Greasy Lake Community

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

woke up - got kids to school and wife to work.  Went upstairs to my home office to work with Western Stars first listen via Spotify on my Sonos speaker. Nice to start my day!! It's been a long time with the thrills of a real new Springsteen album. As that is Wrecking Ball (High Hopes was just a compilation of songs lying around).

I did a pre-order of the CD with my local Nijmegen music store (Kroese for dutch insiders - support your local record store to keep them alive!!!) . Think it arrived already yesterday. But I learned that my 7yr old daughter was already craving for weeks to give the new Broes Spingstien album to me for fathers day. So we got that arranged, don't want to spoil that fun for my daughter  and I will be so surprised sunday morning 

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

These are only the lies you've told me

These are only the lies you've told me

My heart, brain and soul are singing.

Bless you, oh great Bruceness.

(And I'm stone cold sober if anyone thinks I'm sounding giddy)

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to Amazon Music, i did not have to wait for the CD i ordered to reach me. In First listen, a great album and at the moment my early favourites are: Hello Sunshine, Tucson Train, Stones, Western Stars and Moonlight Motel

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I've put the album on my iphone too now. It just sounds SO SO SO great. I am really loving this album!! It's so different, but so beautifully crafted, mesmerizing really!! 

10/10 in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 6/13/2019 at 2:27 AM, Jerseyfornia said:

Two songs in on the first listen and I was thinking, "this isn't what I was expecting at all, even though it sounds exactly as it has been described."

I agree 100%. I haven't listened to all the songs yet, but what I've heard so far is incredible! I would never have thought he'd make a record like this. So far, my favorites are the title track and Chasin' Wild Horses. And Stones - just wow! 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wout said:

Man I would really like him to tour with this record. With David, Patti, the strings... I would prefer that over an ESB tour actually. 

I was thinking there should at least be a one-off televised performance and an eventual DVD release.

C'mon, Bruce, I know you held on to Netflix's phone number.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

4 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

These are the posters from last night. Pretty big and would look nice framed 

I have a spare if anyone’s interested

9B9E8213-4032-45EF-9652-E2B0991C8F7F.thumb.jpeg.afee0297f86910dc201fcdc5b61e9f9d.jpeg

(sorry the brightness is a bit weird)

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! 

(Just like you)

(sorry I had to say it! :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaHoe said:

woke up - got kids to school and wife to work.  Went upstairs to my home office to work with Western Stars first listen via Spotify on my Sonos speaker. Nice to start my day!! It's been a long time with the thrills of a real new Springsteen album. As that is Wrecking Ball (High Hopes was just a compilation of songs lying around).

I did a pre-order of the CD with my local Nijmegen music store (Kroese for dutch insiders - support your local record store to keep them alive!!!) . Think it arrived already yesterday. But I learned that my 7yr old daughter was already craving for weeks to give the new Broes Spingstien album to me for fathers day. So we got that arranged, don't want to spoil that fun for my daughter  and I will be so surprised sunday morning 

good lord Father's day

just as well your daughter wasn't born in NZ

its in September :lol:

anyway thats lovelly of your daughter to think of you 

• Like 1

I have listened to album twice now and am pleased that positive reviews have not been misplaced. Only song I dont like is Somewhere North of Nashville, as a poster said up thread the vocal on that song is awful and does not fit the rest of the album.  Standouts for me from the non singles are the title track, The Wayfarer and Stones.  Just what I needed to take away the damp and cold of this past week. looking to forward to paying on my record player tonight whilst supping my JD.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wout said:

Man I would really like him to tour with this record. With David, Patti, the strings... I would prefer that over an ESB tour actually. 

Exactly. Or perhaps with the symphonic orchestra - fill all those venues, which are usually reserved for classical music. Operas, theaters... 

Imagine Bruce Springsteen performing at Sydney Opera,  Scala in Milano...

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

So invariably I could not wait for my vinyl order and did a spotify listen on the drive to work. 

There is not much cause to be excited anymore but the anticipation kept me waking in the night and it was beautiful to be transported off into another world as I drove. I normally drive as fast as i can to work but today I took every opportunity to get caught at the red lights and meander my way in.

On first listen I am so pleased the Bruce decided to indulge himself and go in this direction. The album feels like you are hearing REAL music (the first time since Devils and Dust/sessions).

My first impression is that the album starts boldly, I LOVED hitch hiking and the youthful optimism it imbued, I really liked Wayfarer. Its funny how, because the single has been out a while, no one is commenting on how amazing Tucson train is. 

Westnen stars, on first listen, feels like it will be a sublime classic. There is a real wry sense of knowing in the song too... I love the juxtaposition of modern shit culture (chihuahua's, credits cards etc.) with modern cowboys trying to uphold tradition and dignity.

I really liked sleepy Joe's.... instant reaction was that i wish it was longer (that goes for many of the songs actually, which feel as though they end prematurely/abruptly). I also feel that it should have come later in the album as a little pick me up.

Upon first listen, I felt that the album loses its way a little after the opening 5 songs; I felt that 'Drive fast' was a missed opportunity for a great song... the lyrics could have been delivered with a little more zip/poetry (but of course I will give it more listens.

I enjoyed chasing wild horses... It certainly has big echoes  of 'my own worst enemy' and deals with similar themes. The analogy/imagery is fantastic.

I loved that Bruce let himself truly croon for the first time ever on Sundown, the results are better than his half-crooned songs on the likes of WOAD.

I need to listen to stones again as many people seem to have been very positive about it but it did not do much on first listen, similar to north of Nashville which felt like an incomplete D&D outtake.

Moonlight motel was wonderful and a painfully beautiful finish, almost as though a goodbye of some sorts (although we have said that many times in recent years) 

• Like 2

Just pulled up outside my house on my way back from London and I could see my parcel from Badlands through the gate!! (Thanks to Royal Mail for leaving it in plain view) 

photos incoming..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wout said:

Those first two tracks!!!!

And how about Sundown!! 

:wub::wub:

I'm totally obsessed with Hitch Hikin'...  I can't stop playing it.

I'm riding high on top of the world... and will be for a long time!

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1