• 1 points
    • 2 points
    • 3 points
  11. 11. yvan: Cover Me

• 1 points
    • 2 points
    • 3 points

3 minutes ago, LoverInTheCold said:

It's always been one of my favorite unreleased outtakes. Tremendous, complex and nuanced storytelling. There's an earlier version called James Lincoln Dear. Similar to the Nebraska songs, there's not a whole lot going on musically. It's kind of a repetitive dirge, but the story just sucks you right in. Bruce is so good with characters on the ropes, with their backs against the wall and at the edge of societal acceptance.

very true, songs with stories like that are the best of bruce

So got to listen to each track twice today, heading to and from work.

Can't lie... There is definitely one track stuck in my head right now which I really enjoyed.

Also, must confess that @LoverInTheCold's version of Richfield Whistle really stands out, because I don't think I've ever heard the original. Yes, I can hear it's a Springsteen composition, for sure, but as I can't compare it to another version it sounds like an original to me, sort of... Very cool.

• Like 2

Once the voting ends and a winner is declared, I will most likely return to my exile from the lake. A select few have means of contacting me so when the next contest rolls around, I ask that one of them let me know. I already claim Part Man, Part Monkey!

• Sad 3

57 minutes ago, Junglelander said:

Once the voting ends and a winner is declared, I will most likely return to my exile from the lake. A select few have means of contacting me so when the next contest rolls around, I ask that one of them let me know. I already claim Part Man, Part Monkey!

That’s an odd post...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

That’s an odd post...

Indeed. Stick around fella, there’s new music and all sorts to discuss and get excited about over the next couple of years. Enjoyed your cover btw. Actually, while I have the chance, I really enjoyed listening to all the songs. Wrong to single anyone out (especially as mine was clearly the best :P) but I agree with whoever said there’s a lot of talent on the lake. Good work all!

• Like 2

Basically, I rarely visit the lake. I like participating in these kinds of contests. I’m just asking those that have means to contact me to let me know when the next one gets announced. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wolfinthepines said:

Indeed. Stick around fella, there’s new music and all sorts to discuss and get excited about over the next couple of years. Enjoyed your cover btw. Actually, while I have the chance, I really enjoyed listening to all the songs. Wrong to single anyone out (especially as mine was clearly the best :P) but I agree with whoever said there’s a lot of talent on the lake. Good work all!

Thanks! I enjoys yours and everyone else’s as well

2 hours ago, LoverInTheCold said:

It's always been one of my favorite unreleased outtakes. Tremendous, complex and nuanced storytelling. There's an earlier version called James Lincoln Dear. Similar to the Nebraska songs, there's not a whole lot going on musically. It's kind of a repetitive dirge, but the story just sucks you right in. Bruce is so good with characters on the ropes, with their backs against the wall and at the edge of societal acceptance.

I've never heard it either but it really reminded me of the Nebraska stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I've never heard it either but it really reminded me of the Nebraska stuff. 

BITUSA outtake I believe. Might be part of the fabled upcoming box? Hope so!

It's one of the songs from the Hollywood Hills demos recorded in 83 that included Shut Out The Light, County Fair, Sugarland, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

It's one of the songs from the Hollywood Hills demos recorded in 83 that included Shut Out The Light, County Fair, Sugarland, etc.

I was just thinking about County Fair the other day. What a perfect Summer song.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

29 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I think Unsatisfied Heart and The Klansman among many others come from around the same time too. Unbelievable stuff. 

• Like 3

Great job everyone!  I haven't voted yet because I really want to sit down and listen to each one without interruptions.  But I think they are all great!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Junglelander said:

Why so sad @Daisey Jeep? You are one of the few that can contact me. I’m always just an email away;). If I must elaborate more, I have noticed more times than none when we aren’t doing these contests, there really isn’t much else going on. My comments usually get lost in flood (see what I did there?) of all the others. I’m not angry nor sad about it. I’m not always easy to respond to. It’s just the way it is and I’m totally ok with that. I do pop in randomly to see what’s going on and if I have something to say, I say it. Normally, I don’t and move on and I’ll drop back in in a few weeks or months. 

• Like 3

Great job everyone.  There’s some real talent here is right JF!

• Like 1

I know this will probably make me unpopular and it’s msybe not very sportsmanlike, but here it goes.

I pushed for this to happen and now I kind of regret it. In my mind, naively, this was going to be a coming together of people from this online community who, for the fun of it, would give their best covering a Bruce song. For the most part, I like this community and throughout the year, we share all kinds of stuff and receive as well as show support for each other.

This isn’t just aimed at Junglelander but the idea of using something like this for self-promotion when you have no interest in taking part in this community, really bothers me. A lot of active members submitted their songs and decided to take part in this knowing that this is supppsed to be a manifestation of an existing community. Not a business opportunity.

Like I said, this will probably make me unpopular because I’m not being too kind but honestly, this is really bugging me having been the one that pushed for the contest to happen. When someone with no interest in being a part of this community tries their luck and participates, this is no longer a fun manifestation of the community. And that’s really what I hoped this would have been.

Rant over.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I know this will probably make me unpopular and it’s msybe not very sportsmanlike, but here it goes.

I pushed for this to happen and now I kind of regret it. In my mind, naively, this was going to be a coming together of people from this online community who, for the fun of it, would give their best covering a Bruce song. For the most part, I like this community and throughout the year, we share all kinds of stuff and receive as well as show support for each other.

This isn’t just aimed at Junglelander but the idea of using something like this for self-promotion when you have no interest in taking part in this community, really bothers me. A lot of active members submitted their songs and decided to take part in this knowing that this is supppsed to be a manifestation of an existing community. Not a business opportunity.

