micktonerdeaf

Support Lttle Steven & the Disciples of Soul ... great at rock 'n' soul preaching and the closest to Wrecking Ball tour you'll get

Saw Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul many years ago at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Easily the loudest most deafening gig I have ever been at and I didn't enjoy it at all. Fair play to those who like his stuff though. Hope they enjoy these current shows.

18 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Saw Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul many years ago at the Edinburgh Playhouse. Easily the loudest most deafening gig I have ever been at and I didn't enjoy it at all. Fair play to those who like his stuff though. Hope they enjoy these current shows.

I was at the front when they came to the Toon in the early 80s. What a night! LOUD!!! One of the best concerts I've been to.

• Like 1

His delivery of St Valentine's Day is a bit like Dylan 1966 in the verses  - think "Won't you come see me Queen Jane".   Loud E Street Band chorus with sax and horns.  Great number.  Wish he had performed it.  But it's great too that at his age he's touring with the centrepiece a genuine new album.

• Like 1

Here's a pic from Friday night at Kentish Town. Steve really was the ringmaster, pulling together the various elements on stage into a performance that was outstanding. Communion is a bit bonkers though!

image.jpeg

• Like 7

The first review of a gig by a daily British title?  Might just have been online.  David Pollock enthused about the Glasgow show in The Scotsman and gave it 4 stars.

IT’S a measure of the star power emanated by Bruce Springsteen that a person as uniquely magnetic as “Little” Steven Van Zandt should achieve fame largely through being his sideman. The famously expressive guitarist with Springsteen’s E-Street Band throughout their career together, Van Zandt appeared here with his own backing group the Disciples of Soul – an expansive ensemble featuring a five-piece horn section and a trio of energetic backing singers and dancers – and took on the role of frontperson all by himself.

While this wasn’t quite the arena spectacle Van Zandt’s used to in his other job, the still-dynamic 68-year-old – his bandana and flowing silk scarf a stylistic diversion from the look favoured by Silvio Dante, the mobster he played in The Sopranos – delivered a night which was still amongst the first order of old-school rock ‘n’ roll shows you’re likely to see these days.

Focusing on Summer of Sorcery, his first album of new music since 1999’s Born Again Savage, Van Zandt ventured into both his own more extensive back catalogue from the 1980s and a short tribute selection to fellow Springsteen-affiliate New Jerseyites Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes, including his own co-composition with Springsteen, Love on the Wrong Side of Town.

The unexpected versatility on display was impressive, from the flute solo which permeated Vortex, to the Caribbean-percussion tribute to West Side Story Bitter Fruit and the joyous main set finale Forever. There was also a sense that Van Zandt and Springsteen’s own political songwriting is in perfect alignment, with his I Am a Patriot dwelling on “the difference between true patriotism and blind nationalism,” and more than one moment of thrilling excitement as his familiar guitar style wound its way around a song.

• Like 1

Nice review, but it's a shame that Bruce gets mentioned four times.

Also, all three songs in that Southside 'tribute' are Springsteen co-writes.  Not just LOTWSOT.

Just sayin'.

Just bought a ticket to see Little Steven again in Cardiff at the end of August! Cannot stop thinking about the Bristol gig.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JackUK said:

Just bought a ticket to see Little Steven again in Cardiff at the end of August! Cannot stop thinking about the Bristol gig.

"You chose wisely" ;)

First time the DOS will have played in Wales.

• Like 1

Ooh, now you've got me wanting to look for a chance to see the show again:-)

"Summer of Sorcery" has so many songs that have burrowed into my brain and I really want to experience them Live once more. It's a tribute to Little Steven's genius with hooks and different styles and sounds that he and these Disciples of Soul have made the whole cd essential listening.

I also forgot to mention how, in the Glasgow show, "Suddenly You" was very affecting and poignant performed live, such that I couldn't bring myself to break the spell as the song wound to its conclusion. The band launched into the next number with the audience (as it seemed to me) feeling the same as me, mesmerised and caught up in the quiet and beautiful moment that "Suddenly You" provided. I do hope that Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul recognise that they've captured magic successfully.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Promise61 said:

"You chose wisely" ;)

First time the DOS will have played in Wales.

Thanks! That's interesting, I didn't know that. 

I'm very much looking forward to his return trip to Center Stage here in Atlanta.  Last year's show was really excellent.  He lets the musicians shine, and his guitar playing is very solid.  Much greater range than he typically displays in the the standard Springsteen concert.

• Like 3

looking forward to his gig in vienna september 2. this time at arena ... not national opera house as last time

• Like 1