Lambkin

There goes my miracle

33 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

That’s actually a bit condescending.

If that is the way you took it, I apologize. Right now I'm (REAL) Bruce starved. And again this is just me. 

1. A Book I've tried to read three different time and couldn't get through. 

2. A tour of said Book

3. Broadway- at first I said no way, than after all the reviews of poster here and other, I said maybe I'll try to get there. Never could. 

4. Netflix - and I'm glad i didn't make the effort. The lost of money would have pissed me a bit, but it just money. 

5. Western Star - Not saying anything.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

If that is the way you took it, I apologize. Right now I'm (REAL) Bruce starved. And again this is just me. 

1. A Book I've tried to read three different time and couldn't get through. 

2. A tour of said Book

3. Broadway- at first I said no way, than after all the reviews of poster here and other, I said maybe I'll try to get there. Never could. 

4. Netflix - and I'm glad i didn't make the effort. The lost of money would have pissed me a bit, but it just money. 

5. Western Star - Not saying anything.  

There’s nothing wrong with you not liking it. I just thought it was a little condescending that you thought the only reason why people would like this is because they desperately want something from Bruce and somehow lost their ability to think for themselves.

I’m with you on the Broadway and Netflix special, btw.

This is no story song - and between this and Hello Sunshine, the impression I am getting is that this album is not going to be compared to ToL or D&D any time soon.

The song is atmospheric and the big exciting new thing here is that Bruce's voice is the closest I've ever heard it come to Roy Orbison.

Lyrically it is sparse and repetitive, relying more on the chorus than most of his songs do. This could be a radio friendly album we'll have to see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tenth Avenue said:

I like Hello Sunshine a lot (and have been listening to it on repeat since it was released) and if Western Stars has a few more songs like it I'll be very happy with the album.

Same here.  But I don't like 'There Goes My Miracle' much, if at all.

I feel like it had the potential to be good in a Girls in their Summer Clothes kind of way, but doesn't quite hit the mark. 

I can sort of see what you mean, but it's nowhere near as good as 'Girls', which I think is one of Bruce's masterpieces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Joad said:

Not everyone can have my refined taste... ;) 

That’s a given... 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Girls', which I think is one of Bruce's masterpieces.

I’m with you there, Rizla! 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

With more listens this one is overtaking Hello Sunshine for me. 

I am not necessarily happy with that as think HS is better lyrically but its the melody and Bruce's voice which won me over from the first listen.

Just really looking forward to hearing this album as a whole.

He has given me enough in the past to think there is a hidden gem as always which will deliver both ...

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 3

OK, so I’ve been kind of off-line for a few days and missed the new song dropping. This thread was 9 pages long before I started reading and 13 before I heard the actual song. That’s a lot of catching up in one read...

So, yes it sounds a bit like each and every one of the mentioned songs from Bruce’s collected works (did anyone mention Last Carnival?) That’s not surprisingly, since certain snippets of melody, certain types of phrasing, certain chord progressions, etc. often define an artists work, the way a painter’s colour palette or brushstrokes might define theirs. Nothing unusual there at all. (Did I read somewhere once that a composer keeps re-writing the same 6 songs throughout their career? Or was it the same 4 songs? Anyway...)

What I’m most interested in is how this album will transition from song to song. We now have a two song sequence where the style of instrumentation and singing aren’t carbon copies of each other. We can only speculate on how all 13 songs will flow and mesh. Perhaps they won’t, like so many pop albums of my youth, but I’m hoping there really is an overarching story to listen to when the album can be heard in full. I’m thinking there’s a story link in the two songs we’ve already heard- I might by totally wrong, of course. That happens. Quite often. 

As for the singing, yes, Bruce is trying to sing like Roy Orbison again. And why not? Gets close too. Nice that he still has that range but could he pull it off live?  

Well, I played TGMM then HS straight after, like on the album track listing. Repeated that a few times. I think the album will work. Mightn’t make my top 10, I suspect, but there will be sunny days, quiet nights, car rides, when it will be the perfect music for an hour or so. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

A thought from the interweb ponders that it may be about Adele. 

'Sundowning' is an expression used in regards to that disease.

Interesting thought that fits the timeline.

I'm surprised this observation hadn't generated more discussion.

Just went back and watched the lyric video and I was pretty sure the interwebsters were onto something until the last verse. I couldn't fit the " book of love has it's rules / disobeyed by fools" part into this interpretation. Of course, the whole song doesn't necessarily need to follow the one idea, or it could be referring to some aspect of Bruce's relationship with his mum we know nothing about.