Like I said, this will probably make me unpopular because I’m not being too kind but honestly, this is really bugging me having been the one that pushed for the contest to happen. When someone with no interest in being a part of this community tries their luck and participates, this is no longer a fun manifestation of the community. And that’s really what I hoped this would have been.

Rant over.

I apologize for making you feel that way. I would never in a million years intentionally make someone feel like that. I have never seen this as a business opportunity. I love being in the studio and working on things. Even Bruce covers. I kinda prefer them over anything else. I wasn’t trying to self promote. That’s me just trying to make an attempt to converse. If that bothers you then I can definitely stop. Again, I apologize. Like I stated above,  I have tried to take part in the community many times. I will comment on things if I have something to say. I don’t feel that your feelings on things are unpopular or unsportsmanlike at all. I thank you for addressing your concerns

16 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

Rant over.

I can't really comment on anybody else's motivations, but I think it's been a lot of fun. I just love listening to Bruce covers and I'm really thrilled with everybody's submissions. And the cherry on top is hearing from some Lakers who have never heard a deep outtake like Richfield Whistle before. For that reason alone, it's been worth it. Contest or not, I think a continuous Bruce covers thread for anybody who wanted to participate year round, no matter their skill level, would be really cool.

• Like 3

you know when a tour starts people turn up from the land of the lost

lots of people ive never heard of

all of a sudden im unfamilar with 70% of tje board because they predate the darnkess box set

this is possibly similar 

and if someone only pops in now and then, well at least they still pop in, msybe they will linger longer each time

think of the people who have just faded away altogether and for the most part most of us have no idea where they have gone or if some terrible thing has happened 

also - and im only speaking for me - but some people have more er um fuller real 3D lives

id die of loneliness with out you all

i live in a town where i know no one 

im going through a recluse phase just now but you guys keep me centered

before i found GL i had no one to shear my fandom with - thats like owning the golden goose but having no one who wanted the golden egg

Bruce and I were fine on our own.but we didn't really have a whole lot of fun

also how often to people say well im off ? (and im not even talking about the FC) even i did that once or twice - but im still here

in-little-wort-but-its-ok-they-know-me-here-10707073.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

all of a sudden im unfamilar with 70% of tje board because they predate the darnkess box set

this is possibly similar 

and if someone only pops in now and then, well at least they still pop in, msybe they will linger longer each time

think of the people who have just faded away altogether and for the most part most of us have no idea where they have gone or if some terrible thing has happened 

also - and im only speaking for me - but some people have more er um fuller real 3D lives

before i found GL i had no one to shear my fandom with - thats like owning the golden goose but having no one who wanted the golden egg

also how often to people say well im off ? (and im not even talking about the FC) even i did that once or twice - but im still here

I’m not upset with joad on this at all. He is entitled to feel how he wants. I may not agree with all of his points but that doesn’t mean I’m angry or hate him because he had the guts to speak up. If anything, I makes me respect him. It all just means we have differing opinions. I still really dig his rendition of Nothing Man and wish nothing bad upon him. Like I stated before, if I drop by and have something to say then I say it. If not, then I move on. We all have our own lives outside of here. Maybe I’ll sit the next one out as I want it to remain fun for all involved. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I apologize for making you feel that way. I would never in a million years intentionally make someone feel like that. I have never seen this as a business opportunity. I love being in the studio and working on things. Even Bruce covers. I kinda prefer them over anything else. I wasn’t trying to self promote. That’s me just trying to make an attempt to converse. If that bothers you then I can definitely stop. Again, I apologize. Like I stated above,  I have tried to take part in the community many times. I will comment on things if I have something to say. I don’t feel that your feelings on things are unpopular or unsportsmanlike at all. I thank you for addressing your concerns

Thanks. Well, you just said out loud what others just do. I’m sorry you feel like your opinions get drowned here. When the place is busy it can get like that. And I certainly know where you’re coming from. When we create something, we want people to hear it. I’ve shared links here to some of the albums I’ve made and I’ve even shared short stories I’ve written. It’s fine. It’s just that it bothers me when that is the only reason people interact here.

I’m definitely not asking you or anyone else to not share your stuff. On the contrary, I’m asking you and everyone else to not let that be the only reason to post here!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoverInTheCold said:

I can't really comment on anybody else's motivations, but I think it's been a lot of fun. I just love listening to Bruce covers and I'm really thrilled with everybody's submissions. And the cherry on top is hearing from some Lakers who have never heard a deep outtake like Richfield Whistle before. For that reason alone, it's been worth it. Contest or not, I think a continuous Bruce covers thread for anybody who wanted to participate year round, no matter their skill level, would be really cool.

Definitely. An ongoing covers thread has been discussed and I think it would be a great idea!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

this is possibly similar 

Daisey, I couldn't love you more. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable when the whole voting started and was slightly regretting having put one a song in. But, hey it's a competition so there has to be some sort of evaluation process. For some reason your 'Land of the Lost' line really hits home for me. Whatever it takes to bring people in and make them feel welcome and part of something is alright by me.    

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, Junglelander said:

I’m not upset with joad on this at all. He is entitled to feel how he wants. I may not agree with all of his points but that doesn’t mean I’m angry or hate him because he had the guts to speak up. If anything, I makes me respect him. It all just means we have differing opinions. I still really dig his rendition of Nothing Man and wish nothing bad upon him. Like I stated before, if I drop by and have something to say then I say it. If not, then I move on. We all have our own lives outside of here. Maybe I’ll sit the next one out as I want it to remain fun for all involved. 

Mr TJ and i have a friendship.just like that :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Definitely. An ongoing covers thread has been discussed and I think it would be a great idea!

that's a great idea @LoverInTheCold

i have obviously missed that discusion Mr TJ

but i think that would be an awsome thread and maybe i would feel.comfortable sneaking myself in there one day

• Like 1