BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

30 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Not trailing back through this thread to read everyone's reviews

Don't worry, you'll be able to find mine in a thread that I'm bound to be bumping constantly :lol:

• Like 1

Has anyone had trouble dowmloading the album via the voucher with the vinyl?

8 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Weird to think now that while some of us on here were panicking and asking "has he got writer's block?" / "has he lost his knack for songwriting?" over the last couple of years, Bruce and Mr Landau were busy laughing themselves to the fuckin' bank. 

Though to be fair he admitted himself he suffered from it for a while.  I'm sure most do on and off throughout their careers. 

Good day today.  Love how the album comes out on a Friday when release dates used to be Tuesdays - Fridays work for me.

I can do whatever I want tonight without anything else on my mind whatsoever.  

• Like 1

Just now, Promise61 said:

Has anyone had trouble dowmloading the album via the voucher with the vinyl?

@jukebox said that it took him a few tries before it worked 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I've heard a couple more on YT - wasn't grabbed by the Wild \horses one but Stones is lovely.

I think you'll like it, Lorraine, very nice.

Don't wait for me, Eileen :rolleyes: So hacked off, I am! (Some people know this already!).  I had a bad day at work, walked my socks off to Westfield (dislike that place so much anyway) only to find that HMV isn't there any more! My feet were hurting by the time I traipsed to the station to get home. I had such a lovely plan too ... it involved a glass of wine and a sofa all to myself.  

I jolly well still have the wine - and the sofa ... and I bought myself a curry (sad substitute for Bruce, but what are ya gonna do?).

Amazon will get my money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I walked along to Waterstones to see if they had the cd cos I'd gone there last time there was Bruce I interest.

Yes, Eileen, that's cos he had a book out. Hmmmm …

Good to read that you're back at work. I'm packing in my voluntary stuff in a couple of weeks' time … tired of it now, too much running for buses.

18 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I jolly well still have the wine

Capture.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

My copy has shipped they are saying I will receive  it by 8pm, which is better than the 11pm of yesterday. 

I wasn't too worried as I am at work and it would drive me crazy to think it was sitting in my mailbox while I was working.

Then it occurred to me, I don''t actually have a CD player. I have a CD drive that I could hook up to my laptop, assuming I could find the drive. 

So, I went ahead and bought the thing off iTunes. It has just finished downloading now, so I will be off to enjoy it on my lunch hour. :)

a REAL fan would still have a cassette player and a 8 track

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I walked along to Waterstones to see if they had the cd cos I'd gone there last time there was Bruce I interest.

Yes, Eileen, that's cos he had a book out. Hmmmm …

Good to read that you're back at work. I'm packing in my voluntary stuff in a couple of weeks' time … tired of it now, too much running for buses.

Strangely enough, I went into Waterstones this evening too - that's who told me that HMV had closed.  I also went into the massive WH Smith, thinking they sold music.  I am really out of touch!

(Been back at work since April, Eileen).  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Don't wait for me, Eileen :rolleyes: So hacked off, I am! (Some people know this already!).  I had a bad day at work, walked my socks off to Westfield (dislike that place so much anyway) only to find that HMV isn't there any more! My feet were hurting by the time I traipsed to the station to get home. I had such a lovely plan too ... it involved a glass of wine and a sofa all to myself.  

I jolly well still have the wine - and the sofa ... and I bought myself a curry (sad substitute for Bruce, but what are ya gonna do?).

Amazon will get my money.

I've put the Western Stars video on loop on YouTube and settled down with a beer or too. This song is everything that Brucie was, is, or ever will be to me. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Now  we've all bought it (well, most of us), when are they going to announce the 'deluxe' version that includes the documentary DVD?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

The cd arrived this afternoon and I've listened to it on headphones by myself - yup, it sounds great, and that includes Bruce's voices, the music, the 'soundscapes', the works. I've played it twice in a row to soak it in.

Moonlight Motel is such a great closing number, isn't it? Beautiful work.

Some lovely evocative steel guitar (I'm not sure of the difference between 'lap' and 'pedal' in terms of sounds produced but it all sounds really good to me!) on a few of the tracks, to tug on the heartstrings.