The sentiment in the chorus certainly fits this interpretation, and as you say so do the sundown references. Losing the street in the darkness also evokes the spectre of dementia and what it does to a person.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

What I meant by saying that is that I feel like I'm listening to my parent's music.  Nothing wrong with my parent's music (some of it I love...like Frank).  But it's their music.  My music is Jungleland, Thunder Road and Adam Raised a Cain.  Trust me, at this point in my life I feel very old (even though I'm still in my 50's) and it has nothing to do with Bruce's new song.

the one big thing i took.out of the river anniversary tour is its not so much we are out parents as our parents are us

Bruce has talked about growing up listening to pop on the radio - the songs his mum must have enjoyed 

while he has achknowleded he's been influenced by the black back up singers of that day his ears must have also been taking in all those other sounds out there on those airwaves as well

i think @Skin2Skin has a point maybe with age regarding people who don't have children because we don't have that daily reference point watching our kids grow up

your not old BD, you've just had more than your fare share of worry and stress and pain 

for the record release me is one of my fav non Bruce songs 

and as stated many times i love the song working on a dream and i can personally relate to every word

8 hours ago, Promise61 said:

A thought from the interweb ponders that it may be about Adele. 

'Sundowning' is an expression used in regards to that disease.

Interesting thought that fits the timeline.

that's really intetesting Mr Promises 

(hang on @Bosstralian i had a tonn to catch up on.               there guys yabba away non stop when we sleep)

i havn't heard the term sundown in relation to altzimers but its certainly bloody cruel and heaetbtreaking and it is a lost love

my mum forgot my dad

she forgot all of us except her brothers

if i hear the first turn of autumn in the WOAD album i hear the end of autumn in miricle

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

36 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Just went back and watched the lyric video and I was pretty sure the interwebsters were onto something until the last verse. I couldn't fit the " book of love has it's rules / disobeyed by fools" part into this interpretation. Of course, the whole song doesn't necessarily need to follow the one idea, or it could be referring to some aspect of Bruce's relationship with his mum we know nothing about.

The sentiment in the chorus certainly fits this interpretation, and as you say so do the sundown references. Losing the street in the darkness also evokes the spectre of dementia and what it does to a person.

This is exactly what I was thinking almost to the letter.

Its the last verse that makes it not work for me at least.

Totally agree about the line re the street.

• Like 1

I'm sensing some strategy with these releases. I'm thinking the thematic connection between "Hello Sunshine" and "There Goes My Miracle" leads into the third single, hypothetically "Moonlight Motel". Not to mention, the latter two are sequenced together. 

After a few dozen listens this song is growing on me, it's still about 30 or 40 listen to's behind Hello Sunshine.

• Like 7

Just gave it another listen. Still sucks. Kind of baffling music for him to put out. Cringe worthy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

your not old @BrilliantDisguise you've just had more than your fare share of worry and stress and pain............and Classic Concerts! ('78 Capital Theatre).

No, I won't forget!.......:D

• Bruuuuce! 1

6 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

That’s probably because the original poster of this idea asked his thread to be deleted shortly after a discussion had started (but not before his interpretation made it here). I guess people are avoiding commenting on this topic out of respect for the poster.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Frank said:

That’s probably because the original poster of this idea asked his thread to be deleted shortly after a discussion had started (but not before his interpretation made it here). I guess people are avoiding commenting on this topic out of respect for the poster.

Yes.  The OP is a well liked and respected member of our community and I thought the supporting link made for an interesting discussion.  I have no idea why the OP asked for the thread to be deleted but I thought the idea was worthy of further discussion.

Mrs Springsteen was diagnosed around about the time that the song was written.  The possibility (however remote) that it may be about Mrs S makes the song a whole lot more interesting, to me. 

• Like 4

I hadn't thought about the possibility of the song being about his mom until it was raised here. If it is, then it is a beautiful tribute to her.

• Like 2

I posted this on another thread, but I think it fits here, as the importance of music and what it does for us has been mentioned.9EAA5767-A2FF-4B37-827A-001F44B88F90.thumb.jpeg.eb8bd6aeb5bcc02a9534abd9fe45f0bc.jpeg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

I hadn't thought about the possibility of the song being about his mom until it was raised here. If it is, then it is a beautiful tribute to her.

Although, to be honest, the ground for such a possibility is extremely shaky.

• Like 3