Greasy Lake Community

There goes my miracle

I quite liked it. Bruce is 70 this year and has had a lot of time to reflect on his life/career so I fully expect an album quite soft and chilled. He can save the rage for the E-Street band stuff he has written. Musically and lyrically Bruce isn’t going to appeal to a new audience with this, unlike Wrecking Ball. 

Many bands and artists have become their own tribute acts. Bruce still puts out new material, for me I doubt he will ever stop. 

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jsgunnell said:

I quite liked it. Bruce is 70 this year and has had a lot of time to reflect on his life/career so I fully expect an album quite soft and chilled. He can save the rage for the E-Street band stuff he has written. Musically and lyrically Bruce isn’t going to appeal to a new audience with this, unlike Wrecking Ball. 

Many bands and artists have become their own tribute acts. Bruce still puts out new material, for me I doubt he will ever stop. 

I agree with your sentiment, except why did he sit and sit on this album?

I have high hopes for the album. There goes my miracle is even stronger then Hello Sunshine. Finally somethings new and fresh instead of the same old formula.

13 minutes ago, slane85 said:

The answer will probably be that it's not that great.  He's been blocked for years and he had to put something out.

This is basically an archive release.

The forthcoming BITUSA box will go through the roof.

15 hours ago, Ann Jones said:

I posted this on another thread, but I think it fits here, as the importance of music and what it does for us has been mentioned.9EAA5767-A2FF-4B37-827A-001F44B88F90.thumb.jpeg.eb8bd6aeb5bcc02a9534abd9fe45f0bc.jpeg

I love this Ann, didn't see it on another thread so thanks for reposting.  As a music lover, so well said.

Also agree with you above when you say the song is a beautiful tribute to his mom, if that is the case.

Having said that, instead of growing on me I now think the song grates on me.  But still got the impeccable Hello Sunshine so no harm no foul.  

11 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Yes I thiink the criticisms on his 'light' lyrics are a bit harsh for HS.

You know I always liked that empty road
No place to be and miles to go
But miles to go is miles away
Hello sunshine, won't you stay?

I love the atmosphere of this song,a song that suggest sweetness and light but in reality has a more thoughtful side to it.

Agree, I don't see the lyrics as light, weak, any word really that would describe it that way.  

I think they're pretty powerful myself.  

37 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

The answer will probably be that it's not that great.  He's been blocked for years and he had to put something out.

This is basically an archive release.

The forthcoming BITUSA box will go through the roof.

I think we all have a very high expectation from The Boss but in recent years I have just been glad for any new material or even the revisits of his previous work. 

Could be much worse. Watching Madonna performing at the Eurovision song contest, and... I' m so... INCREDIBLY glad that Bruce isn't doing this stuff but releasing new and ageappropriate music. Madonna came across as desperate and embarrassing.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Could be much worse. Watching Madonna performing at the Eurovision song contest, and... I' m so... INCREDIBLY glad that Bruce isn't doing this stuff but releasing new and ageappropriate music. Madonna came across as desperate and embarrassing.

You should be in the Palace. We have soup, crisps, beer and wine.

1 hour ago, slane85 said:

Because if this song is an indication of the rest of the album, he also knows it sucks?

2 hours ago, slane85 said:

Because he wanted to prioritise the autobiography and the Broadway stint, and he was right to do so. Now is the right time to release the album, and I am quite confident it will be a cracker.

51 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Because if this song is an indication of the rest of the album, he also knows it sucks?

Ouch. 

Just heard it again on E Street Radio.  It took a few listens, but I really do like it a lot.  Absolutely love Hello Sunshine.   Can’t wait for the album.  

51 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Ouch. 

Just heard it again on E Street Radio.  It took a few listens, but I really do like it a lot.  Absolutely love Hello Sunshine.   Can’t wait for the album.  

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I do like Hello Sunshine. That hits a nice spot.

If this song was was the music Springsteen’s career was based on, none of us would know him. He never would have been signed to a label.

14 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I do like Hello Sunshine. That hits a nice spot.

If this song was was the music Springsteen’s career was based on, none of us would know him. He never would have been signed to a label.

Maybe.  Maybe not.   Doesn’t matter really, as that’s not the case.  

Fair enough if you don’t like it.  Your opinion is of course just as valid as anyone else’s.  Point is, so are the opinions of those who love/like it. 

