Tom-Joad

Songs you like but make you feel uncomfortable

Here’s what I mean.

The Clash - White Riot

I know Strummer said he saw a politically engaged black community in London and wished the white youth would be as politically involved. The last thing someone would accuse Joe Strummer of would be racism. But the song does make me uncomfortable.

”White riot / I want to riot / White riot / A riot of my own”

Another one is For the love of Ivy by The Gun Club.

Again, no reason to suspect Jeffrey Lee Pierce is a racist and it’s a song about The Cramps’ Poison Ivy. But what the hella was he thinking when he wrote this?

”Jawbone eat and jaw bone talk / jawbone eat you with a knife and fork / I was hunting for niggers out in the dark / When all of the sudden I had a better thought / Let’s go hunt Ivy”

In a different way to those three....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Here’s what I mean.

The Clash - White Riot

I know Strummer said he saw a politically engaged black community in London and wished the white youth would be as politically involved. The last thing someone would accuse Joe Strummer of would be racism. But the song does make me uncomfortable.

”White riot / I want to riot / White riot / A riot of my own”

Was that maybe not Joe's intention?

Not to cause discomfort as such, but maybe s shock tactic of sorts?

31 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Was that maybe not Joe's intention?

Not to cause discomfort as such, but maybe s shock tactic of sorts?

Could have been...

37 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

I love that album so much! A friend of mine got to meet Alan Vega. Says he was the nicest guy in the world.

• Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

that ring gives me the willies

Billy Holiday strange fruit

i never knew what lynching was before this song :(

btw i want to Acknowledge that Welby educated me on both this and frankie's teardrop

sorry i can't enbed a video but the link works

• Like 1

ok please dpnt shoot me

because im watching that Vietnam war doco and im like 30 something years.older and ive read born on the 4th of July

see but unlike my buddy President Reagan i knew BITUSA was an anti war song and my 14 year old self simplified the Vietnam war as being a war aganist the spread  of communism and i had never heard that blind faith in your leaders business 

i didn't know all the support Bruce was giving the Vietnam vet back then

so the line went to kill the yellow man made me uncomfortable because it was obviously Vietnam - plus the video

oh God i have another one but i might have to get my 14 year old self very drunk first :o because its embrassing

see some people (and i dont have anyone in particular in mind) but people say oh i learn nothing from Bruce, he doesn't change my politics

but i did learn and continued to learn,more from a 3 min record that i ever learnt in school

• Bruuuuce! 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Then, of course, there’s

'Fire' has been discussed here many times.  It shouldn't make anyone feel "uncomfortable".  
I was the girl in 'Fire' many times in my teenage years.   For me, it's all about desire hampered by apprehension and worry.  What if someone sees us?  What if he only wants sex and then dumps me?  What if I get pregnant? 

Are you OK with the song when the Pointer Sisters sing it?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Rizla said:

That's a good point and one which I'd never considered in all honesty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

'Fire' has been discussed here many times.  It shouldn't make anyone feel "uncomfortable".  
I was the girl in 'Fire' many times in my teenage years.   For me, it's all about desire hampered by apprehension and worry.  What if someone sees us?  What if he only wants sex and then dumps me?  What if I get pregnant? 

Not at all. The song is a collection of all that is wrong with how people look at consent. There’s nothing romantic about not taking no or thinking that no doesn’t mean no.

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ok please dpnt shoot me

because im watching that Vietnam war doco and im like 30 something years.older and ive read born on the 4th of July

see but unlike my buddy President Reagan i knew BITUSA was an anti war song and my 14 year old self simplified the Vietnam war as being a war aganist the spread  of communism and i had never heard that blind faith in your leaders business 

i didn't know all the support Bruce was giving the Vietnam vet back then

so the line went to kill the yellow man made me uncomfortable because it was obviously Vietnam - plus the video

oh God i have another one but i might have to get my 14 year old self very drunk first :o because its embrassing

see some people (and i dont have anyone in particular in mind) but people say oh i learn nothing from Bruce, he doesn't change my politics

but i did learn and continued to learn,more from a 3 min record that i ever learnt in school

I don’t have a problem with the “yellow man” line. In makes sense in the context. That’s what the character was told to do. In those terms.

31 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Not at all. The song is a collection of all that is wrong with how people look at consent. There’s nothing romantic about not taking no or thinking that no doesn’t mean no.

The door's open, but the ride, it ain't free.

Isn't that part of the same "no doesn't always mean no" scenario?

1 hour ago, sonicramone said:

The door's open, but the ride, it ain't free.

Isn't that part of the same "no doesn't always mean no" scenario?

I never interpreted it that way. I always understood as meaning that going along on the ride would mean having to give up on certain things. Freedom means getting rid of your shackles no matter how comfortable they might be.

Or it might be about non-consensual sex. Personally, I don’t see it.

I'm a big fan of Morrisey, but he's taking a hammering here in the UK for his allegiance to a fascist group.  He's insisting he's not a racist but I'm caught on the horns of a dilemma here.  Can't listen to his music in the same way at the moment, so I won't.

• Like 1

Spandau Ballet take their name from an execution technique carried out in Spandau prison.  Prisoners would be hung by the neck, and as they died they would twitch on the end of their noose.  Hence, Spandau ballet.  

I'm amazed that anyone plays their music on the radio.  It pretty much disgusts me.

• Like 1

Radio still plays Oliver's Army.  When will they bleep out the 'n' word?

Total hypocrisy by the BBC who sack people for less.

42 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Radio still plays Oliver's Army.  When will they bleep out the 'n' word?

Total hypocrisy by the BBC who sack people for less.

I've often wondered about that, are they letting it go cos of the context in which it is used or because it sounds like he's saying "ligger"?

49 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Spandau Ballet take their name from an execution technique carried out in Spandau prison.  Prisoners would be hung by the neck, and as they died they would twitch on the end of their noose.  Hence, Spandau ballet.  

I'm amazed that anyone plays their music on the radio.  It pretty much disgusts me.

I suppose "Joy Division" is similar?

I guess because of JD's ouvre it, I dunno, captures the bleakness of their art.

I knew where Spandu's name came from but in the punk and post-punk era there's a load of inappropriate/quasi-offensive band names.

Apropos nothing Tony Hadley's brother in law lived in my hometown. He married a local girl and, at their wedding, I ended up in a decent after hours drinking session with the well manicured front man.

We played the drinking game "Jacks" into the wee small hours.

Of course, that was before he came out as a Tory...............

10 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I don’t have a problem with the “yellow man” line. In makes sense in the context. That’s what the character was told to do. In those terms.

yes but you were never a 14 year old member of the young nationals ? ;)

42 minutes ago, Rizla said:

You're missing the point that the girl doesn't want to say "no".  She desperately wants to say "yes", and her body language is telling him so.
And nowhere in the song does the boyfriend not take no for an answer. 
It's an erotic and sexy song, it's about natural desires and emotions and it brings back memories of my youth :P 
I won't have it spoiled by this modern puritanism that always seems to want to read something nasty into everything.

How do you know she doesn’t want to say no? All you have is the protagonist’s point of view. The very idea that she’s saying no but her body is (apparently) saying something else is worrisome enough. If she is saying no, she is saying no. There’s nothing puritanical about consent. You may choose to believe that the character who’s saying no (male or female) is feeling conflicted and that point of view would probably make for a better song. But that’s not what Fire is about. 

Young Girl, Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon, Down In The Boondocks, Having My Baby.