Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

9 hours ago, or else... said:

Must say I am thrilled with the releases from Western stars so far. For me, There goes my miracle is just ok (like an above average WOAD song), but reading the early album reviews I think it will be one of a kind on the album but add nicely to the overall impact. 

The other two singles, however, are what really make me feel that Springsteen album excitement in a way that I’ve not felt in, well, more than 25 years. To me Hello sunshine and Tucson train hit home both musically and lyrically. And the production is great.

I’ve been longing for a return to more personal songwriting from Bruce for quite some time now, and for me Hello sunshine is such a return. If this would have been released in 1992 as the first single ahead of Human touch I would have been very satisfied indeed. Great mature lyrics, simple but nice melody, intimate and strong vocals and terrific production. For me, this is a song that will last.

Tucson train is classic sounding Bruce. I didn’t think I’d ever see him release a new song of this kind again. Happy I was wrong. Without the horns and strings - and with the main riff played on guitar instead - this would have fit perfectly on Tunnel of love or even Born in the USA. Good lyrics, too.

And the best thing is, I have a feeling we haven’t heard the best of Western stars yet. June 14 can’t come soon enough. 

Good post.  It's really nice to see the longtimers say that they haven't felt this excited by Bruce in a long time.  

• Like 3

Well . thought id just share bit of fun i had with @Junglelander....He played his cover of Hello Sunshine over Facebook for me and i then i sang along with him.........bear in mind he is in USA and im in UK ..so i recorded it on my phone and back to laptop so rather tinny sounding i admit........and yep messed up a bit on timing and words....but its one way i love to learn the words and feel Bruceys music..either singing along or learning it on guitar....kinda makes me feel the song even more and its meaning......anyway here goes...nothing to serious just a bit of fun between Brucey fans....

Voice_003_(3).m4a

• Like 2

20 hours ago, or else... said:

Must say I am thrilled with the releases from Western stars so far. For me, There goes my miracle is just ok (like an above average WOAD song), but reading the early album reviews I think it will be one of a kind on the album but add nicely to the overall impact. 

The other two singles, however, are what really make me feel that Springsteen album excitement in a way that I’ve not felt in, well, more than 25 years. To me Hello sunshine and Tucson train hit home both musically and lyrically. And the production is great.

I’ve been longing for a return to more personal songwriting from Bruce for quite some time now, and for me Hello sunshine is such a return. If this would have been released in 1992 as the first single ahead of Human touch I would have been very satisfied indeed. Great mature lyrics, simple but nice melody, intimate and strong vocals and terrific production. For me, this is a song that will last.

Tucson train is classic sounding Bruce. I didn’t think I’d ever see him release a new song of this kind again. Happy I was wrong. Without the horns and strings - and with the main riff played on guitar instead - this would have fit perfectly on Tunnel of love or even Born in the USA. Good lyrics, too.

And the best thing is, I have a feeling we haven’t heard the best of Western stars yet. June 14 can’t come soon enough. 

I'm in the same mood...

according to the 3 songs I heard, think the album seems to be the fruit of a real coherent project, not addition of differents seperates works...

• Like 1

So far I'm more than pleased with the 3 songs I've heard so far. Really looking forward to this one. And with a feeling I've hadn't had in quite some years. I read many mixed reviews so far, over here and there, understandable also. But hey, this man isn't going on 25 anymore, so I gather it's like taking the ride along his new songs and consider the fact that fans also have grown older. And yeah, I really dig the Glenn Campbell songs from my own youth. For now my intuition says YES, this is going to be a great album. And succesfull or not, speaking of album sales, I really can't be bothered. And I think Bruce also can't be. Furthermore, I tend to believe that we, European fans, are somewhat more adventurous when it comes to different music from Bruce, history surely hasn't proven me wrong. Think Seeger Sessions e.g. A far greater succes in Europe than in the USoA. Sit down and njoy this albun. 

• Like 6

I personally love all the new releases and to be fair most musicians retire once they reach a certain age and have the money in the bank and leave their fans with nothing whereas Bruce is still giving us a piece of himself and doing what he loves the most ..which i am so grateful for. Being a latecomer to enjoying his music i was worried there may not be anything more to come and regret that i missed out on all the excitement in the past of new releases despite it being fun to catch up on everything now...so  Thankyou Bruce!!! Hopefully there will be a tour as well so even if i can get to see him just once i will die a happy lady knowing my dream was fullfilled and i wasnt too late:)!

• Like 5

On 6/2/2019 at 2:23 AM, Redheadedgirl said:

Well . thought id just share bit of fun i had with @Junglelander....He played his cover of Hello Sunshine over Facebook for me and i then i sang along with him.........bear in mind he is in USA and im in UK ..so i recorded it on my phone and back to laptop so rather tinny sounding i admit........and yep messed up a bit on timing and words....but its one way i love to learn the words and feel Bruceys music..either singing along or learning it on guitar....kinda makes me feel the song even more and its meaning......anyway here goes...nothing to serious just a bit of fun between Brucey fans....

Voice_003_(3).m4a 2.84 MB · 29 downloads

That's brilliant. It's like when Phil Collins played Wembley and wherever it was in the US, on Live Aid day.   

6 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Can't believe they didn't reference Nebraska as one of his best solo albums, but for some reason mentioned Lucky Town.

It reads as though it means to say Nebraska but somehow got mixed up.

More offers on the website. 

If you preorder with them (as opposed to, say, supporting an independent record store) you can have the opportunity to win a 'hand numbered' (!), 'limited edition' (!) 'acetate' of the album by being entered into a raffle. 

30 minutes ago, carlo_milan said:

I'd bet that it will leak by the end of this week.

I will struggle to wait listening to it until I have the physical copy in my hands.

I agree, be surprised if it didn’t appear by Friday at the latest but I guess time will tell

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

More offers on the website. 

If you preorder with them (as opposed to, say, supporting an independent record store) you can have the opportunity to win a 'hand numbered' (!), 'limited edition' (!) 'acetate' of the album by being entered into a raffle. 

And if you read the fine print, you can even enter without making a purchase. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Redheadedgirl said:

was he out of tune and forgot the words too :lol:

I must be misremembering Live Aid. I vividly remember a painful trainwreck on "Stairway to Heaven," and certainly ol' Phil contributed to that, but far more blame can be laid at the feet of a (not his fault) hoarse Robert Plant and a (definitely his fault) stoned and out of tune Jimmy Page. Otherwise, Collins performed solo, with Sting and Eric Clapton, and I don't recall any issues with his performances? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kburke said:

And if you read the fine print, you can even enter without making a purchase. 

Fair enough.  No indication of it on the marquee headline on FB.  That's the trouble with small print.

Didn't click on the link because I don't buy from his site.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, Born To Walk said:

Things get better. The price on Amazon has dropped :)

From £9.99 to (drum-roll) £9.98 :wacko:

Price now tumbling out of control down to £9.89

I need to decide what I can spend the saving on!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LoverInTheCold said:

Has there been any talk of solo tour dates in conjunction with WS? Or is it full steam ahead to 2020 tour?

The full WS tour date itinerary has already been emailed to the Verified Fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2