Funny thing is that I always hear "factory takes his life" 

I'm a bit on the fence as to what version I like best, his or my ears'. I do tend to his because of the importance even menial work has for one's sense of identity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I wish this song got a bit more attention from Bruce.

Yeah - it did get a reasonable airing throughout the Reunion Tour - it shared that slot (which featured pedal steel guitar and accordion every night) with Mansion on the Hill. There's a lot of great stuff on Nebraska that deserve more regular outings than they get!, (Highway Patrolman...……!!!...….Used Cars would be great to hear as well...…...he should have given us that Unplugged in 1993!!!) 

58 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

Love Come On A LOT... but it still messes with my brain! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, J said:

Love this song... perfectly succinct, beautifully balanced and not an ounce of fat. Songwriting at its leanest, to great effect. 

Absolutely.

• Like 1

Mansions of glory have been replaced by mansions of fear and mansions of pain.

• Like 1

An interesting cover version you might not be familiar with:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Funny thing is that I always hear "factory takes his life" 

I once heard a cover where I'm sure they sang:

"Man takes his lunch box out in the morning light"

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Melody stolen from I Don't Know How To Love Him.

Who sings this song ? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Bruce The Boss said:

Who sings this song ? Thanks.

I don't hear the connection but here you go...

11 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Mansions of glory have been replaced by mansions of fear and mansions of pain.

This has always stood out to me as a clear allusion and intended contrast to the BTR lyric. But in all the writing on Bruce's music I've read through the years, no one ever seems to make much of it. For me, it is one of the clear clues Bruce gave at the time that his new music was 'reactionary to Born To Run' (as he later states in the Glory days doco in the 80's)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I Don't Know How To Love Him is itself a stolen melody, from Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor.

As someone else said about Andrew Lloyd Webber "He never liked a piece of classical music he didn't steal."

In any case, if Webber really thought Bruce Springsteen had "stolen" (eye roll) his melody, you can be sure he would have sued him for it. He didn't.

Slightly off topic. I had the vinyl when it came out, but when I switched to CD's late 1980's, one of the first CD's I got was Darkness. On Factory what I noticed on the CD was a distinct slurring of the music about 2 seconds in, lasting about 2 seconds , this sound was not on the vinyl. Out of interest I listened at the time to other persons copy of the CD and yes the same slurring was there.

When I bought the remastered Album Collection Volume 1, I noticed that the slurring had been removed and Factory again sounded like the original vinyl. Has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, EvanMorris said:

I Don't Know How To Love Him is itself a stolen melody, from Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor.

As someone else said about Andrew Lloyd Webber "He never liked a piece of classical music he didn't steal."

In any case, if Webber really thought Bruce Springsteen had "stolen" (eye roll) his melody, you can be sure he would have sued him for it. He didn't.

The Swedish singer Håkan Hellström was almost sued by him, for a B-side he released that had a high resemblance to Pie Jesu. The single was withdrawn and released again with a different B-side instead.

17 hours ago, J said:

Love this song... perfectly succinct, beautifully balanced and not an ounce of fat. Songwriting at its leanest, to great effect. 

Yeah, not an ounce of fat is spot on. I feel the same way about Have you ever seen the rain by Creedence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I don't hear the connection but here you go...

1:11 - 1:18 in this song are more or less the first 5 seconds of the piano intro/interlude of Factory.

does anyone have a link of imho the best factory ever from Germany in 1980

i just cannot find it these days

it has this ominous bell tolling at the beginning that sums up entirely how i felt with tred in my heart and lead in my.boots working to work at one of my previous places of employment 

that big shed would loom out of the darkness 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 9:43 AM, stillilllife said:

Yeah, not an ounce of fat is spot on. I feel the same way about Have you ever seen the rain by Creedence.

Yes! Absolutely. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, Promise61 said:

You hear it, I don't.