It would be fantastic to hear at least some of these songs performed live.

• Like 5

The first song I ever heard by Bruce Springsteen changed my life’s trajectory, though I didn’t know it at the time. I was in high school, listening to the fm station at a friend’s house and a story about Spanish Johnny and his Jane stopped me in my tracks, the haunting and soulful music combining with the most drenchingly romantic scenes of the streets took me to a place I never wanted to leave.

It’s been more than 40 years and I still want to visit and remember—but I don’t know if I’d be willing to live there now.

When Devils and Dust came out, I thought of it as an album of short stories. And I admired it more than I wanted to listen to it, though, as with all of Bruce’s music, the more I listened, the more I found to both admire and enjoy.

This new album is trying the souls of a number of hardcore Bruce fans that I know. But for any number of reasons, I am embracing it wholly, from its start, even though I know it’s not the old Bruce that thrilled me down to my toes. He’s older, I’m older, and while I don’t think it’s “easy listening” (despite Bruce’s new (and warmly lovely) crooning and non-rocking approach), it’s easy for me to listen to it. Easier than D&D, or some other albums (I’m looking at you, Seeger Sessions, but not just the Seeger Sessions.)

I appreciate that these are all songs WRITTEN BY BRUCE. I don’t usually get epiphanies when I listen to songs by other people, but I always get a few with Bruce’s lyrics.

Many reviews are out, so I decided I’d just address the album as the series of connected vignettes that it is:

Hitch Hikin starts off the journey—someone who allows the fates to direct him rather than commit to a more traditional life trajectory. It’s a theme that is repeated throughout the album—what happens when you don’t make a choice and take the actions to see it through on a long-term basis.  Choosing velocity (“man, she sure can fly”) over settling.

The Wayfarer continues on that theme:

Some find peace here on the sweet streets, the sweet streets of home

Where kindness falls and your heart calls for a permanent place of your own

But not the wayfarer: he “drifts from town to town,” his “wheels are spinning round and round.”

Tuscon Train is a variation on the theme. Once the Hitch Hikin Wayfarer gave his heart, but the road beckoned and now he’s hoping to get his miracle back (yes, I’m skipping ahead). He’s hoping he can prove—to himself and her—that he can change.

Are the repeating sounds of the train coming a hopeful promise of relationship velocity or an indication that we can’t stop repeating our patterns, even if they are self-harming and negate hard-won wisdom?

Western Stars - the title track includea a metaphor that elicits mockery in the ranks (“A coyote with someone’s Chihuahua in its teeth” is akin to that dancing catfish in The Rising), but is our hitch-hiking wayfarer recognizing his needs and who he is and who he might have been, if he weren’t who he is today. This one clearly represents someone who is on the side closer to death than one who has youthful—or even middle aged—aspirations. What truly glitters at the end? Isn’t that a question many of us wrestle with today, those of us who have traveled with the quintessentially fiery and inspiring performer, Bruce Springsteen, for decades?

When we “cross the wire,’ which “old ways” characterize us, for better or for worse?

Sleepy Joe’s Cafe - Joe and Amy (like Bruce and Patti?) provide the wayfarers with a place to live, life, dance, and love. Which patron is the most free—or could it be the loving hosts that truly enjoy something richer, a different kind of freedom.

Drive Fast (The Stuntman) has gotten a lot of comparisons to The Wrestler, but this seems more initially accessible musically. The singer of this one also seems akin to the protagonist of Western Stars. He may well have been a stuntman for John Wayne, as well, only he was the chihuahua to the B movie’s actress’ coyote.

Maybe we’re all somebody’s chihuahua, chasin’ . . .

Chasin’ Wild Horses - Joe Roberts’ brother makes a reappearance, after Joe lets him escape over the state line. It doesn’t make geographical sense, but we’re talking eternal verities here.

Bro still dreams of Maria. She must have been quite a woman.

Wildness leads to homelessness . . . sometimes.

Sundown - This one’s quickly becoming a favorite. Hope for reconnection. Sometimes it’s all you can do, hope. And keep going.

