every day

i hate those crap cardboard sleeves

im more than happy to give up single use plastic bags but i want my CD cases !

100% agree about the crap cardboard sleeves.  The discs get scratched to hell they are so tight.  Would much prefer jewel cases but if cardboard must be used, surely it isn’t too much to ask that they use those protective soft inner sleeves as well.  Really lazy production values.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

If you listen to Knopfler's solo stuff hoping to hear Dire Straits you'll be disappointed, taken on its own merits it is fantastic. Oh, he certainly hasn't faded from public consciousness; he's doing a sell out world tour as we speak.

There is a great clip of him doing Romeo & Juliet “solo” on you tube at the moment.  From BBC archives I think but a very recent clip.  Much more weathered and jaded but a really nice alternate take. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jukebox said:

He started a Euro tour in Barcelona two nights ago.  The Knopflerverse is going ballistic, as he *didn't* play Sultans of Swing.

He's ignored Australia and New Zealand for over a decade, and there's rumours this is his last tour.

As much as I love the man's music, given the setlist - which doesn't move much - I won't be flying over to see him.

Sneak peak here:

Yeah, have to say the setlist has put me off as much as anything.  If I got to hear some of the early Straits material, even if the arrangements were tweaked, I would be there but there just isn’t enough to hold my interest as it stands.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Yeah, have to say the setlist has put me off as much as anything.  If I got to hear some of the early Straits material, even if the arrangements were tweaked, I would be there but there just isn’t enough to hold my interest as it stands.

Well, this setlist is stellar, sultans or not (which, btw, has been played to death). And he has horns this time. A must see, if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, jukebox said:

Funny, because my thought was "Thank fcuk - now there's no way he will want to ca$h in and play Perth Stadium" (assuming we see him in our Summer of 2020) which i was fearing.

Perth? Me too

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Walker in the sun said:

Not distracting me. Picking up my copy tomorrow. However I did balk at the £150 Soulfire Live set. I mean, really? 

I follow both Amy and Maureen.  Read all the exchanges.  There was ZERO “trouble.”   

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I am concerned that my friend @Cecilia Sweden hasn't surfaced on this thread. Does she know of the new album, has she heard the single?

Yes, she does!  She’s just busy at the moment... 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

11 hours ago, Kay said:

Admittedly I was half in the bag a few weeks ago but started you tubing and dunno how but came across a fairly recent clip of him playing solo, not sure if it was in the UK, but the place was packed and he sounded marvelous.  

If you like laid back, melodic, mostly celtic influenced melodies, with a lot of blues thrown in (these tend to be my less favourite type of song) you really can't go wrong with any latter day solo album, although personally I think Tracker is the most consistent of the lot. There's a lot of stuff on his latest release that doesn't really do it for me, but as always a handful of great tunes also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Well, this setlist is stellar, sultans or not (which, btw, has been played to death). And he has horns this time. A must see, if you ask me. 

Got ticket to see him at the 02, pretty decent seat, although I would have held out for RAH tix if I knew he was going to play there. Never seen him live, can't wait too. Not overly bothered about Sultans..but still hoping he pulls out Drover's Road, Down The Road Wherever, Good On You, Son, and maybe (as a Liverpool fan) Just a Boy Away from Home off his latest releases. The songs he's played so far are the ones I don't like!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

Got ticket to see him at the 02, pretty decent seat, although I would have held out for RAH tix if I knew he was going to play there. Never seen him live, can't wait too. Not overly bothered about Sultans..but still hoping he pulls out Drover's Road, Down The Road Wherever, Good On You, Son, and maybe (as a Liverpool fan) Just a Boy Away from Home off his latest releases. The songs he's played so far are the ones I don't like!

Please don't do this to me - all I read was 'got tickets to see him at 02' and for a dreadful moment I wondered what I had missed:huh:!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 years ago when we were all getting married, rather than dressing the stag up as a woman, we had this pink sweatshirt with a white stallion rearing up on its hindlimbs in front of a magic mountain backdrop. The stag had to wear it for the whole weekend as a badge of shame. Every stag do the name and date of the wedding would be added on the back. 

It looked just like the t shirt for the new album.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Karembu said:

I saw Dire Straits back in 1992 - I was so disappointed.   I really love their music - the entire Brothers in Arms album, and Making Movies, and others - but they were SO DULL on stage.  It’s one of the worst concerts I’ve ever seen.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AMIW said:

and they don't have internet and cellphones in Sweden??? casual fan :rolleyes:

lady with a full life

not like me checking my phone in the middle of the night after a storm woke me up. Borris was making a hell of a racket so i thought what you guys were saying