Daisey Jeep

an honest question

What's wrong will Phil Collins

im.too young to.not be completly weirded out by Genisus - the OH has a bunch of cassettes somewhere

but why is Phil so put down by so many music fans ?

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

What's wrong will Phil Collins

im.too young to.not be completly weirded out by Genisus - the OH has a bunch of cassettes somewhere

but why is Phil so put down by so many music fans ?

Not really sure.  I think some think he sold out and brought the band into more pop than rock.  I really didn't listen to them until 'Wind and Wuthering' (one of my favorite albums) so I only really knew Phil as the voice/lead.  I'm sure there are others here that can add more light.

As an aside, I think most music into the late 80's wasn't all that great.  Late 70's early 80's was my favorite era.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Not really sure.  I think some think he sold out and brought the band into more pop than rock.  I really didn't listen to them until 'Wind and Wuthering' (one of my favorite albums) so I only really knew Phil as the voice/lead.  I'm sure there are others here that can add more light.

As an aside, I think most music into the late 80's wasn't all that great.  Late 70's early 80's was my favorite era.

i think the best 80s music came from the 70s i just didnt realize it at the time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

A lot of mainstream mid-to-late 80s music -the music which is in general associated with the 80s- is indeed not good and often horrible music.

However there was a lot of great, exiting more alternative music-often guitar bands- and also interesting things in what is considered 'black music'; this ''black music' in general not the favourite music of most Lakers (including myself).

• Like 2

Don't like his music - never did … think it's his voice.

A would-be suitor tried to impress me by sending me No Jacket Required … I don't think I ever played it. I thanked him and said no more until a few years later … his name was brought up and I said that I'd never liked his stuff. Luckily, he saw the funny side of things saying 'So THAT'S why I never made the grade?'

• Haha 1

I like PC... I still think Face Value is a near perfect album. One I listen to often.

• Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, merlin said:

I went off Phil after he robbed that train!

ive never seen risky.bussines.?

is it a bit of a pass ?

39 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ive never seen risky.bussines.?

is it a bit of a pass ?

The great train robbery!!!

(He had a part in the film)

You'll have to excuse my sense of humour Daisey.

:mellow:

• Haha 1

Why is he "so put down"?

First, when Peter Gabriel departed Genesis, it was "cooler" to stick with him and not go for Genesis, who still for some years performed lengthy progressive numbers, but the lyrics were arguably fey.  Genesis then got massive with snappier, shorter songs which harmed him further with Gabriel advocates.

Second, he is considered Gabriel-lite in some ways on his first two solo albums.  Although he played the what was then unique drum sound on "Mama", he originated it when recording the more abrasive "Outsider" with Gabriel.   He is also considered just too lite in lots of covers and original numbers eg cover of "A Groovy Kind of Love" and "You Can't Hurry Love".  His own songs about being dumped by his first wife are very sincere, melodic, but ...

Third, he is arguably just not at all cool or good looking with his thin lips, balding pate from earylish days.  The entertainment world is lookist.

Fourth, his chummy, blokey manner at Genesis concerts riled quite a number.

Fifth, his voice is a bit of a reedy tenor.

Me, I'm just an inbetweener in my views.  I much preferred Gabriel, but quite liked the first couple of post-Gabriel albums.  Liked "Against All Odds".  "Sussudio".

He could have been considered a whole lot cooler if he had stuck with jazz rock drumming after Gabriel quit.  I saw him with jazz fusion group Brand X at the Marquee.  He may have been about the best jazz rock drummer around then.  He would have been a lot poorer too!

• Like 2

I suspect I'm not alone in owning the full PC and PG discographies.... Happy to and enjoy listening to both...

• Like 1

There's a Paul Heaton song that wishes Phil Collins dead.

I wouldn't go that far. But, as Steve ^ said, Face Value is a great album. The rest, meh.

11 hours ago, -Sussudio- said:

Because he wrote that God awful song Sussudio.

i thought you might eventually turn up :D

I love lots of his music and hate lots of it, especially the later poppy stuff. I think he was a great drummer and having just read his autobiography, he appears to be a decent bloke.

I think the problem was that, for a time, you just couldn't move without either seeing him on TV or hearing him on the radio/movie tracks. He just became uncool due to over saturation. And Live Aid. 

