micktonerdeaf

Support Lttle Steven & the Disciples of Soul ... great at rock 'n' soul preaching and the closest to Wrecking Ball tour you'll get

Forget the old Magic days, Sorcery lives now.  Forget Bonjour Sunshine, it's the Summer of Sorcery now ...

Since I think noone has given Steve a thread for the European leg of his Disciples of Soul tour, I'll start one for comments - I did one two years ago for the tour and loved the Disciples' concert at London's Roundhouse.

I think I can justify it on The Circuit given Steve's back history with Bruce and many of his Disciples, some on the WB tour.

The gigs kick off on 16 May in Liverpool and end in Paris on 23 June.

The album Summer of Sorcery is hitting the shops six weeks ahead of the other one about Shooting Stars or something.   Psychedelia summer against country and western.

We hope to catch Steve in Kentish Town in London - or even Barcelona if time and luck allow.

Apologies for any errors above.

• Like 3

Saw Steve last May. I was in the front row center. I probably think about that night ever day. One of the best concerts I have seen. I don't know if it was better than any Bruce show, but the free dinner, free tickets, and best seat in the house make it the best overall concert experience I have had. And I have been up on the stage for other bands and with free tickets at one, but this was in the top 1%=

Got my tickets for the Cardiff show and picking up the album later.

What with the Bob tsunami and Bruce record it could be a fine and dandy summer.

Always a great show when Steve plays and I just finished listening to the new album. It's great.

• Like 1

Inspired by this thread just checked out tickets for the Liverpool gig. £42!!!! for the Academy!

Can he really justify that price? £30 and I might have bitten but too steep for me.

Just on first listen on Spotify while waiting for Amazon to rock up with the CD.

Nice vibe, typically great arrangement (insofar as the limitations of the stream allow you to tell)  perhaps not with the variety of Soulfire - which is perhaps to be understood given the vast time and artist range those songs covered - but real smile inducing music.

Looking forward to seeing him again in 2 weeks time. Spent the last time shaking my head at the surprise of it all, and wondering if I'd have ever convinced my younger self,who was either still at school or living nowhere near where he played in the 80's incarnation, that all I had to do was wait until my early 50's and I WOULD hear "Out of the Darkness" played live one day.

Suppose expecting "Undefeated" is an ask too far...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry42 said:

Inspired by this thread just checked out tickets for the Liverpool gig. £42!!!! for the Academy!

Can he really justify that price? £30 and I might have bitten but too steep for me.

Yes!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry42 said:

You're getting a LOT of musicians for your money.  Excellent ones too.

• Like 3

Yes, Steve has  about 14 singers and musicians to pay - and he's not getting Arena crowds.  He's got all the road crew etc to fund too.

Anyone who waits until close to gigs might well buy cheaper, depending on supply and demand, buying from an agency.

Are many bands playing this level of gig less expensive?  My wife and one of my sons paid about the same to see First Aid Kit at the Brixton Academy. 

• Like 1

I don't think the tickets are over priced. I will be giving this a miss, but it's nothing to do with the cost.

9 hours ago, thomam said:

Just on first listen on Spotify while waiting for Amazon to rock up with the CD.

Nice vibe, typically great arrangement (insofar as the limitations of the stream allow you to tell)  perhaps not with the variety of Soulfire - which is perhaps to be understood given the vast time and artist range those songs covered - but real smile inducing music.

Looking forward to seeing him again in 2 weeks time. Spent the last time shaking my head at the surprise of it all, and wondering if I'd have ever convinced my younger self,who was either still at school or living nowhere near where he played in the 80's incarnation, that all I had to do was wait until my early 50's and I WOULD hear "Out of the Darkness" played live one day.

Suppose expecting "Undefeated" is an ask too far...

I can confirm the 1983 show upstairs in the club above the Playhouse was pretty damn good! 

9 hours ago, Harry42 said:

As JF says, it's a great show, worth every penny and more. Just do it!

• Like 1

Wow !!

What a fantastic album.  In the spirit and intent of the album I listened to it the old fashioned way, up in the den, on vinyl, following along with the lyric sheet (and a little glass of something Scottish).

