19 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

You hear it, I don't.

It's right there at 1.04.  That organ riff baby, that organ riff.

It's when the singing kicks in. Do the lala test and you'll see both songs are (almost) like peas in a pod.

We all know about the 'steal' in Badlands (which Bruce holds his hands up to) but there's also a steal in Racing... and I can't remember what it is.  Shangri Las, or Crystals or someone.

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

We all know about the 'steal' in Badlands (which Bruce holds his hands up to) but there's also a steal in Racing... and I can't remember what it is.  Shangri Las, or Crystals or someone.

Got it.  The intro is a slowed down copy of the intro to Then He Kissed Me.

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

Got it.  The intro is a slowed down copy of the intro to Then He Kissed Me.

That, I do hear.

Cant say I get the Factory one.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That, I do hear.

Cant say I get the Factory one.

It's the melody on the line "I don't know how to love him" that is the steal.

• Like 1

I shouldn't say 'steal' as I'm in enough trouble around here already.  Let's say that Bruce is just having a lend.

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Funny thing is that I always hear "factory takes his life" 

I'm a bit on the fence as to what version I like best, his or my ears'. I do tend to his because of the importance even menial work has for one's sense of identity. 

First times I heard Badlands I always thought he sung: "but a king ain't satisfied till he LOSE everything"

Which made absolutely no sense to me, but yeah! 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:10 AM, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Funny thing is that I always hear "factory takes his life" 

I'm a bit on the fence as to what version I like best, his or my ears'. I do tend to his because of the importance even menial work has for one's sense of identity. 

holy cow

i will never give @Jimmy James a hard time ever again regarding the Darkness album

i just checked the words and it does gives him life :lol:

which  it does sound familiar that is not how ive been singing it ! 

“Factory takes his hearing / factory gives him life” is what makes the song brilliant and adult. It’s what differentiates Bruce from punk. I love punk but this is a whole other level. This isn’t kicking shit around, it’s understanding the complexity of work and, as much as Bruce didn’t realise or meant it, it’s very Marxist.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Great song. One of my favourites from Darkness. Simple but memorable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I've wrote about this song on this site, many times

I did like your post, it was very good

However I have to disagree when you say "none of Factory is about what happens inside the factory."

“Factory takes his hearing, factory gives him life” 

This does happen in a factory, working in a factory all my life it does actually affect your hearing, decades ago factory workers did not have to wear ear plugs, we do now. Many older factory workers are now hard of hearing because they worked in a factory.

The "..factory gives him life" lyric is pay day, long before we are got cashless pay, pay day was normally thursdays during dinner half hour..you got paid, while at work

"Men walk through these gates with death in their eyes"  this lyric Bruce absolutely nails what it is like to work in a factory, it may just be a few steps before a factory worker enters his place of employment, but the "death in their eyes" moment is most definitely still there when they are in the factory 

"And you just better believe, boy, 
somebody's gonna get hurt tonight,"  

This is factory life for sure, friday night factory workers out getting drunk, pissed off because of their jobs, their life..visit any city on a friday night you'll see the "death in their eyes"

Factory is one of Bruce Springsteen's best ever songs IMO

You’re absolutely right. I should have said that none of the narrative of the song takes place inside the factory. But you’re right, it’s ia absolutely about what happens inside. 

Thanks for the great post, btw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I've wrote about this song on this site, many times

I did like your post, it was very good

However I have to disagree when you say "none of Factory is about what happens inside the factory."

“Factory takes his hearing, factory gives him life” 

This does happen in a factory, working in a factory all my life it does actually affect your hearing, decades ago factory workers did not have to wear ear plugs, we do now. Many older factory workers are now hard of hearing because they worked in a factory.

The "..factory gives him life" lyric is pay day, long before we are got cashless pay, pay day was normally thursdays during dinner half hour..you got paid, while at work

"Men walk through these gates with death in their eyes"  this lyric Bruce absolutely nails what it is like to work in a factory, it may just be a few steps before a factory worker enters his place of employment, but the "death in their eyes" moment is most definitely still there when they are in the factory 

"And you just better believe, boy, 
somebody's gonna get hurt tonight,"  

This is factory life for sure, friday night factory workers out getting drunk, pissed off because of their jobs, their life..visit any city on a friday night you'll see the "death in their eyes"

Factory is one of Bruce Springsteen's best ever songs IMO

Great post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I love about Factory is that this is the song that moves Bruce and his art into adulthood through his father’s experience.  It’s not a first person song ( of a young protagonist) or a song about highly fictionalized  Street characters, which is what populated the the first three albums.  This is rock and roll taking on adult life.  This is the song that opens the door to the next phase of his songwriting.

• Like 6

It's interesting that FACTORY was not actually called FACTORY until March 1978. Even though Bruce had re-written Come On (Let's Go Tonight) to

a song about his father and his miserable job, the studio takes at the Record Plant were "Come On" until January 2, 1978, when he changed it to "The Factory Song". That was also the take and mix where he removed David Lindley's violin and replaced it with Danny's organ. 

He finished the song on March 10 and 14, 1978

Right now it is listed as 2 separate songs on Brucebase; below is how it will look if we combine them; right now we do not have agreement.

I have studied this thoroughly, and listened to all the versions many times

I would like to know what you guys think

This song is perfect; the backing track really never changed from the start (June 1 the first day at Atlantic)

The big event was when he changed the lyrics as I mentioned,

Does that create a new song? Please give me your thoughts

The other big factor for me was that the author kept calling it Come On; Factory does not appear until 1978

COME ON (LET'S GO TONIGHT) - V1 2:07 DO-3 / UP
COME ON (LET'S GO TONIGHT) - V2 2:10 LM-3 / LMEC / UP / AM
LET'S GO TONIGHT - V3a 2:09 DDO / DDOC / UP / DO-1 / LEs
COME ON (LET'S GO TONIGHT) - V3b 2:16 PROMISE
THE FACTORY SONG - V4a 2:20 ODM / HOD / UP
THE FACTORY SONG - V4b 2:15 AM
FACTORY - V4c 2:15 DARKNESS

Timeline Summary

Let's Go Tonight v1 June-July 1977 Atlantic June 1 take one, complete, with Vox [organ] July 2 and 13

Come On (Let's Go Tonight) v2 factory vocals have formed no organ no violin no fade August 23-24 and 30 September 8, 1977

Come On (Let's Go Tonight) v3 no organ, Lindley's violin November 2, 7-8, 1977 lyrics are now about his father at the Factory
Come On (Let's Go Tonight) v3b December 9 and 29, 1977. 9+29/12/77. [TP] The Promise version with modern vocal added in 2010 no organ, Lindley's violin

Come On (Let's Go Tonight) v4 becomes THE FACTORY SONG January 2, 1978 features organ, removes violin
FACTORY v4b and 4c March 10 and 14, 1978 Known studio/demo recordings: Record Plant, New York 10+14/3/78. [DA]
features organ, no violin; Roy plays Floyd Cramer to give it Chet Atkins produced-country feel (my comment)

I see my daddy walking towards them factory gates in the rain

Factory takes his hearing, but he understands

He's a working, a working, just a working man

Bruce changed that to

I see my daddy walking through them factory gates in the rain

Factory takes his hearing, factory gives him life

The working, the working, just the working life

I was going to quote original Come On lyrics but maybe too much info  :wub:

the other part of this story on Darkness is Adam Raised A Cain

that's when he really let's loose

I like the version

Daddy worked his whole life for nothing but the pain