A thought from the interweb ponders that it may be about Adele. 

'Sundowning' is an expression used in regards to that disease.

Interesting thought that fits the timeline.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I agree with those who feel that this is actually a dark song.  It gets darker with every listen.  I’ve been jumping back and forth between Life Itself and Miracle and sense some sort of connection between the two, particularly if written around the same time.  What began as an ill-fated relationship or perhaps as the result of some type of schism, now reveals its conclusion in Miracle.  Bruce does the juxtaposition of dark and light so well, and this song is no different; the undercurrent of loss made all the more jarring by the lilting vocal and lush instrumentation.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Anyway, I'll stop being negative. He can do what he likes.

What is negative about not liking a song?  How can one like everything?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

What is negative about not liking a song?  How can one like everything?

But you're not a real fan if you don't like everything and you don't belong on this board.

:mellow:

• Haha 2

Don't even get me started on that "real fan" shite.

Most people with adult mentality don't go there, most.  

• Like 2

I mean seriously, for some reason with the last couple of records when someone doesn't like a song/album they apologize for being negative, it's just a thought and their tastebud ferchrissake.  There is nothing "negative" about it.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

But you're not a real fan if you don't like everything and you don't belong on this board.

:mellow:

Feelin' like a real fan
Well you can beat on your chest
Hell any monkey can
But you got me feelin' like a real fan
Oh feelin' like a real fan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kay said:

I mean seriously, for some reason with the last couple of records when someone doesn't like a song/album they apologize for being negative, it's just a thought and their tastebud ferchrissake.  There is nothing "negative" about it.  

I guess they're afraid of ruining a positive mood, which I feel is a sensible trait.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I don't know why, but I'm thinking this album may be one of those that's sequenced to tell a loose story, or an interconnected series of stories.

God help the spotify generation then!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thunder Roadie said:

God help the spotify generation then!

They won't be buying this album, no worries...

• Haha 2

I just listened to both of the new songs again.  I much prefer Hello Sunshine even though it will never be close to one of my favorite Bruce songs.  Neither of the songs are bad songs in my opinion, just not my taste for Bruce songs.  I hope he has another rock n roll record in him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

True, but to be honest, general media call it country whatever pop-rock song may contain acoustic or partly-electrified instruments. But country, like blues, is a matter of rhythm rather than acoustic vs electric. Over the years I’ve read of Nebraska, Tunnel Of Love, Tom Joad, Devils and Dust and even Lucky Town being referred to as “country” or “countrish” albums. And none of them are. On the contrary, I don’t remember Bruce talking of a proper country project himself.

I think there are many songs on those albums that could qualify/cross over as country rock or the kind of pop country that's popular these days. There have been a number of country artists who have recorded Bruce's songs. I've said before that Local Hero seems to me like Brad Paisley could have written it. 

Overall, I like the new song. I've only heard it on my phone so far, so I'm looking forward to hearing it on better speakers. I think the strings will sound great.

I do wish the lyrics were a bit more substantial, though. And I still haven't decided if I like the echo effect on the vocal, or if I'm annoyed by it. 

• Like 1

First impression, is its ok. it did not grab me. Its a bit disjointed. I feel like sometimes he isn't singing lyrics as much as listing words, if that makes sense. 

On its own it is an ok tune that like anything else may grow on me and it may be better in the context of the full album. Which I whole heartedly think is a thing. Meaning some songs stand sound better amongst the rest of the project. 

23 hours ago, rocknrollcrook said:

Sounds like a WOAD outtakes, and I love that album, but this was meh. Don't nlike the percussion.

I can hear this vocal style particualrly in ....

I agree with the similariteis vocally to WOAD bu I feel where he was a little tongue in cheek on that album , he is in a far more serious in the tone and there is far more pathos in the two releases so far, which is always a good thing in music.

Lyrically although quite generic I am glad he is not going on about diapers and shopping trolleys. 

I can see this album accompanying me on a long summer drive, and being quite relaxing and calming.

• Like 1

Lots of comments about Bruce being a crooner...

Decided to Google it,  interesting result from Wikipedia:

Bruce the Crooner Wikipedia.jpg

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Bullett said:

Lots of comments about Bruce being a crooner...

Decided to Google it,  interesting result from Wikipedia:

Bruce the Crooner Wikipedia.jpg

'......but not popular with 'some' on Greasy Lake!!!' Someone has already been reading this thread:D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, THUE said:

Its a bit disjointed. I feel like sometimes he isn't singing lyrics as much as listing words, if that makes sense. 

Makes total sense to me.  Probably why I shouldn't have read the lyrics while first listening, disjointed is a good descriptor, coz with its vague lyrics I did feel like he was kinda just listing words and not really singing any coherent lyrics. 

This song stinks to high heaven.  Back in 67 a young teen group of us absolutely hated the balladeer Englebert Humperdinck for keeping The Beatles double-A side Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane off the number one sport with his syrupy ballad "Release Me".  We English teens loathed him with an adolescent  vengeance.  The young Bruce tried to smash the acetate of Born To Run.   He would have pulverised this non-miracle into the furthest parts of the universe.  Remember critic Greil Marcuse's reaction to Dylan's Self Portrait?  "What is this shit?"  And ...

On the other hand, we all change.  This is a infectious classy crooner ballad that would easily fit into the 50s and 60s.  Old Blue Eyes will finally be looking down at a worthy successor as the King of New Jersey.  And the words - maybe more than meets the instant eye. 

Help, I'm divided.  I think that I like it.  I do like it, don't love it.  Prefer "Someday We'll".  The outside world commenting on YouTube seems to love it and that includes a  load of young people responding to something in a style that a lot of grandparents loved.

What next?  Keith Richards does an album of Bing Crosby covers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

I did feel like he was kinda just listing words and not really singing any coherent lyrics. 

That's how I'm hearing it, too. And I think this is what @Frank meant yesterday with his Rain Man comment.

11 minutes ago, micktonerdeaf said:

This song stinks to high heaven.  Back in 67 a young teen group of us absolutely hated the balladeer Englebert Humperdinck for keeping The Beatles double-A side Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane off the number one sport with his syrupy ballad "Release Me".  We English teens loathed him with an adolescent  vengeance. 

I loathed Englebert too, couldn't take him when he came on my parents radio in the car.   Now that I'm how many million years older, I'm not as aghast as seeing anything Bruce related to him but I'd still prefer not to, if you catch my drift.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, micktonerdeaf said:

Note to all those who do not like this, or even "Hello Sunshine", these tracks are from maybe a short phase of Bruce's life around 2011/2012.  He then focused on Wrecking Ball.  He has not necessarily gone down Sinatra or whoever's street for good.

He sat on it for seven years for a reason or two.

Heard that before, is that speculation or a known fact? 

Can't be arsed to go back through the threads and find it, but I do find it curious that some of you have said with respect to the song that it "works" where WOAD didn't, something to that effect.  Any expansion on that?  Tom-Joad?  

kl1967, without googling a lot, Bruce has talked about the album a few times, saying it was in the can and describing the style.  He said it went back to the Wrecking Ball days.  Maybe not all the songs; maybe many arrangements have been done recently.  Maybe a similar situation to Darkness against The Promise. 

• Like 1