• 1 points
    • 2 points
    • 3 points
  11. 11. yvan: Cover Me

• 1 points
    • 2 points
    • 3 points

2 hours ago, wolfinthepines said:

Daisey, I couldn't love you more. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable when the whole voting started and was slightly regretting having put one a song in. But, hey it's a competition so there has to be some sort of evaluation process. For some reason your 'Land of the Lost' line really hits home for me. Whatever it takes to bring people in and make them feel welcome and part of something is alright by me.    

:) thank you wolf

for a long time ive wanted to start a thread to try to find our lost members

im afraid (tonight anyway) i can't judge these songs 

so much blood sweat and tears go into these covers

im so proud and in awe of every one of you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

that's a great idea @LoverInTheCold

i have obviously missed that discusion Mr TJ

but i think that would be an awsome thread and maybe i would feel.comfortable sneaking myself in there one day

I was listening to the songs yesterday thinking that we have a decided lack of lady entrants... I'd love to hear you do something DJ.

I was even thinking I'd try next year, something like Liam Neeson's brilliant cover of Van's Coney Island... I can do eet! :D

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

I was listening to the songs yesterday thinking that we have a decided lack of lady entrants... I'd love to hear you do something DJ.

I was even thinking I'd try next year, something like Liam Neeson's brilliant cover of Van's Coney Island... I can do eet! :D

ill be the unfunny comic entry that causes birds to fall from the sky

i may start practicing...

hqdefault-3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Announcing the Lakers Cover Bruce Perpetual (So That Junglelander Will Stick Around) Music Contest!

There, problem solved.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3

amazing talent....truly in awe of you all being rather a newbie to playing guitar.....if i got to this standard of playing i would be more than happy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CosmicKid said:

Announcing the Lakers Cover Bruce Perpetual (So That Junglelander Will Stick Around) Music Contest!

There, problem solved.

I’m around sometimes. I’d just rather dip my toes in the lake sometimes rather than cannon balling in

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That was an hour well spent. I really enjoyed listening to all the songs, such variety as well from the really well known to the almost unheard of!

Great stuff everyone!

20 hours ago, Troublette said:

E think it would be very interesting to see what the first language is for those of you who are not native English speakers!

Thanks for your post!
ClimbingJo, Transpirator and I are french. On the french forum (lohad.fr), we used to do the same constest each year since 2009 and I suggested Karsten it could be good to do it too (Very happy of it!)
Somethimes we try to cover one song but all together, as if we are a band, everybody try to bring something, send his tracks and one of us do the mix

• Like 8

I’m Portuguese but that’s not the reason why I irritatingly didn’t pronounce the last syllables of some words. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Many thanks for all those nice comments

On 5/27/2019 at 11:41 AM, Tom-Joad said:

1. Kitty’s Back: Is that you playing all the instruments? Can’t be easy putting this together! It’s a really complex song and I wish I had the skills to put something like this together.

I confirm the complexity of the structure of this song. I re-arrange the whole thing with a more simple arrangement. The most difficult part was to write this rearrangement. I don't play all instruments ! I play all guitar parts (elec + a short acoustic part). I write organ and bass parts, played by virtual instruments. For drums part, I rely on some blues and jazz drum loops to create something consistent enough, then played by virtual drummer ! For piano part, it is just jazz loops played according to chords sequence. And I had my vocals on that. And there it goes !

20 hours ago, Troublette said:

Two of my favorite Bruce songs are here, Johnny Bye Bye and Kitty's Back. I'm really impressed that you went for it climbing_jo! The rhythm changes throughout are really interesting.I think it would be very interesting to see what the first language is for those of you who are not native English speakers!

Congrats to everyone. They are all a lot of fun to listen to.

Many thanks @Troublette. My mother language is french. Maybe you notice the accent !

I will give my feedback on those very nice covers after a 2nd listening with my dedicate audio headset.At 1st listening, I heard promising  musical parts that deserve an accurate listening (such as guitar playing and balancing on Cover Me and reinterpretations of Nothing Man and Soul Driver)...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, climbing_jo said:

Many thanks for all those nice comments

I confirm the complexity of the structure of this song. I re-arrange the whole thing with a more simple arrangement. The most difficult part was to write this rearrangement. I don't play all instruments ! I play all guitar parts (elec + a short acoustic part). I write organ and bass parts, played by virtual instruments. For drums part, I rely on some blues and jazz drum loops to create something consistent enough, then played by virtual drummer ! For piano part, it is just jazz loops played according to chords sequence. And I had my vocals on that. And there it goes !

Many thanks @Troublette

Now I'm really impressed!

I knew TJ was Portuguese and I thought I remembered that Yvan was French but wasn't sure. The accents just show up on certain words when it's suddenly clear that English isn't the singers first language. It gives the vocals a nice twist. I find languages incredibly hard so I'm always impressed with the number of languages so many in Europe speak.

• Like 3

A little background on my Dancing In The Dark for anyone interested. I started this for the previous contest but submitted an already finished Meeting Across The River for that one. The drums for DITTD were played by a friend (who is primarily a guitar player) a few years earlier for a cover of Dylan's Absolutely Sweet Marie.  I did some cut and paste and made it fit Dancing. It's kind of a wild drum track, as a guitar player I think he accents too much but I like the busyness of it. I played the guitars and bass. It's all recorded on a Tascam DP32 portastudio with a Telecaster through a 1967 Fender Princeton Reverb. I'm fond of small vintage tube amps.

• Like 8

Was really cool getting to listen to all the versions. My top 2 is:

1. Okely Dokely - Open all night

You made me really enjoy a song I think is just okay in its original version.

