I've only just had the chance to listen properly after one listen yesterday at low volume with background music playing.

I wasn't at all sure at first, but with a few listens it has certainly grown on me. 

• Like 1

Lyrically I don't think this album is going to be what he promised. Both songs seem a bit thin. I absolutely like what he's doing musically. He always had these great pop tendencies. But so far the comparison to similar work by other artists is not in his favor. Take Elvis Costello's last outing for example. 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with minimalistic lyrics, if they are meaningful, expressive. I think it's much harder to tell a story, when you limit yourself that way. I believe he did a great job on HS. With this song, the less is more concept didn't work that well. The song is too soft for such approach, I think a little more of the story would suit the song better. 

Or, he really was going for musical richness, and minimalistic lyrics in order to emphasize the sound of these songs. Who knows..

• Like 1

Lyrically I think Hello Sunshine says a lot in a few words, - 'fall in love with lonely, you end up that way', 'walk too far, you walk away'  for example. Not quite 'with the eyes of one who hates for just being born' I grant you, but pretty good.

There goes my miracle I think is a bit weak in the lyrics department, but I like his voice and the soaring beauty of the arrangement. Not sure it will ever be a favourite, but I certainly don't hate it.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Ok, I've read through this whole thread.:wacko: And have heard the song three times 

1. How would you think this album received in place of WOAD or High Hopes?  

2. Is it possible, that this album is released 5 years after HH and 7 years after WB, and when hungry we will eat ...

I wouldn’t open the HH can of worms, and we haven’t heard enough of WS to compare it to WOAD. And yes, it’s possible that some of us might have considerably lowered the bar of their expectations over the last decade (me for sure).

However, I wouldn’t pit WOAD against WS as if we were still in 2009. Rather, I tend to see the release of a “light lyrics-big arrangements-big singing album” today as a proper coda in the wake of the Autobiography-Broadway-Netflix project.

Let’s face it: Bruce has spent the last years sealing his career by baring his soul as an artist and as a human being. Even if he were younger, there would hardly be anything personal (or more meaningful) that he could add to his artistic and personal legacy. This is probably sad or unpopular to say, but I’d take WS as the music on the final credits at the end of a movie, rather than a new chapter of his career. And maybe this also is the reason why he sat on WS so long before releasing it. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Ann Jones said:

Lyrically I think Hello Sunshine says a lot in a few words, - 'fall in love with lonely, you end up that way', 'walk too far, you walk away'  for example.

Yes I thiink the criticisms on his 'light' lyrics are a bit harsh for HS.

You know I always liked that empty road
No place to be and miles to go
But miles to go is miles away
Hello sunshine, won't you stay?

I love the atmosphere of this song,a song that suggest sweetness and light but in reality has a more thoughtful side to it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Lyrically I don't think this album is going to be what he promised. Both songs seem a bit thin. I absolutely like what he's doing musically. He always had these great pop tendencies. But so far the comparison to similar work by other artists is not in his favor. Take Elvis Costello's last outing for example. 

We have only heard two songs, one of which it was generally agreed had some great lyrics. He stated several of the songs on Western Stars will be character driven and that is what we will almost certainly get. Like every good Bruce record there will be a variety and a range of styles. I like Elvis Costello but he is not in the same class as Springsteen and he would be the first to admit it.

• Like 2

Some on BTX are saying the song is about his kids growing up and moving on in life. Not sure I agree but it's another take.

I'm slowly warming to the song.:)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Yes I thiink the criticisms on his 'light' lyrics are a bit harsh for HS.

You know I always liked that empty road
No place to be and miles to go
But miles to go is miles away
Hello sunshine, won't you stay?

I love the atmosphere of this song,a song that suggest sweetness and light but in reality has a more thoughtful side to it.

“Light lyrics” is not a criticism or a bad thing per se, if it is intended to fit a song (as in this case, IMHO). On the other hand I think it’s important we call a spade a spade. 

1 hour ago, riverdude2 said:

Some on BTX are saying the song is about his kids growing up and moving on in life

To me, that works slightly better than his mother.

Neither theory may be right, but looking at it either way does add meaning to the lyrics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Neither theory may be right, but looking at it either way does add meaning to the lyrics.

Well, and that may be a “mistake”, IMHO. I mean, fans so far seem extremely uneasy with what WS songs are probably about: orchestration and great singing. That is, “music in the first place”. If you keep that in mind, we needn’t Alzheimer’s pseudo-professional terminology, mothers, sons, depression, or hyper-analysed lines. Just keep it simple as the music suggests. I don’t think the Southern Californian pop mentioned in the press release as influence for WS was that Freudian or criptic in meaning.

I hear both songs as relationship-themed songs, but according to my interpretation, they are not sung to the same woman. It was previously mentioned somewhere on this thread, that these songs were probably written around the time of his alleged love affair - which is something that can't/mustn't/won't be discussed here - I don't exactly know why cos it clearly influenced his songwriting, even if it wasn't something he had experienced himself, but a situation he had imagined, only for the purpose of songwriting. 

