Junglelander

New single “Thick as Thieves” out now!

Hey folks! This is the single @Jerseyfornia mentioned. It called “Thick as Thieves” and I’ll give you a little background on the origins of it. 

In 1999, I was in 9th grade. I was in art class conversing with a fellow classmate. It was during that conversation that I mentioned I played the guitar. The student, Zach Nash replied that he played drums and that I should come over and “Jam”. I wasn’t that good of a player but figured what the hell. 

It was the following Saturday when I showed up, plugged my out of tune guitar in, and played the first chord against his drums, it was...magic. We spent the entire afternoon playing the same two songs. The next weekend, we invited another classmate who we referred to as “Cal” over with his bass. From the first notes we played together, our duo became a trio. Every Saturday from then on was us stuffed in a room or the garage depending on the time of year. We played together. We are together. We laughed together. We cried together. 

We graduated in 2003. Cal and I went off to college while Zach stayed behind and worked odd jobs. A few years after that, Zach was in a car accident that left him paralyzed from the chest down. By this point I was living almost an hour from him but once a month, I drove to his house to visit with him for the day as did Cal. We would spend the day smoking, drinking beers, and laughing at all of the things we used to do.

I was supposed to go visit with him on April 17th in my way back from seeing Bruce in Albany, NY on April 16th, 2012. I got a phone call as I was headed into the show from Cal telling me that Zach had died in his sleep. Heartbroken can’t even come close to describing it. We buried Zach a few days later. 

About 2 years ago, I wrote “Thick as Thieves”. The chorus is from an instrumental we wrote together along with the humming st the end which was the guitar solo. I recorded a full band version but never got around to finishing and polishing it. This past January, I recorded a piano track to build the song off of. I recorded vocals as well but never got a chance to go back and finish it. I really wanted to release it on the day he died so on April 16th, I did just that. The cover art is us at our senior prom. I am center, Cal is to my right, and Zach is to my left. I’d like to think he would approve of the song. I think of him often and probably will for the rest of my life.

If you enjoy it, it’s available to stream or download along with “American Romeo” on all major streaming services.

• Like 6

Keep them coming, Shane.

• Like 1

Downloaded Shane. Looking forward to listening to it in the car in the morning.

• Like 2

I’m always open to feedback so I’d love to hear your thoughts on the song whenever you get a chance

3 hours ago, theunsteve said:

Great tune, Shane. Downloading that puppy.

Thanks! Feel free to check my other song out as well!