micktonerdeaf

Support Lttle Steven & the Disciples of Soul ... great at rock 'n' soul preaching and the closest to Wrecking Ball tour you'll get

On 5/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, Ann Jones said:

Seeing as it seems to now be the thing to write off Bruce and consign him to that old people's home, I guess it is also ok for me to say that I did not enjoy the Little Steven show I saw last year, I don't like this album and I won't be seeing him again, unless he is with E Street. All just my opinions, of course and I am not expecting anyone to agree with me.

I get it - I thought that the new album was a bit weaker than Soulfire, but my god it turns up kicking and screaming live. 

• Like 1

Glasgow last night was a blast. Stevie's voice was fantastic and previously reported sound issues were non existent.

Men Without Women and Voice of America, two great albums, only combined to provide four songs in the Setlist, but the Summer of Sorcery tracks are great live, particularly the title. The SSJ homage was a nice touch "thanks to Southside for keeping my music out there, while I've been pretending to be a gangster for the past 20 years".

I thought show was better than 2017, and Stevie says they will be back, they always come back.

On to Willie Nile in Edinburgh tomorrow for another great night out.

• Like 5

*Adds "retweeted by Stevie" to CV*

Capture.JPG.d15c95e5c3a8f38476129d47244300ee.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 1:34 PM, Promise61 said:

And it was way too loud. 

If it's too loud, you're too old. ;)

No, I actually agree with you- I thought the show was a bit too loud when I saw Steve last. Though I did enjoy it.

9 hours ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

If there was a way to bottle the energy of the lovely backing ladies, I'd join yet another queue to get some of it! 

Agreed! They were fun to watch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, misty rain said:

If it's too loud, you're too old. ;)

No, I actually agree with you- I thought the show was a bit too loud when I saw Steve last. Though I did enjoy it.

Agreed! They were fun to watch.

Thanks for the warning folks. Sounds like I should make sure my ear plugs are in my pocket tonight. 

2 hours ago, Walker in the sun said:

Thanks for the warning folks. Sounds like I should make sure my ear plugs are in my pocket tonight. 

We'll await your review!

A couple of friends of ours (non Lakers) have already done Glasgee and Leeds.

Glowing reports. 

The excitement builds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, thomam said:

*Adds "retweeted by Stevie" to CV*

Capture.JPG.d15c95e5c3a8f38476129d47244300ee.JPG

Wait 'til he finds out you're one of Nigel Farage's pals...

• Haha 1

Well that was a real blast!! 

More later!   It was nice and loud though! 

• Like 3

Agreed - insanely good show, with a COMPLETELY new setlist. Loved the quip about playing 3 Van Zandt/Springsteen songs written for Southside cos Bruce needs the royalties now he's unemployed!

London tomorrow - bring it on. Incredibly tickets still available. Mrs D insisted I get her one after she saw my Soul Power Twist clip - outrageous!

IMG_1919.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JackUK said:

Last night show in Bristol was so great. It was my third time seeing Steve and it was the best I have ever seen him. Cannot believe how different the show was compared to the last time he was in Bristol, only a year and half ago. Not only with the new setlist but the overall feel and concept of the show. Even if you are not a huge fan of his new album, hearing the songs live are something else. The performance of the title track "Summer Of Sorcery" was sublime, certainly one of the many highlights of the evening. On a side note, Steve was very generous with his time for fans who waited after the gig to meet him. I was lucky to get the setlist signed and have a photo with him. Overall, a wonderful night.        

And real good to have the time to chat with you before & after the show. See you further on up the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackUK said:

Last night show in Bristol was so great. It was my third time seeing Steve and it was the best I have ever seen him. Cannot believe how different the show was compared to the last time he was in Bristol, only a year and half ago. Not only with the new setlist but the overall feel and concept of the show. Even if you are not a huge fan of his new album, hearing the songs live are something else. The performance of the title track "Summer Of Sorcery" was sublime, certainly one of the many highlights of the evening. On a side note, Steve was very generous with his time for fans who waited after the gig to meet him. I was lucky to get the setlist signed and have a photo with him. Overall, a wonderful night.        

