Greasy Lake Community

The National - I am Easy to Find

Growin' Up

So where would one start with this band?  

I know nothing about them at all, much to my own personal shame I probably expect! 

I look forward to hints , suggestions, directions and probably some disagreements too! :D

26 minutes ago, ukjohnney said:

I know nothing about them at all, much to my own personal shame I probably expect! 

I look forward to hints , suggestions, directions and probably some disagreements too! :D

That's a tough one (the where to start part).

I'd probably say "Boxer" for a kick off......kind of mid-era.

From there, jump back to "Alligator" ( still my favourite....just about).

Then forward to "High Violet" on which is probably my favourite track "Vanderlyle cry-baby geeks".

Then on, I'd say go back to the start and do the remaining albums in chronological order, not forgetting about "The Cherry Tree EP" and "The Virginia EP".

A couple of wee gems.

There's a few (maybe three? I'd need to check) live download only jobs kicking about as well, when I get my completist head on I'll get onto them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ukjohnney said:

Their previous one is my favourite.  The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness.   Phenomenal 

Closely followed by Trouble will Find Me and Boxer. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, ukjohnney said:

Start with Boxer and move forward. 

But you will also need Mr. November and Abel from Alligator album.

My favorite tune is Mistaken for Strangers  

A close second

• Thanks 1

To go with their Manchester gig in July, I grabbed a ticket for their Leeds gig in December yesterday. I actually really dislike the arena there but it's the only one I can do due to work. 

Not managed to hear the new one yet, but the reviews sound incredible. Plannig to sit down this evening and give it the attention it deserves. 

Their best for me are Trouble Will Find Me and High Violet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So enjoying a few liveners in the West End of Glasgow before heading to the Kelvingrove Bandstand to see one of the best band around.

Really looking forward to this. The thunderstorms have no materialised........yet.

Looking at setlistfm "Vanderlyle......" seems to be back as set closer.

I'm looking for "Not in Kansas" from the new record, beyond that, we'll go with what we get.

It's been a long journey (all trains cancelled out of Inverness due to flooding at Carrbridge, made it a bit John Candy/Steve Martin) but here with beer and going to see The National.

Does it get any better? (Other than Bruce.....)

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

So enjoying a few liveners in the West End of Glasgow before heading to the Kelvingrove Bandstand to see one of the best band around.

Really looking forward to this. The thunderstorms have no materialised........yet.

Looking at setlistfm "Vanderlyle......" seems to be back as set closer.

I'm looking for "Not in Kansas" from the new record, beyond that, we'll go with what we get.

It's been a long journey (all trains cancelled out of Inverness due to flooding at Carrbridge, made it a bit John Candy/Steve Martin) but here with beer and going to see The National.

Does it get any better? (Other than Bruce.....)

Enjoy your gig.

Pics?