I guess it’s the absolute declaration of ‘this song sucks,’ when others have said they liked/loved it, hit me the wrong way.   

There are one or two songs of his I really do not like.  At all.  These are songs that others really love.  Clearly those songs, (or any song for that matter) don’t ‘suck,’ just because I don’t like them.  

Maybe you’ll change your mind about this song. Sometimes that happens.  Or maybe it’ll become one you could ‘take or leave.’  Or maybe you’ll always hate it, and think it ‘sucks.’  

As has been said a bazillion times; music is subjective.  I’ve heard someone say they don’t like Thunder Road and don’t know what all the fuss is about, that BTR is “overrated.”  And so on. 

You can’t get ten fans in a room who agree on what’s “great.”   Yes, different strokes for different folks; no ‘supposing’ about it.  

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.   Doesn’t matter really, as that’s not the case.  

Fair enough if you don’t like it.  Your opinion is of course just as valid as anyone else’s.  Point is, so are the opinions of those who love/like it. 

I guess it’s the absolute declaration of ‘this song sucks,’ when others have said they liked/loved it, hit me the wrong way.   

There are one or two songs of his I really do not like.  At all.  These are songs that others really love.  Clearly those songs, (or any song for that matter) don’t ‘suck,’ just because I don’t like them.  

Maybe you’ll change your mind about this song. Sometimes that happens.  Or maybe it’ll become one you could ‘take or leave.’  Or maybe you’ll always hate it, and think it ‘sucks.’  

As has been said a bazillion times; music is subjective.  I’ve heard someone say they don’t like Thunder Road and don’t know what all the fuss is about, that BTR is “overrated.”  And so on. 

You can’t get ten fans in a room who agree on what’s “great.”   Yes, different strokes for different folks; no ‘supposing’ about it.  

Also, no supposing about this song. It sucks.

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

First of all, given that the likes of David Ackles was signed to a label and given four, I think, LPs to finally produce a hit, I doubt that assertion is correct. 

But almost the same could be said of pretty much any two songs off Nebraska. Oh, sure, he might've been signed, and many of the folks on here would know of him, at least, if not his work with anything like the kind of detail we do now, but he more likely would have ended up with a career like, oh, Nick Drake maybe? or John Hiatt or John Prine or something. Fine careers, to be sure—well, Hiatt's and Prine's, at least—but not world-wide superstars. 

Let’s be honest. Nebraska is a superior album of songs for that genre.  Now, you may not like that genre. But it is superior for the genre it exists in. He could have had a long career making album after album of this type of music, along the lines of the guys you named. This song (and I understand it is one song of an album that we have only heard one other song from) is not superior. It is a subpar, run of the mill, outtake from a subpar album (WOAD) that probably wouldn’t have seen the light of day if it hadn’t been recorded by Bruce Springsteen.

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

It is a subpar, run of the mill, outtake from a subpar album (WOAD) that probably wouldn’t have seen the light of day if it hadn’t been recorded by Bruce Springsteen.

When was it confirmed that this is a WOAD outtake?

2 hours ago, Jertucky said:

Let’s be honest. Nebraska is a superior album of songs for that genre.  Now, you may not like that genre. But it is superior for the genre it exists in. He could have had a long career making album after album of this type of music, along the lines of the guys you named.

And thank God he didn't. I love Nebraska but the thing I admire most about Bruce is his willingness to try something new, as, of course Nebraska was when it came out. 

I had all but given up hope of new stuff, but here we are and I am excited.

21 hours ago, MacBruce said:

We have only heard two songs, one of which it was generally agreed had some great lyrics. He stated several of the songs on Western Stars will be character driven and that is what we will almost certainly get. Like every good Bruce record there will be a variety and a range of styles. I like Elvis Costello but he is not in the same class as Springsteen and he would be the first to admit it.

I’m not really sure Springsteen would admit it though

6 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I disagree that he wouldn't have been signed. Lush pop ballads, especially with an earworm soaring chorus like this were regular chart topping fodder in the 70's. Infact, I'd say if this was released in 1975 it would've done better on the charts than the song Born To Run. But I agree the career would probably be consigned to a " that guy with that song in the 70's" type thing rather than the multi decade career Bruce has enjoyed.

Columbia was ready to ditch Bruce back in the 70's too, on the back of a second album many in the fan base consider to be one of his greater works.

Archived