Tom-Joad

Songs you like but make you feel uncomfortable

5 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Fair points, well made.

I've completely gone off Morello after he declared his admiration for Bobby Sands (while working for Bruce, as it happens).  We discussed it briefly in the Circuit but nobody seemed bothered.  It still p****s me off, and I can't listen to the Bruce songs with him on it.

Nobody? ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eileen said:

Nobody? ;)

:)

I used it as a figure of speech. 

I do remember your comments about first hand experiences during the Troubles.

• Like 2

I wasn't there during that time … well, not the really, really bad stuff. I was 93-99. Blimey, I was there 6 years, thought it was 5.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 6:49 PM, Tom-Joad said:

It’s about a horny protagonist who doesn’t take no for an answer and thinks he can second guess what the other person is saying. It’s about a protagonist who doesn’t know what consent is and thinks that when someone says no they mean yes because he feels it. It’s a one sided view of things and there isn’t one single line about how the other person really feels.

I think it's simply about mutual sexual attraction and desire, or, as the title calls it, 'Fire'. 
That incredible feeling, like a bolt of electricity, when both of you fancy each other rotten and you touch or kiss.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I think it's simply about mutual sexual attraction and desire, or, as the title calls it, 'Fire'. 
That incredible feeling, like a bolt of electricity, when both of you fancy each other rotten and you touch or kiss.

It may just be a personal thing but I'd rather someone fancies me clean and fresh, rather than rotten. That's just weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

That’s fine. People will interpret songs differently. I just can’t see it that way.

4 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

It may just be a personal thing but I'd rather someone fancies me clean and fresh, rather than rotten. That's just weird.

You've never lived.......

• Haha 3

On 5/28/2019 at 4:48 AM, Promise61 said:

Fair points, well made.

I've completely gone off Morello after he declared his admiration for Bobby Sands (while working for Bruce, as it happens).  We discussed it briefly in the Circuit but nobody seemed bothered.  It still p****s me off, and I can't listen to the Bruce songs with him on it.

i think from memory a thread got towed

i didn't like him before than and that just put the nail in the coffin

that was the thread that really got me into the old underworld

On 5/26/2019 at 5:20 AM, Tom-Joad said:

I got to see them live and it’s easily in my top5 shows I’ve seen. No only do I think they’re songs aren’t sexist, I think they’re the very opposite of it. 

I saw them twice myself, once on the Stay Sick! tour and then as "Creatures From The Black Leather Lagoon" about the time of the release of Look Mom, No Head! (10/2/91 at Slim's in San Francisco, just found the ticket stub). The Stay Sick! show was better, had much better sound for one thing.

I love the Cramps and they sure were not sexist! They were a married couple who DID love sex though. Big deal. Rock and roll meant fucking anyway. They were like that, like the roots of it (like Jerry Lee or Little Richard was)

And I refuse to believe that the Gun Club was racist also. Or that even For The Love Of Ivy is. It's one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums of all time. It would be too impossible for me to try and explain though, esp. without being misunderstood (and since I'm anti-racist, I won't even try).

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 10:49 AM, Tom-Joad said:

It’s about a horny protagonist who doesn’t take no for an answer and thinks he can second guess what the other person is saying. It’s about a protagonist who doesn’t know what consent is and thinks that when someone says no they mean yes because he feels it. It’s a one sided view of things and there isn’t one single line about how the other person really feels.

that sounds a lot more "rapey" than I hear the song myself.

What you described just reminded me of the AC/DC song Let Me Put My Love Into You, now that's got some really bad lines:

"don't you struggle

don't you fight

don't you worry 'cause it's your turn tonight"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

that sounds a lot more "rapey" than I hear the song myself.

What you described just reminded me of the AC/DC song Let Me Put My Love Into You, now that's got some really bad lines:

"don't you struggle

don't you fight

don't you worry 'cause it's your turn tonight"

ewwwwwww

think I'll give that one a miss sorry Angus

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ewwwwwww

think I'll give that one a miss sorry Angus

yeah that's pretty dire

and on a classic album too - Back In Black (I'm part of the "nuts" who believe that some songs like You Shook Me All Night Long were written by Bon)

I originally mentioned (before deleting it) also a song Van Halen did, their great first album, called Feel Your Love Tonight;

in it, Dave apologizes about going too far, then brags to guys at the bar about his date rape, or so it seems. Yecch.

We're gettin' funny in the back of my car
I'm sorry honey if I took it just a little too far, yes
Ah too, too far
So I, I told the fellas out behind the bar
Told them to tell you honey just how fine you are, yes
Uh yes, you are

and I really love the album overall. (The songs I like least are this one and On Fire; Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Atomic Punk, Little Dreamer, Runnin With The Devil, I love those...Jamie's Cryin' is good...)

Maybe I don't want to think about something like the lyrics above here,
in the same way that I always loved Fire and don't want to lose my love for it (and Fire is a MUCH better song to me than Feel Your Love Tonight, by far).
I always loved Fire...since I was a kid....
  • Like 1

On 26 May 2019 at 12:53 PM, Lampi said:

Many songs by The Cramps, including song titles (like: What's Inside A Girl, Can Your Pussy Do The Dog, Like A Bad Girl Should) and lyrics, their stage act and a sleeve like the one posted below, can be considered as sexist, especially in the Me Too age.

It doesn't make me uncomfortable myself but I guess that could be different for others.

R-1192460-1472574878-5584.jpeg.jpg

I used to listen to them a lot - first 4 or 5 records - and was lucky to see the original line up a couple of times (including a double bill with The Fall!) For me they were all about that whole voodoo sex thing, and although Ivy fronted a lot of it up anyone who saw Lux Interior stripped to the waist squirming around in a pair of shiny black plastic trousers probably has a different perspective. Took me years to recover. Now having flashbacks. Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

And I refuse to believe that the Gun Club was racist also. Or that even For The Love Of Ivy is. It's one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums of all time. It would be too impossible for me to try and explain though, esp. without being misunderstood (and since I'm anti-racist, I won't even try).

I’ve had this conversation countless times with friends that are also fans. Never understood why on Earth he wrote that line...

I used to play this song live with one of my bands but I’d always sing something else. I just couldn’t bring myself to sing that line.

20 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

and I really love the album overall. (The songs I like least are this one and On Fire; Ain't Talkin' Bout Love, Atomic Punk, Little Dreamer, Runnin With The Devil, I love those...Jamie's Cryin' is good...)

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love and Little Dreamer are two of my fave Van Halen tunes (especially Little Dreamer).