So, according to my theory, HS is a song in which the narrator is sitting at the bar in a lonely, small town, once again running away from his past mistakes and commitments, revealing and perhaps making excuses for why he wants her to stay... There a connection to It's The Little Things... or hello beautiful thing maybe you could save my life... as far as the content goes.

HGMM, on the other hand, is the result of his "misbehavior". She/not the same she as in HS/ left, and again, he doesn't take responsibility - he appears to be blaming her for giving up on him (look what you've done could have easily be replaced with look what I've done..) 

4 minutes ago, Silvia said:

he appears to be blaming her for giving up on him (look what you've done could have easily be replaced with look what I've done..) 

That's how I took it - he's talking to himself, hence the difference in levels/voice (the boring bit).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank said:

That’s probably because the original poster of this idea asked his thread to be deleted shortly after a discussion had started (but not before his interpretation made it here). I guess people are avoiding commenting on this topic out of respect for the poster.

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yes.  The OP is a well liked and respected member of our community and I thought the supporting link made for an interesting discussion.  I have no idea why the OP asked for the thread to be deleted but I thought the idea was worthy of further discussion.

Mrs Springsteen was diagnosed around about the time that the song was written.  The possibility (however remote) that it may be about Mrs S makes the song a whole lot more interesting, to me. 

I've clearly missed a whole subtext to this, I was unaware of any other topic that was posted and subsequently taken down. Apologies if there's been any unintended offence or anything to anyone. My own mum is in the advanced stages of a dementia battle, and listening to the song in that context did resonate with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silvia said:

I don't have a problem with minimalistic lyrics, if they are meaningful, expressive. I think it's much harder to tell a story, when you limit yourself that way. I believe he did a great job on HS. With this song, the less is more concept didn't work that well. The song is too soft for such approach, I think a little more of the story would suit the song better. 

Or, he really was going for musical richness, and minimalistic lyrics in order to emphasize the sound of these songs. Who knows..

Yeah, musically like the opposite of TGOTJ.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Yeah, musically like the opposite of TGOTJ.

Or the lyrical and musical diarrhea that is “Blinded By The Light” :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Ok, I've read through this whole thread.:wacko: And have heard the song three times now on E-Street Radio. Thank you Bruce for doing that. Just saved me $$$. 

I will not say anything but praise for the people how love it. It's just not for me. Within this thread I've heard he (Bruce) sounds like, Bart, Jimmy, Glenn, Barry, The Beach Boys and many other I can't recall right now. But not one person, and I mean not one person has said it sounds like Bruce Springsteen. Ok Kay said this tune sounds like Whitetown. 

Can I ask a question? And I ask as we only have heard 2 tunes from this new album, but most likely the best of this album. 

1. How would you think this album received in place of WOAD or High Hopes?  

2. Is it possible, that this album is released 5 years after HH and 7 years after WB, and when hungry we will eat anything? 

That said I'm eating up Steven's new one, Nil's has a couple good ones on his new LP. The National just released. and so on. 

I think this is an appropriate response for anyone looking for a rocker. 

I am not sure I can answer question one. I will tell you that I did not like the WOAD album. I liked one or two songs. I disliked the title track and QOTS and Outlaw Pete and . . . I could go on and on. This does not sound like any of those songs to me, nor does it sound like the one I liked best from WOAD: What Love Can Do. I learned to be moved by Kingdom of Days and There Goes My Miracle does share some things with that song (but I like the latter much better).

For me, this album (which I am looking forward to, very much) is not a matter of eating out of desperation. Bruce may see it as a box of gems, but I see it as a box of chocolates, thus far. And I love chocolate.

I also love Galveston and some other Glen Campbell songs. I love Jimmy Webb. Wichita Lineman. All I Know. The Worst That Could Happen. By the Time I Get to Phoenix!!! 

Do I love them more than classic Bruce? No. But as long as I know where to slot this album in my heart's musical jukebox, I am good to go.

• Like 3

P.S. Yesterday, I was listening to it and then something else. When I came back to TGMM, I actually got goosebumps.

It's been a while since a new Bruce song gave me goosebumps.

So while TGMM is not "classic Bruce," that doesn't mean it's not powerful in its own way.

• Like 1

It's growing  on me, not as fast as Hello Sunshine, but it may.. Don't dislike it, and if this is the way the album will be sounding like, then I'm happy. I like that Bruce is trying this, it's not entirely novel for him, but if he can pull off an album in this vein, to my ears it will be more satisfying than another album like D & D. The lyrics have so far been pretty simple and not any where near Bruce's best, but it's been some time since he's been consistently good lyrically. The Rising was a bit disappointing lyrically, and even Magic and D &D weren't consistently good.

This is his worst track since Q O T Supermarket and personally I didn’t think that was possible 

1 hour ago, cabbyian said:

This is his worst track since Q O T Supermarket and personally I didn’t think that was possible 

Cabby, get off the fence and tell us how you really feel.

Until then, not heard one of your jokes in ages. Lighten the mood with one.

There Goes the Album........although I do hear Magic tones so all might not be lost

Listened to it again.  I do like it more each time.  

• Like 1

I can’t get it out of my head, to be honest. :lol:

• Like 1

@Paolo's Circus Story was very dissapointed with HS, I fear now that he's not coming back....

:D

• Like 1