Recommended Posts

"Skies above" rhyming with "my love" :huh:

C'mon man, you're Bruce Springsteen for goodness sake.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said this is very much in the WOAD oeuvre and thankfully the Kingdom of Days quality rather than Outlaw Pete or Queen of the Supermarket. Not as fond of it as Hello Sunshine but really enjoy his singing and makes me excited for the album. Hopefully all tunes will be of the same quality as these first 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

"Skies above" rhyming with "my love" :huh:

C'mon man, you're Bruce Springsteen for goodness sake.

He was using the Rhyming Dictionary again... :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is he emphasizing those poor lyrics in the video is beyond me. This isn't Blinded by The Light, where it could have been useful... 

And the horse stands still, as the background clouds move, and we are actually seeing an animation creating a continuous scene. It's a stroboscopic video with karaoke style lyrics, so bizarre... It makes my head spin. The video, and the song. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

"Skies above" rhyming with "my love" :huh:

C'mon man, you're Bruce Springsteen for goodness sake.

I think it's a fair comment to say his lyrics over the last 10 years have been average at best. Magic was good but genuinely they are basic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Why is he emphasizing those poor lyrics in the video is beyond me. This isn't Blinded by The Light, where it could have been useful... 

Because it's the industry standard for a mainstream artist to release a lyric video for a single.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lyrics a bit non descript, the verse and bridge parts haven't registered much after two listens.

But, my God, that soaring chorus has given me a buzz. An earworm after two listens is a good effort in the pop music business.

Having said that, neither song so far has given me the unambiguous Bruce gut punch that he has delivered me at least once a record since I became a fan. I hope one or better still more of those suckers are awaiting my ears on the album proper.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, borntorunsean said:

I think it's a fair comment to say his lyrics over the last 10 years have been average at best. Magic was good but genuinely they are basic.

I guess lyrics (or even meaning) are not the main focus of Western Stars. Quite the opposite. Let's face it: in the first two songs we got to hear so far redundancy abounds and full sentences are as sparse as it gets. Orchestration and vocals is probably what this project is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love and respect Springsteen with all my heart, but this is not good and it saddens me for a number of reasons.

I would bet decent money that this is a leftover from WOAD. 

 

I always see WOAD as a plea/love note to Patti; at the time there was stuff in the media about an affair and there are a lot of repentful  lyrics in WOAD as there are in this song.

 

The fact that this song diverges quite dramatically from Hello Sunshine and the fact that Springsteen has said that this album is character driven doesn't give the signal of a coherent album. Almost as though we are getting another high hopes.... Which is also kind of reflected in Springsteen distancing himself from it all ready with the promise of a ESB album (maybe he doesn't want to get old as quickly as he thought).

I just wish he would get back to character driven songs. Stop crooning, pick up an acoustic guitar and do some gnarly Johnny Cash-type final albums!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of orchestration. What is bugging me is the second 'Walking Away' (both times). The 'Away' bit should be lower … haven't got a piano here so can't tell you which note. He keeps the same note and it bugs me.  It should be Awa - ay (lower) then Awa-AY (even lower). 

Can you not hear that, Bruce? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I love and respect Springsteen with all my heart, but this is not good and it saddens me for a number of reasons.

I would bet decent money that this is a leftover from WOAD. 

 

I always see WOAD as a plea/love note to Patti; at the time there was stuff in the media about an affair and there are a lot of repentful  lyrics in WOAD as there are in this song.

 

The fact that this song diverges quite dramatically from Hello Sunshine and the fact that Springsteen has said that this album is character driven doesn't give the signal of a coherent album. Almost as though we are getting another high hopes.... Which is also kind of reflected in Springsteen distancing himself from it all ready with the promise of a ESB album (maybe he doesn't want to get old as quickly as he thought).

I just wish he would get back to character driven songs. Stop crooning, pick up an acoustic guitar and do some gnarly Johnny Cash-type final albums!

I do think it’s odd that he’s talked about E Street material before this is even out. He knows the type of swooning and kerfuffle that will cause.

My bet is that he never tours this album and we get E Street album this year plus tour next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love both songs so far. The man is almost 70 and still making good music.

Glad he's doing different things now, those simple lyrics and melodies are probably alot harder to write than we think.

Dylan explains repeating the past in this clip, 30 seconds in, which I think applies to Bruce aswell.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't necessarily see that brief mention of him writing an album's worth of songs for the band as him distancing himself from or discounting this record. Maybe that's what a lot of fans hear in it because a lot of fans would rather have another E Street record than a solo album. It's not exactly new that he's mentioned another project in discussion about a current one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is a good degree of underlying darkness to this new song

its still Bruce

  • Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frank03 said:

Love both songs so far. The man is almost 70 and still making good music.

Glad he's doing different things now, those simple lyrics and melodies are probably alot harder to write than we think.

Dylan explains repeating the past in this clip, 30 seconds in, which I think applies to Bruce aswell.

 

Although Bruce was 63 when he wrote that.  Nothing new since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I don't necessarily see that brief mention of him writing an album's worth of songs for the band as him distancing himself from or discounting this record. Maybe that's what a lot of fans here in it because a lot of fans would rather have another E Street record than a solo album. It's not exactly new that he's mentioned another project in discussion about a current one.

I want another TRUE solo record. As sparse as Tom Joad. That will suit his life stage. It's timeless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of this WOAD sound-alike commentary is a negative for me. I've personally played that album more than Magic over the journey. For some reason, Tomorrow Never Knows makes my soul soar like no one's business and both these songs are in that ballpark. Although neither has quite done it for me like Tomorrow does just yet.

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, borntorunsean said:

I think it's a fair comment to say his lyrics over the last 10 years have been average at best. Magic was good but genuinely they are basic.

Some decent lyrics on WB but I’d agree Magic has been the high point lyrically.

Hey Blue Eyes was pretty good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do not post  the song.  Posts deleted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I want another TRUE solo record. As sparse as Tom Joad. That will suit his life stage. It's timeless.

 

I like what I’m hearing now but, yes, I’d love a gnarly, sparse, story driven record.

Hoping we’ll get the stories and the melodies on the deeper cuts from Western Stars too.

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

there is a good degree of underlying darkness to this new song

its still Bruce

Daisey, you are so right....it drips of the darkness and lost time, It moves me as much as hello Sunshine.

In my current state, this album is going to be important.

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actually gets worse on repeated listens; drum loops etc. Might have been 'cool' in 2010 but it's so clearly the added titivating of a producer and it doesn't fit on what was touted to be a 'lush' country album.

If your going to make a country album, make a country album. I'm sure the simplicity would be great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

If you're going to make a country album, make a country album.

Has Bruce himself said that he was going to make a country album?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Has Bruce himself said that he was going to make a country album?

That was all the langauge in the media a couple of years back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.