Yeah I agree, jack says it all!! 

I looked but didn’t see you, glad you had a good night! 

This picture make me smile!  Even if it is sideways! 

E2AE43A1-C844-483C-85E6-246F40B52156.jpeg

• Like 2

Any show which features a song Gravity with the words "Terra Firma gonna burn ya!"  must be very ... educational.  I look forward to a fiery night of spiritual nourishment.

The spoken word bit where they hand the mike round all the band before the song started was brilliant.  

If you can go, do so, I am converted!  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Walker in the sun said:

And real good to have the time to chat with you before & after the show. See you further on up the road.

Brilliant to see that you use this forum! It was also good to speak to you and thanks so much for taking my picture with Steve, it turned out great. Enjoy tomorrow night and yes, I will see you further on up the road. Plus, I will listen to Lucinda Williams album "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road". 

5 hours ago, ukjohnney said:

Yeah I agree, jack says it all!! 

I looked but didn’t see you, glad you had a good night! 

This picture make me smile!  Even if it is sideways! 

E2AE43A1-C844-483C-85E6-246F40B52156.jpeg

I also looked for you but did not see you. I was on the front rail directly facing the backing singers. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the night and are now converted.  Yes, brilliant picture!  

"I want to get lost, In your forest of eternity, In your galaxy of humility, In your ballet of nobility, In your Springtime of fertility, In your Autumn of prosperity, In your Winter of philanthropy, In your Summer of Sorcery. " 

Now, that's the way to write a love song.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2

Once upon a time ... Steven was an intense, eyes-popping-with-anger, politics-driven musician.  There were strong elements of that mid-1980s time in his 2017 tour.  Some lectures still then and a lot of the older political numbers.

Last night in Kentish Town, London he kept the preaching to a minimum and became good-time, zany-sartorial Steven for most the show, which started with the musicians entering in affable camp style and performing Communion.  The show really was about giving the audience a good dancing time with about half of the set featuring the new album.  The last two numbers Sun City and Out Of The Darkness were joyful rather than anything dark.  

A friend commented it was a pretty old crowd (he's over 60, hypocrite) and it took a while for Steven to get a lot of we oldies moving our stiffening joints during the near seamless show.  About one in five were younger fans.

Steve is growing into his role of main singer and performer - and must delight in the freedom of choosing when to be number one solo guitarist.  He's getting more Bruce-like as he moves around the stage and feeds off one musician after the other. 

There was no Ed Manion, but I think he may have been responsible for many of the album's arrangements.   I was told Maureen does the choreography - a special round of applause for the three women back-up singers/dancers who never let up.

The slower-paced song Summer of Sorcery stood out as different and absorbing, with Steve strumming acoustic guitar at the start with the number building and building.  My favourite.

I'm not arguing with Steven's LONDON ROCKED on Twitter.

• Like 4

Is he including Saint Valentine's Day this time round?

Confess I don't know the single well.   Just listened - great delivery.   Not on Friday.  The set is very constant.  About 22 numbers - one variation at most?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Is he including Saint Valentine's Day this time round?

Not at the moment no, :(,  but it was still great! 

• Like 1

I saw Steve last night and it was a lot of fun.

I will be honest and say wasn't too sure about the new album ..I did like some of the songs because I had a feeling would sound good live and glad to say they did.

Communion .. a mess of a song but a great opener.

Love again .. love it!

Summer of Sorcery again really like this one.

No Saint Valentines day Eileen.

No Until the Good is Gone which I always love to hear :(

Oh and I am sure Ed Manion was there playing sax in front me unless I was imaging things and the girls are great as always and never stop..

Overall any time Steve is in town I'm there :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Excuse me while I kick-start my day … need the cobwebs shifted …

• Like 2