You stop running, you keep going, and you hope for what you’ve (permanently or temporarily) lost. ISF

Somewhere North of Nashville - Hollywood isn’t the only city of broken dreams. Sometimes you want to be a rock and roll star (or EVERYTHING). What if you give up love for glory and get neither?

Stones - You can give up glory for love, and still get fucked. Bleakness prevails when you put your faith in the wrong person. Even if you stay with that person, the vessel is patched, but you can still see and feel the broken parts. And when they cut you, the blood is there, even when it dries.

There Goes My Miracle - But sometimes you are the wrong person. And you lose the most precious of gems. There are some nods to classic oldies on this album. Sleepy Joe’s Cafe and There Goes My Miracle evoke two Lieber/Stoller classics featured in Smokey Joe’s Cafe, the play: the play’s title and “There Goes My Baby.”

Hello Sunshine - Wherein our hitch hikin’ wayfarer finally realizes what is his alchemical gold and what is just some nasty nigredo. His mental health demands the healthiest choices for HIM.

The thing about this album of vignettes is strongly seen in terms of track order/pacing. The ending track is what Bruce wants to leave us with.

Moonlight Motel - Some dreams last. Perhaps they’re the worse for wear, but they’re real:
“It's better to have loved, yeah, it's better to have loved.” And they’re worth backtracking for.

Remember the spiel Bruce used to share in concert. His father wanted him to be a lawyer. Nah.

But his mom, his lodestar, wanted him to be an author.

Bruce wanted everything.

I think he pretty much got it in these last few years.

• Like 4

It's a bit like the Tom Joad album with loners instead of dead Mexicans. Oh, and with proper tunes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

After listening to the album a couple of times already at work, right now, my favorite song from the album is Western Stars....love everything about it.  Might change when I listen tonight with no distractions.

• Like 3

Got the CD this morning and listened to it through twice now.

An absolutely glorious album. Songs are wonderful and beautifully arranged. Bruce's voice has never sounded better either and the production is fabulous. So many highlights from the record, hard to say which is my favourite although Chasing Wild Horses, Western Stars, Hello Sunshine and The Wayfarer are right up there and Moonlight Motel is gorgeous. I also love Sleepy Joe's Cafe and Somewhere North of Nashville. The only records this one can be compared with are his solo records, and to me Western Stars stands comparison with previous masterpieces like Nebraska, Tunnel of Love and The Ghost of Tom Joad.

A once in a century talent is our man.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

A once in a century talent is our man.

Amen my brother!

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Now  we've all bought it (well, most of us), when are they going to announce the 'deluxe' version that includes the documentary DVD?

mine still in Roswell - hasn't moved in several hours I'm sending in

mulder-and-scully2016.jpg

theya re trying to figure out the amazon routing algorithm

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Strangely enough, I went into Waterstones this evening too - that's who told me that HMV had closed.  I also went into the massive WH Smith, thinking they sold music.  I am really out of touch!

(Been back at work since April, Eileen).  

I went in to W H Smith, too … they stopped selling music (properly) ages ago.

I'm out of the loop - this is the most I've chatted on a thread for ages. Can't think why I'm so garrulous just now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

I went in to W H Smith, too

Did you try Woolworths?

Oh, hang on ......

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

Did you try Woolworths?

Oh, hang on ......

They would have had it.

Or I may have looked out for the Embassy version. ;)

• Like 2

So can somebody tell me when this was all recorded,was it 2011ish,were the videos recorded at that time?

It certainly feels like WOAD part 2 vocally though not musically.

Having listened to the album,I can't say i'm over impressed on first listen,to me it's Western Stars + some other songs,I've listened to that song about 4 times so far,it has the possibility of being a top 20 Bruce song.

The strings are too much in parts.

Sleepy Joe has something in it that I can't pin down,somebody mentioned The Mavericks which is possible,I'll have to listen to it again.

Having a daughter who rides surely Bruce should know by now that it's pronounced horse not orse.

Maybe it'll grow on me on further listening,Tucson Train is good but beyond that I'm struggling at the moment.

3 hours ago, Silvia said:

He waited for us to grow old enough to really appreciate it? :P

No. The reason is probably that the album’s overall message can be synthesized in the opening line of ´Mother’s little helper’. ;)

• Like 1