It's a joyous record.  Superb mix from Bob C.  It's loud, it's crystal clear.  It's essential.   At least half of this album is going to be sensational in concert.

Album of the year, so far.  Ed Manion wasn't wrong.

Watcha got, Boss?

• Like 2

The title track may very well be the greatest and mightiest thing he's ever written.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Caught him on the Soulfire tour and although I enjoyed the gig, I took a mate of mine, and his only criticism was that it went on a bit long. I must say his current Disciples of Soul are an incredibly talented group of musicians, if I hadnt broken my leg I'd catch him on this tour.

6 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Caught him on the Soulfire tour and although I enjoyed the gig, I took a mate of mine, and his only criticism was that it went on a bit long. I must say his current Disciples of Soul are an incredibly talented group of musicians, if I hadnt broken my leg I'd catch him on this tour.

Crawl there, goddamit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

The title track may very well be the greatest and mightiest thing he's ever written.

I agree. It's an incredible, beautiful song.

• Like 1

It's a mighty long way down rock'n'roll when pictures of cats and dogs get pinned on this forum and Steven fans are enthusing about a great new record and have to scratch around.  In some fashion.

:unsure:

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

It's a mighty long way down rock'n'roll when pictures of cats and dogs get pinned on this forum and Steven fans are enthusing about a great new record and have to scratch around.  In some fashion.

:unsure:

It's a great new album and a tour.  Pin it.  Let's feel the love.  God knows the guy is working hard enough to deserve it.

Taking Gin Kid #4 and his GF to the London gig later this month. They loved Southside a few weeks ago (although they were the youngest there 'by about 100 years' - sorry Cabby:D) and I'm sure they'll love this too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

following along with the lyric sheet

This might be a weird request, but could you post a picture of the lyrics sheet? I got the digital version and it doesn't come with any lyrics to speak of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lilbud said:

This might be a weird request, but could you post a picture of the lyrics sheet? I got the digital version and it doesn't come with any lyrics to speak of.

20190505_090217.jpg

20190505_090105.jpg

20190505_090246.jpg

20190505_090234.jpg

20190505_090150.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I support Mr. Van Zandt. I purchased his CDs NEW from Amazon (Soulful, Summer Of Sorcery). They're great. Any fan of Bruce or Southside Johnny will love these.

I might as well be a little naughty and create some wicked conjecture ...

So Bruce played three numbers with Steve on the first night of the next leg of the Disciples tour.

So the next Steve gig is the Paramount in Ashbury Park on 8 May.  Doesn't Bruce have some connections with the area?

So maybe Bruce's getting itchy feet post SOB-land and wants back on a tour, but is a tad nervous of being the band leader and of raucous, unwashed crowds.  So what chances of seeing him rock up in Ashbury Park?

So what are Jessica's riding gigs over the next few weeks?  If any are in Europe, maybe Bruce would like to check out ex-Beatle homes on 16 May before Steve plays at the O2 in the evening.

So Macca can't make it to gig with Steven in London on 24 May (he's playing in the USA), but maybe Bruce could fill in as a pretty VIP guest.

It's all way unlikely, but I just bought tickets for the Kentish Town gig in case they sell out soon for whatever reason.

1 minute ago, micktonerdeaf said:

I might as well be a little naughty and create some wicked conjecture ...

So Bruce played three numbers with Steve on the first night of the next leg of the Disciples tour.

So the next Steve gig is the Paramount in Ashbury Park on 8 May.  Doesn't Bruce have some connections with the area?

So maybe Bruce's getting itchy feet post SOB-land and wants back on a tour, but is a tad nervous of being the band leader and of raucous, unwashed crowds.  So what chances of seeing him rock up in Ashbury Park?

So what are Jessica's riding gigs over the next few weeks?  If any are in Europe, maybe Bruce would like to check out ex-Beatle homes on 16 May before Steve plays at the O2 in the evening.

So Macca can't make it to gig with Steven in London on 24 May (he's playing in the USA), but maybe Bruce could fill in as a pretty VIP guest.

It's all way unlikely, but I just bought tickets for the Kentish Town gig in case they sell out soon for whatever reason.

And, of course, Brucie has a new album coming out :D

• Like 1