As for the Gabriel v Collins thing, I think Gabriel had the better voice but 'A Trick of the Tail' is my favourite Genesis album. The 'competition' between them is clearly in the fans' minds, not theirs - they still appear to be good mates. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ginslinger said:

I love lots of his music and hate lots of it, especially the later poppy stuff. I think he was a great drummer and having just read his autobiography, he appears to be a decent bloke.

I think the problem was that, for a time, you just couldn't move without either seeing him on TV or hearing him on the radio/movie tracks. He just became uncool due to over saturation. And Live Aid. 

As for the Gabriel v Collins thing, I think Gabriel had the better voice but 'A Trick of the Tail' is my favourite Genesis album. The 'competition' between them is clearly in the fans' minds, not theirs - they still appear to be good mates. 

googering  Phil Collins live aid

that thing was a long time ago and as much as i tried to watch it all, alot of it was in the middle of the night

i might see if the liberry has his autobiography  

thanks for the recommendation

On 5/16/2019 at 4:36 AM, Eileen said:

Don't like his music - never did … think it's his voice.

I've heard many say the same about solo Nils, that they just can't stand his voice so can't enjoy his music.  Their loss.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gsquare said:

I've heard many say the same about solo Nils, that they just can't stand his voice so can't enjoy his music.  Their lose.

In my humble opinion Nils has the best voice in the E Street Band... 

• Like 2

I bought Flip when it came out and loved it - especially Delivery Night … because of his voice.

It was the trampolining (saw him in the Toon) and the hat that put me off. :D

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

i thought you might eventually turn up :D

It would have been rude not to.

Perhaps surprisingly though, I'm not a die-hard fan. In fact, I've never even listened to any of his studio albums.

One summer my family and I spent a week in Cornwall as we did every second year. I was maybe ten years old or summit and my brothers just a couple years younger. It was a scorching hot week this particular holiday and maybe we stopped into a supermarket to grab some cola for the car. My mum is a child of the 80s and so I guess the £5 sticker on Phil Collins' '...Hits' compilation was basically one end of a magnet to which she had the other half.

She popped the CD into the stereo as my Dad started up the car and it became the soundtrack for the rest of that scorching hot week in Cornwall. The first track was Another Day In Paradise and it was the first time I ever heard a story in a song (you gotta keep in mind the music I grew up on was 90's boys and girls bands and I'm Blue Da Ba Dee Da Ba Da). It just mesmerised me this story. Yeah, it's not Shakespeare but it was simple enough for a 10 year old to hear. Not just the story but also the message. Plus it was set to some pretty nice music.

That CD is a serious assault of hit after hit, pop song after pop song. The upbeat ones are infectiously fun and the ballads are emotional. Say what you will, the man knows how to craft a good pop song.

Around the same time the Disney movie Tarzan came out. Maybe a few months later or summit. My dad took my brothers and I to see it. That was a funny day because my Dad quickly took us to a shop called Halfords - a superstore that sells car and bike parts - and my youngest brother was playing with one of the stools employees use to reach the top shelves. He left it in the middle of the aisle. An employee came running around the corner, tripped over the stool and went flying. Good times. Then the film we loved, which I still love to this day. Phil Collins done the soundtrack and damn if it ain't a good soundtrack. I don't know how the songs sound to anyone who never saw the movie. 

What feels like many, many years later but I guess it wasn't really all the much later...my youngest brother died after a couple of years fighting, and winning, and then losing against cancer. The song You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins from the Tarzan soundtrack was played at the funeral. Just because the lyrics were perfect for this little soldier who fought against the biggest enemy.

I only have Genesis' greatest hits album too and one of their live albums which basically focused on the Phil Collins' frontman era. I think they are both fantastic CDs. Jesus, Mama is an intense ride every time I listen to it. 

I think I was listening to Phil Collins when I signed up here. I guess I didn't think at the time that calling myself Sussudio might lead people to think I'm a woman. Probably was more worried people would think of me as a Phil Collins fan! I jest, I jest.

So yeah, I'll defend Phil Collins. He writes some damn good songs. 

Maybe he was the Ed Sheeran of his time perhaps. If I had been there in the 80s maybe I'd be of a different mind.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1