Greasy Lake Community

Go on...admit it

only the laat few years i listen to the albums completly sperately not a 2 pack

my favourite is still with every wish and and 57 channels 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Karembu said:

The opening blast of Roll of the Dice encapsulates the sound of Springsteen nearly as well as BTR.  That opening piano is musical perfection.

It would not be out of place for me on The River ..... There is no bigger praise i can offer ......

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

only the laat few years i listen to the albums completly sperately not a 2 pack

my favourite is still with every wish and and 57 channels 

With Every Wish is a phenomenal song. 

And I'm quite fond of 57 channels as well. Actually, I think they're also my favourite songs from HT.

Human Touch is probably the springsteen album I listen to the most. It's such an easy listening. 

I do believe though that Human Touch is an album which could have been recorded by so many other artists from that time. 

I mean: Darkness, The River, Nebraska and Tunnel of Love are albums that ONLY bruce could have made. 

Human Touch is an unbelievably strong Phil Collins album. 

3 minutes ago, japaneseguitar said:

It's such an easy listening. 

OK, but I don't consider either of these statements to be an endorsement.  Different strokes.

1 hour ago, japaneseguitar said:

Human Touch is probably the springsteen album I listen to the most. It's such an easy listening. 

I do believe though that Human Touch is an album which could have been recorded by so many other artists from that time. 

I mean: Darkness, The River, Nebraska and Tunnel of Love are albums that ONLY bruce could have made. 

i find that ok

i have always liked Phil Collins

didn't Brice write the HT album as song writting practice and then LT just came on its own accord after than

maybe in hindsight and in fairness to both albums they should have been realised 6 months apart 

he could have still put together the same touring band and still done unpluged plugged- imangine that as a promotion of an about to be released   Lucky town ! 

when you look at how long he sat on songs in the past and even today, how long its taken for Western star to see daylight i just dont think realising both albums at the same time was a good idea

i actually quite like how WOAD just seemed to flow on after the Magic tour with it being recorded durring breaks in that tour

18 hours ago, japaneseguitar said:

I would say Lucky Town is an easy listening.

Only 10 songs in less than 40 minutes, not a bad song on the album, and not the intensity of BTR and Darkness which demands all your attention.

LT has always sounded lazy and unfinished to me. I far prefer HT, which is musically fresh and varied. Unlike many fans, I don't think the ESB would have made these better albums. 

Real Man isn't as bad as I remember thinking it was, it's corny, but genuine. I think it might have been a little less maligned if it had been given a slower arrangement, perhaps piano led? 

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Unlike many fans, I don't think the ESB would have made these better albums. 

Really? I would have thought many fans would have preferred the ESB on those albums. Is there a consensus otherwise?

Edit: oops, I misread your post.

4 hours ago, Harry42 said:

HT is terrible and it was from the first time I heard it. I have always liked LT and is a worthy addition to his cannon of work.

I think HT is excellent, and I loved or really liked most of the songs on it from the first time I heard it. 

Absolutely love the title track.  A LOT.  

Also love (a lot!!!); With Every Wish, Roll of the Dice, All or Nothing at All, Man’s Job, and Long Goodbye. 

Like a lot;  Gloria’s Eyes, Soul Driver, and yes, Pony Boy.  

Really love just about everything on LT, except Big Muddy which I like well enough, but personally could take or leave.  

Both albums for me are absolutely worthy additions to his large and diverse cannon of work.  

29 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I think HT is excellent, and I loved or really liked most of the songs on it from the first time I heard it. 

Also love (a lot!!!); With Every Wish, Roll of the Dice, All or Nothing at All, Man’s Job, and Long Goodbye. 

Really love just about everything on LT, except Big Muddy which I like well enough, but personally could take or leave.  

Both albums for me are absolutely worthy additions to his large and diverse cannon of work.  

i think man's job is lovelly

....im quite found of the big muddy 

i like when his characters misbehave  ;)

On 5/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

Human Touch, Lucky Town and the 92/93 world tour weren't as bad as we thought we remembered.

If I'm honest, I wasn't too turned off by Human Touch when it came out. Oh, I hated Real Man from the start and I thought Pony Boy was a heartfelt mistake, but I enjoyed the album overall. The title track was an instant classic for me and Soul Driver, Real World, Man's Job, I Wish I Were Blind and The Long Goodbye are still favorites. I thought Cross My Heart was good, too, and sounded like it could have come straight out of the Tunnel Of Love sessions. I still think With Every Wish is a beautiful song and I can't resist that piano in Roll Of The Dice. Did it measure up to the classic albums? Was it supposed to? I think the answer to both those questions is "no." The same goes for Lucky Town, though that record is usually held in higher regard than its fraternal twin. It's still considered part of a lost era for Springsteen. His wilderness years.

Like any man lost in the wilderness, Springsteen wandered. He toured the world with a new band and a lot of new songs, some fancy new clothes and a somewhat new sound. I saw seven shows. I loved them all and then, years later, I somehow recalled that I didn't love them that much and they weren't that great.

The two Archive Series releases from that tour have had a lot of play from me and I love the swampy-bluesy-rock-gospel-country-soul sound of the band and I think they play pretty well when I'm not imagining their E Street counterparts standing up there instead. I've heard quite a few of the Human Touch and Lucky Town songs played by the E Street Band and, for the most part, they don't sound that much removed from the arrangements Bruce played with those dirty bastards from that shitty tour in the 90s.

How is it that I came to remember how bad it was, this time I remember so fondly?

I'll tell you what happened. I didn't know I hated Human Touch until the year 2000 when I got on the internet and found out I was supposed to hate it.

715FKdwhQDL._SX522_.jpg81W0XTIqmjL._SX522_.jpg

I am going to admit no such thing! I like maybe one album worth of songs of those two (mainly from Lucky Town plus a couple from Human Touch), but even on all of those, the production is horrible. 

The 2 shows I've heard from this tour (the Archive releases) and teh MTV disc do very little for me.

So, nope, not admitting to anything here. 

5 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I Wish I Were Blind?

Agree the song Human Touch is a fantastic song, Bruce Springsteen's best song of the 90s. One of his best video's too.

45 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I Wish I Were Blind?

Agree the song Human Touch is a fantastic song, Bruce Springsteen's best song of the 90s. One of his best video's too.

My own personal (and absolutely irrational!)  reasons, but I cannot listen to IWIWB.  

Yeah, I just looooooove HT!!  

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Agree the song Human Touch is a fantastic song, Bruce Springsteen's best song of the 90s.

I think it is one of his best songs from the '90s, just not a great record. Grandiose, overwrought production and arrangement.  I think Joe Cocker's cover took a better approach. A beautiful song of looking for love but it didn't need such a power ballad heavy hand.

9 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

You left out Real World ( as i am pummeled by Christic posts .... yeah ... Thats right ... I LIKE the production :)) And i agree with Magnus also ..... I think  had Bruce probably had wonderful inspiration from wife and children for Lucky Town and i guess he was so happy with the songs that he wanted to get them out there immediately .... But i would have preferred some more instruments ....and by that i probably mean Roy Bittan :lol:

Great Post though Rosie ....

3 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

I think it is one of his best songs from the '90s, just not a great record. Grandiose, overwrought production and arrangement. 

Y'know when you're young and learn a new word and you keep adding it into sentences at every possible opportunity because you think it makes you sound cool and intelligent?

HAS GREASY LAKE COLLECTIVELY JUST LEARNED THE WORD "OVERWROUGHT"???????????

On 5/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, japaneseguitar said:

Human Touch is an album that Phil Collins couldn’t even dream of making, save for Real Man. Actually, I think he may have written Real Man.

Archived