Anyway, I'll stop being negative. He can do what he likes.

Just looked at the YouTube comments and people are loving it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Daisey, you are so right....it drips of the darkness and lost time, It moves me as much as hello Sunshine.

In my current state, this album is going to be important.

may you get something really positive out of it personally 

Bruce is great like that 

its like no matter how your feeling he's felt it too and can somehow explain it 

(im still.avoiding TOL mind)

Note to all those who do not like this, or even "Hello Sunshine", these tracks are from maybe a short phase of Bruce's life around 2011/2012.  He then focused on Wrecking Ball.  He has not necessarily gone down Sinatra or whoever's street for good.

He sat on it for seven years for a reason or two.

Don't give up and wave goodbye to Bruce as he stutters away on his mobility scooter until he hits you with recent output (if he does) - that promised band album.

Those who love it - it's a bonus.  Better than Dylan who's crooning other people's stuff from the Great American Songbook.  At least Bruce is doing his own, however influenced.

Just heard it and have ambivalent reaction.

• Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I want another TRUE solo record. As sparse as Tom Joad. That will suit his life stage. It's timeless.

Well, from all we know about it, I doubt Western Stars will be that kind of album. I mean, the press release mentions more than 20 different musicians involved.

Loved 'Hello Sunshine' from the very moment the broomsticks brushed across the drums... Bruce Bumps!

Sadly I didn't feel the same about this track, thought is was pretty poor.

However, after some bombardment on repeat and with volume cranked... It's a real grower! 

Looking forward to the rest on the tunes (and stories) on this album.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

what is a croon exactly thought ?

its like me saying to you i heard a tui impersonating a magpie  today (Very ANZAC spirit) but you wouldn't really know bow that sounds

maybe a tui croons ?????

A crooner has a smooth voice.  Bruce is definitely crooning in the chorus on this song. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

That was all the langauge in the media a couple of years back.

Yeah, but I just meant that if he himself hasn't said the exact words that he is going to release a full-out country album then we can't really expect him to do exactly that.

I've listened to this song a couple of times now and it doesn't really do anything for me. It is indeed a bit WOADish in a way (and for me, that's not a good thing). I don't think I'll ever feel the need to hear this song again. I prefer Hello Sunshine.

• Like 1

I firggin' love it. Dreamy pop. GIANT hook. Pumped for this album! Yes it's Magic/WOAD all over again and I dig that production/arrangement as long as the songs are good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

That was all the langauge in the media a couple of years back.

True, but to be honest, general media call it country whatever pop-rock song may contain acoustic or partly-electrified instruments. But country, like blues, is a matter of rhythm rather than acoustic vs electric. Over the years I’ve read of Nebraska, Tunnel Of Love, Tom Joad, Devils and Dust and even Lucky Town being referred to as “country” or “countrish” albums. And none of them are. On the contrary, I don’t remember Bruce talking of a proper country project himself.

• Like 1

Could our dude finally get another radio hit?? I always thought he should've released "Surprise Surprise" way back then.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'll stop being negative. He can do what he likes.

The comments on YouTube are very positive.

• Like 1

It's playing on the radio as I type, now I seriously hear it as continuing WOAD and that ain't good for me.  Still hear White Town, especially vocally, so that's a plus.  However, Hello Sunshine out of the two is by far the superior track to my ears.  

• Like 1

Couple of comments. 

1) I do agree with a lot of other comments that this is WOAD part 2. I consider WOAD my least favorite Bruce album of all time so that doesn't excite me.

2) Hello Sunshine did take me a while to get used to. It's ok.

3) However, There Goes My Miracle did grab me right away. I give him props for his voice range and for me, it does sound a little like Girls in the Summer Clothes. 

I'm wrestling where this album will ultimately be played. I don't think I'm cruising down the Parkway to my Jersey Shore home with it blasting. I don't think I'm playing it on the beach. Maybe hanging out at the house late at night for some quiet moments. Hopefully there is a gem on here, somewhere. 

Never understood the WOAD unpopularity - lyrically its just fantastic and there is some brilliant writing, for example regarding ageing. Listened to This Life earlier and got goosebumps as Clarence's sax boomed in over the outro, just wonderful

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Just heard the song for the first time this morning. Holy crap, it sucks. Whoever is saying it sounds like a WOAD outtake is right and that’s not a compliment. WOAD did not have enough quality tracks to fill the album to begin with. I’m not sure that it’s Real Man level bad, but I’m not really sure that it’s not either.

• Like 1

I still don't like it. I can't find anything positive about it, except for the "look what you've done" part, where he sounds like himself. It's way too syrupy for my taste. The high tones agitate me. 

Many have stated that this is old man's writing, but to me the lyrics sound adolescent.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Silvia said:

I can't find anything positive about it, except for the "look what you've done" part

Same here.  

21 hours ago, A Saint in the city said:

Am I the only one that is hearing an Andy Williams vibe in the chorus???

Will need a few more listens to truly appreciate it.....

No you are not the only one.  I called my best friend and asked, "Well, what do you think?" and she said "Andy Williams"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I still don't like it. I can't find anything positive about it, except for the "look what you've done" part, where he sounds like himself. It's way too syrupy for my taste. The high tones agitate me. 

Many have stated that this is old man's writing, but to me the lyrics sound adolescent.

Agree with all of this except the 'look what you've done' part. It sounds as if they're bereft of ideas and just padded it out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I find it intriguing that some people have said that Bruce is playing “old people music” or is making them feel old by doing something like this. Intriguing because there’s nothing as old-like as pretending to be 30 when you’re 70.

What I meant by saying that is that I feel like I'm listening to my parent's music.  Nothing wrong with my parent's music (some of it I love...like Frank).  But it's their music.  My music is Jungleland, Thunder Road and Adam Raised a Cain.  Trust me, at this point in my life I feel very old (even though I'm still in my 50's) and it has nothing to do with Bruce's new song.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I find it intriguing that some people have said that Bruce is playing “old people music” or is making them feel old by doing something like this. Intriguing because there’s nothing as old-like as pretending to be 30 when you’re 70.

When you get to my age, you realize that you feel so little time has passed, but feelings ain't facts.

And you sure don't feel (or think) like what you think you would feel (or think) at this age. I'm not sure how much of this is because I didn't have children. I think that ages you differently.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Frank03 said:

Love both songs so far. The man is almost 70 and still making good music.

Glad he's doing different things now, those simple lyrics and melodies are probably alot harder to write than we think.

Dylan explains repeating the past in this clip, 30 seconds in, which I think applies to Bruce aswell.

This video was amazing. Thank you for posting it.

And I think it does apply to this new song/album, too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

(some of it I love...like Frank). 

You know, I love you too. ;)

• Haha 4