BobbyJames

NEW ALBUM: Western Stars - June 14

2 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Getting old only really sucks if your health fails I think. My mum made it to 98 and was in excellent health, mentally and physically until 95. I am hoping for the same, but I need it for both of us.

On a lighter note, we have got to the bottom of the Badlands problem. As I suspected, Mr J is responsible!! He over complicated it by saying we were on holiday, so they decided not to ship until today. However, guaranteed delivery tomorrow. I could have driven over today, but that seemed a little unnecessary.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions 

Gary once sent back my Bruce ticket without remembering who the courier was becsuse it was addressed to my workmate but at our adress 

it was one of those ticket buying exercises where it took a village 

I can totally hear Dionne Warwick singing Wayfarer.

I hear B.J. Thomas in this album, too.

If I could be pressed for one complaint about the album, I'd say there should have been at least a little harmonica.

• Like 5

i want Soozie, Nils and Charlie to go.on tour with Bruce. ive been inspired by Nashville 

maybe a french horn player too.:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Jerseyfornia said:

If I could be pressed for one complaint about the album, I'd say there should have been at least a little harmonica.

yes 

your right

on hitch hiking or moonlight motel just becsuse they are the bookends

A far as the debates whether this is a country record or not, I don't believe it is. It's western music. Everyone says country music nowadays, but we used to call it Country & Western. Country was the downhome music about midwestern and southern life and western was the cowboy music. 

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Something else that has emerged from this record is a distinct lack of joy and contentment in the 'stories'.  

It's a grim read.

Def not country music (although, Sleepy Joe's Cafe could easily be The Mavericks).  He's been well covered by Country artists over the years and I dare say some more will take on some of these WS tracks.

Someone called this album, 'Grand Canyon music'. I like that. The strings (swoon, again) give it that wide open, epic feel.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

A far as the debates whether this is a country record or not, I don't believe it is. It's western music. Everyone says country music nowadays, but we used to call it Country & Western. Country was the downhome music about midwestern and southern life and western was the cowboy music. 

That's so funny.

Exact conversation I was having with the OH last night and he quoted this scene saying this record is definitely western.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Def not country music (although, Sleepy Joe's Cafe could easily be The Mavericks).  He's been well covered by Country artists over the years and I dare say some more will take on some of these WS tracks. 

Someone called this album, 'Grand Canyon music'. I like that. The strings (swoon, again) give it that wide open, epic feel.

Definitely got The Mavericks vibe I was saying that to my office this morning of people that couldn't care less!!:(

• Like 1

It seems that the dislike for "There Goes My Miracle" has suddenly vanished

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Probably because it was heard in isolation of the album initially. In the context of the album I’d imagine very few would skip it. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I'm probably on my own here, but I don't find Moonlight Motel at all grim.  It's bittersweet, but it's about remembered happiness.

This to me is a widower reminiscing after a long and happy marriage.
I think he and his wife were teenage sweethearts.  Perhaps their parents didn't approve, or they had no privacy at home, so occasionally they treated themselves to an afternoon in a cheap motel.  The deskman sounds sympathetic - maybe he didn't charge them full rate.

They got married - perhaps she because was pregnant like Mary in The River.  "Well then it's bills and kids and kids and bills" .
They were happy!  Yes, joy and contentment!
He loses her not through his mistakes, but to death. But "it's better to have loved, yeah it's better to have loved".

Bittersweet.  Happy memories and being thankful for what he's had while sad over what he's lost.

Something makes me feel like we are toasting and saying goodbye to Mary (of dress sways/waves fame) in that Motel carpark

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, red headed woman said:

Definitely got The Mavericks vibe I was saying that to my office this morning of people that couldn't care less!!:(

That’s what we’re for!  :) 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

33 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I hated the single and was really worried we were in for WOAD #2..... But I love the song on the album.... fits perfectly within its context.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I'm probably on my own here, but I don't find Moonlight Motel at all grim.  It's bittersweet, but it's about remembered happiness.

This to me is a widower reminiscing after a long and happy marriage.
I think he and his wife were teenage sweethearts.  Perhaps their parents didn't approve, or they had no privacy at home, so occasionally they treated themselves to an afternoon in a cheap motel.  The deskman sounds sympathetic - maybe he didn't charge them full rate.

They got married - perhaps she because was pregnant like Mary in The River.  "Well then it's bills and kids and kids and bills" .
They were happy!  Yes, joy and contentment!
He loses her not through his mistakes, but to death. But "it's better to have loved, yeah it's better to have loved".

Bittersweet.  Happy memories and being thankful for what he's had while sad over what he's lost.

Agree 100%!  

35 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Probably because it was heard in isolation of the album initially. In the context of the album I’d imagine very few would skip it. 

14 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I hated the single and was really worried we were in for WOAD #2..... But I love the song on the album.... fits perfectly within its context.

Context is everything.

I liked all three songs which came out early but I almost wish they hadn't been released, if that makes any kind of sense, because hearing the album play through from beginning to end is so perfect. I don't want to skip any tracks and I only want to play it when I know I can listen all the way through. No couple of tracks on the way to Tesco's.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

When people ask me what music I listen to, I tell them 'both kinds... Bruce and Springsteen.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Agree 100%!  

I would be inclined to agree.

And whilst I do love the song, I find it to be slightly contrived/forced. For example, everyone loved 'if we were vampires' on the last Isbell record but I felt that it was self conscious/manufactured. MM doesn't feel quite that way to me but I find chasing wild horses and stones to be more emotional and heartfelt.

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I was thinking exactly this yesterday; I would describe this as a cowboy (western) album rather than country.

9 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I would be inclined to agree.

And whilst I do love the song, I find it to be slightly contrived/forced. For example, everyone loved 'if we were vampires' on the last Isbell record but I felt that it was self conscious/manufactured. MM doesn't feel quite that way to me but I find chasing wild horses and stones to be more emotional and heartfelt.

While I absolutely agreed with Rizla’s assessment, and do understand why others love it;  I’m in the minority in that MM is one of the ones that didn’t grab me at first (she says as she ducks and runs for cover!).  I didn’t dislike it or anything, I just didn’t feel what a lot of others have said they do. 

It’s definitely grown on me, but I too much prefer Chasing Wild Horses and Stones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

I went from yelling out loud, "Stop it Bruce, stop singing this way" to "Wow, I get it now"  

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ann Jones said:

Context is everything.

I liked all three songs which came out early but I almost wish they hadn't been released, if that makes any kind of sense, because hearing the album play through from beginning to end is so perfect. I don't want to skip any tracks and I only want to play it when I know I can listen all the way through. No couple of tracks on the way to Tesco's.

I listened to Hello Sunshine three times (I was on a vacation in Greece so busy) and then decided not to listen to anything else until the CD arrived. I hadn't done that in awhile but missed that feeling of opening a new album and listening to it as a whole that first time.

• Bruuuuce! 1