2. Junglelander - Johnny bye bye

A favorite Bruce song of mine and you did a faithful but not karaoke-ish version of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, next time, we need to get @Redheadedgirl in on this. Despite what she says, she can actually sing. I know, I’ve heard her singing along with my own personal recordings. 

• Haha 1

only  members have voted, we need more! and we need more comments too!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yvan said:

only 19 members had voted when I wrote...  (numeric keypad disabled)

17 hours ago, Junglelander said:

So, next time, we need to get @Redheadedgirl in on this. Despite what she says, she can actually sing. I know, I’ve heard her singing along with my own personal recordings. 

LOL....maybe in a few years time.....and with something better to record on other than my phone .....not good!! but was fun singing along with one of your recordings..certainly made me appreciate Hello Sunshine alot more than i did too....some awkward notes in there..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yvan said:

I voted and still keep listening to them...some amazing entries..got me spurred on to practice alot more thats for sure..great talent...need a Greasy Lake cover version cd.....

• Like 1

Back home after 10 days walking in TJ's country…which is a bit mine, get it from my grand ma…

First of all, I just wanna say that my english isn't fluent enough to give all the subtleties I have in mind when I ear your covers. May be sometimes I'll use the wrong word and give a wrong sense. In avance my apologies if this appens...

Truly had pleasure to ear each of you, there's soul and work in each cover... Everyone can be proud...

climbing_jo... So Guts Guts Guts !!! This tune is so awesome... What a work to cover it. Great sound overall. Love  the guitars, the organ and the piano. A GREAT respect for daring and for the work

Demos... Love how you make the rythm and lead guitars sounds. The horns are in my opinion a bit like in the Rocky's theme, this mix made me smile (happy smile)

Jerm23... Looks to me as an emergency in the voice that made the whole song rough as I like

Junglelander... I dream to get one day that result with my daw... But too close to the original song to thrill me...

LoverInTheCold... Love your cover : a faster tempo than Bruce's, a front mixed guitar and a colorful voice... Hooked me

Okely Dokely... Are you playing the accordion and the harp ? Really great rhythmic to me, lead and musical arrangement. Sent me back in Louisiana... great

phantomengineer... Very very original. Like how the guitars, the drums and the voice work together to bring us a very coherent whole... not obvious when you listen each instrument seperatly… As others made think to the Modern Lovers and also to Johnny Thunders's voice... I loved

Tom Joad... I do not love this song… but I discover it's strengh thanks to you… the synth waves, the cello, the piano, the second voice… what a mess !!! all get together to bring us a real sadly strong atmosphere… made me remember of great Nick Cave's shows I've seen

Wolfinthepines…the slower tempo and the lighter arrangment let's the melody forward… and your voice make it like a "Petty's" way to me…a delicate cover

Yvan…one of my Springsteen favored song… what an arrangement : no bass or drums while it's a powerful song…love the synth waves coming from right and left…and the acoustic guitars in the back : Yeah…the whole creates a disillusioned ambience that suits me

About my cover… my first work with a real daw (with no latency)… love this tune I think it symbolizes a kind of R'N'R, a "macho" way : you don't want me but when I'll kiss you you'll be mine…which is not my way of looking relationships… so I worked on a counter foot by using a different type of voice witch can show less confidence : more romantic than conquering, more fragile in a way, with Jonathan Richman and Roy Orbinson in mind. As I worked, I added a chord to get a kind of "island sound"…

All is a "one shot" as I don't know actually how to use this daw completely, one track voice, two differents tracks guitars, three differents tracks ukulele, bass and drums written note to note as I yet don't know how to use a loop or a template…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

As promised

Demos - Soul Driver: Very nice ! I like your rythmic pattern and the dynamic you put in there.

Jerms23 - Empty Sky: a lot of emotion in your voice in this sober rendition. Seeing your post in the results thread, I understand that your emotion is still present...

Okely Dokely - Open All Night: I really like your cover. Without getting to far away from original, you give it a very interesting atmosphere with your voice, harp and accordion. Good job

Junglelander - Johnny Byebye: close to the orginal but very well executed, with a good rythmic section. Good job

LoverInTheCold - Richfield Whistle: well done winner !!

phantomengineer - Dancing in the Dark: to be honest it is not my preferred version. By the way, your job to re-arrange the song and mix it is impressive, with combination of guitars and right-left balance.

Tom Joad - Nothing Man: what a good job to reinvent the song and create something completely new. The musical atmosphere you create fits very well with the lyrics. Very nice mixing

transpirator - Fire: you already know that I appreciate your cover, with this pacific island spirit, with the long-awaited ukulele ;) What will be your next cover with drum loops in DAW... ?

wolfinthepines - Night Fire: I discover this Bruce's song through your cover. Very nice rendition. I didn't listen to the orginal, your version is perfect. Very good mixing. I like the bass presence. Your voice is great with something that looks like doubling effects.

yvan - Cover Me: Your also knwo that I really like your cover. Your subtle guitar playing, with a very interesting space balancing + right-left effect, is so great. The ambiance you manage to create is very nice.

Kitty's Back: no opinion on this one !!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like i missed it .... But damn i liked that Open All Night .....The Cajun/Zydeco influence was really unexpected and really cool !!!! 

I don't know if i like the song Night Fire ...But holy crap... What a wonderful recording .... great sound ...great vocals and super interesting instrumentation .... If you did all that yourself i might hate you :lol:..Amazing

• Like 1

Very impressed with Empty Sky also .... Nothing too fancy .... Just absolutely gorgeous acoustic guitar and a heartfelt vocal. Beautiful and of course a very moving song.